Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good at Lincoln/Knolls
Rain, rain, go away come again anothe.... finally, a good weather day at Lincoln. Arrived at the launch at 5:30 this morning expecting a nice calm and rain-free day only to find a pretty stiff wind blowing (1-2 mph forecast?). Decided to wait it out with Willie and Merle hoping the wind would subside. It did. About 6:00 or so Richard and Vi arrived and they also thought the wind was a bit much. We spent a few minutes playing with the white bass and then launched and headed for the Knolls. Light wind was a nuisance for about an hour or so and then it calmed down.

Catching started out kinda slow. Took me a half hour to find my first fish but it was a good one measuring 31 inches and weighing just under 13 pounds. Catching picked up as the wind died and the sun came up. I used white base for bait and caught 11 fish -- 13 if you count one whitie and a mudder. I caught two at 29 inches and two at 28 to go with my 31 incher. Touched bases (oars?) with R and V and they had about ten or so cats and a nice bunch of white bass. The wb were active all along the shoreline as they fed on midges and the yoy whities. I fished with minnows for a while but the wb were ripping off my bait faster than I could re-bait. A 7/0 circle with a chunk of wb helped keep the wb and mudders at bay.

Lots of algae in the water as the east wind blew it all over to the west side. Cats were big and strong with lots of pulling power. If the monsoon rains hold off for a few days I hope to get back out and give John, Jim, and Julie a bit of competition. The best is just getting started.

BLK/Lynn
Lynn, nice report. I'm glad someone gets out there. Im stuck at home again anticipating your reports. Keep em coming.
Well done.  Now if you can just find that 36er.
Way to go Lynn! I hadn't seen any pictures lately so I was about to check in and make sure you knew we were back to scoring 3 fish for the cat contest. 

Jon and I found some good fish out of Provo Saturday. We didn't get many, but some good ones. We also found a "mess" of WB that were fat and healthy. I filleted way to many, but they were in such good shape I wanted to put some in the freezer. It looks like a fantastic spawn this year and with the lower adult numbers after last year's die off the adults seem to be growing fast.

I'll get you fish scored soon. Looks like there will be lots of fish to add to the cat contest this week. I do the contest updates on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning and I'm still hoping to see something from R and V since you said they were out there.

Keep those big cats coming!
Fickle Fish! I went out this morning loaded for a day of serious pursuit of that 36 incher or at least something over 30. Perfect morning with calm water and overcast skies. Ketching started out slow and got worse. Fished the same area where fish were plentiful last Friday but today, I could not find a fish on the Lowrance or my line. I tried minnows, white bass and carp meat -- nothing produced. I finally gave up on the cats and decided to replenish my white bass supply -- couldn't find one. Last Friday there were white bass feeding voraciously all along the shoreline, today, nothing. Embarrassed, whipped, skunked and humiliated, I left for home to sulk for the rest of the day. Dunno what happened, never been that skunked before. Only explanation I can come up with is that the stars were in their juxtapositional orbits causing the fish to leave the area entirely... then again, the problem may be with the fisherman.

Anyway, my feelings are hurt and I have now sworn off fishing again until Wednesday. I have some cataract surgery scheduled next week so maybe better sight will help me find the fish again.

Vanity, vanity, all is vanity.

BLK/Lynn
Hope all goes well with the surgery. 

As for the fickle fish, I'd say the universe is just setting you up to have a great day when you aren't expecting it.
Probably the 36" was eating all the other fish and you just missed crossing it's path, but you must have been close... Find him next time, good luck... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Good job Lyn, it those WB are coming up along the shoreline for midges those eyes shouldnt be to far away, maybe throw a black and silver rapala or rattle trap around and see what might bight, Im sure youll pick up some WB but a big cat on light tackle if alot of fun.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]