Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I finally figured the Utah AIS changes out – I think.
Wink 
As usual, the state legislature passed a lot of bills during the regular 2023 legislative session.  One of the changes in the Utah Code involves the Aquatic Invasive Species Program (AIS).  And to add some confusion to the mix, the legislators decided that Title 23 (Wildlife Resources Act) should be renumbered to Title 23A.  Most, if not all, of these changes became effective on July 1, 2023.  Ain’t life fun?

So, how do these amendments and enactments impact you?  There are a couple of things most of you will want to know about.  First and foremost, is the cost increase.  The old, resident AIS fee was $10, and it was included in your boat registration total.  That $10 fee has been removed from your boat registration total and will now be handled as a separate, $20 fee which CAN be paid for at the DMV when you register or renew your registration.  It can also be paid online when you take the now REQUIRED (as of July 1, 2023) Mussel-Aware Boater Course.  If you took the course prior to July 1, 2023, that certification is good until December 31, 2023, and you were not able to pay the new $20 AIS fee through the course website.  Now you have the option to pay the new $20 fee online when you take the course.  Here is a link that details this for you: Is your boat registered in Utah? | Aquatic Invasive Species in Utah.  Also, remember this: A printed copy of the mussel-aware boater course completion certificate must be displayed on your vehicle windshield or dash when launching a boat at Utah’s reservoirs.  On your vessel, keep another copy of your mussel-aware boater course certificate — or save an image of the course completion certificate on your mobile device.

There is another ‘fly in the ointment’.  The boat registration and the AIS decal are both issued for 12 month’s from the date of purchase.  The Mussel-Aware Boater Course completion certificate is issued for the complete calendar year in which it was issued.  I spoke with a Division of Outdoor Recreation (DNR) about this, and they told me that they are aware of this issue and will try to correct it in the 2024 legislature.

So, if your 2023 registered for your boat was in January thru June, you won’t pay the new $20 fee until you renew in 2024.  If your 2023 boat registration occurs in July through December, you will pay the new $20 fee this year.  In either case, as of July 1, 2023, you MUST have completed the Mussel-Aware Boater Course and you MUST display the 2023 completion certificate on the dash of your tow vehicle at the time of launching your registered vessel.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Sounds like you've got it figured out Bob, Thanks for deciphering it all for us.
My boat registration comes due in November. To avoid that silly one month "gap" I think I'll wait to register it in February. Not gonna be using it for those months anyway.

Seems like it takes them until February to get the new mussel test up online anyway.
In the past I have always taken the AIS online test good for the complete calendar year. Boat registration comes due in March. I'll continue to take AIS online test in January and pay the $20 fee at the same time. It doesn't matter if that fee gets paid in January or March as the fee remains the same, expires Dec 31 regardless. I have fished in the past when able with winter conditions in January & on. Therefore, my boat is always ready. BTW, I always shrink a couple of copies (additional spare copies too) of the AIS certificate for display in the windshield, it is inserted into a plastic holder and stays taped to the lower driver's corner of the windshield and the same on the starboard side window on boat. I feel once you pay your fee and decal is issued, the AIS certificate shouldn't have to be displayed at least in the boat, that's my thought.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(08-05-2023, 08:34 PM)Bduck Wrote: In the past I have always taken the AIS online test good for the complete calendar year. Boat registration comes due in March. I'll continue to take AIS online test in January and pay the $20 fee at the same time. It doesn't matter if that fee gets paid in January or March as the fee remains the same, expires Dec 31 regardless. I have fished in the past when able with winter conditions in January & on. Therefore, my boat is always ready. BTW, I always shrink a couple of copies (additional spare copies too) of the AIS certificate for display in the windshield, it is inserted into a plastic holder and stays taped to the lower driver's corner of the windshield and the same on the starboard side window on boat. I feel once you pay your fee and decal is issued, the AIS certificate shouldn't have to be displayed at least in the boat, that's my thought.

Roger I don’t think that is the case, 12 months from date of purchase, cert is calendar year and reg is 12 months from whatever month
I know cert is calander, registration will not change every March for me
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(08-05-2023, 06:11 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Seems like it takes them until February to get the new mussel test up online anyway.
Rocky, I took the course for my 2023 certificate on December 31, 2022.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Hey Bob,
Do me a favor please?
Have the brainiacs in charge of this new AIS program PLEASE send out two stickers, one for our boats and one for our trailer, and then PLEASE junk the stupid rule you still have to keep a paper cert on our dash!!!!
That silly rule is almost as dumbed down as not being able to fillet Kokes at Strawberry Reservoir….
I swear, someone at the State is really trying hard to make us anglers more dumb than they think we are!
(08-08-2023, 01:32 AM)MrShane Wrote: Hey Bob,
Do me a favor please?
Have the brainiacs in charge of this new AIS program PLEASE send out two stickers, one for our boats and one for our trailer, and then PLEASE junk the stupid rule you still have to keep a paper cert on our dash!!!!
That silly rule is almost as dumbed down as not being able to fillet Kokes at Strawberry Reservoir….
I swear, someone at the State is really trying hard to make us anglers more dumb than they think we are!
Yeah; right!

[Image: Laughing.gif]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thanks for clarifying all thes new rules
Thanks for that thorough explanation. Here's how it went down for me.
My registration ends on July 31, 2023. I took my AIS test last week and passed it then printed out a certificate. I then went on line and renewed my boat registration until 7/31/24 and paid my registration and tax to the DMV and was notified by E-mail that my stickers would be coming through snail mail and just which stickers are coming.
I don't remember paying for my AIS ($20) anywhere in the process although I have a receipt dated Jan 3rd 2023 that I have paid my fee. Why the date of the receipt is that and not Aug 8, 2023 is beyond me.
So, I have;
A renewed registration temporary receipt with stickers on the way. from DMV
2, receipts showing that my vessel is registered with the AIS program for 2023. One for tow vehicle, one for vessel.
My certificate of passing the AIS exam.
Hope to get out on Friday morning, either EC, Jordy or Echo.
(08-09-2023, 07:13 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Thanks for that thorough explanation.  Here's how it went down for me.
My registration ends on July 31, 2023.  I took my AIS test last week and passed it then printed out a certificate.  I then went on line and renewed my boat registration until 7/31/24 and paid my registration and tax to the DMV and was notified by E-mail that my stickers would be coming through snail mail and just which stickers are coming.
I don't remember paying for my AIS ($20) anywhere in the process although I have a receipt dated Jan 3rd 2023 that I have paid my fee. Why the date of the receipt is that and not Aug 8, 2023 is beyond me.
So, I have;
2, receipts showing that my vessel is registered with the AIS program for 2023. One for tow vehicle, one for vessel.

I had to purchase my AIS decal on the AIS site but I had my certificate from taking it in January, so maybe when you took the test you paid for it then?
(08-09-2023, 09:01 PM)2knots Wrote:
(08-09-2023, 07:13 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Thanks for that thorough explanation.  Here's how it went down for me.
My registration ends on July 31, 2023.  I took my AIS test last week and passed it then printed out a certificate.  I then went on line and renewed my boat registration until 7/31/24 and paid my registration and tax to the DMV and was notified by E-mail that my stickers would be coming through snail mail and just which stickers are coming.
So, I have;

I had to purchase my AIS decal on the AIS site but I had my certificate from taking it in January, so maybe when you took the test you paid for it then?

When I drove to DNR on N Temple that is what they told me, that "someone" had paid...On January 3rd, someone paid. Maybe I took it then,  Back when you couldn't pay.  But they insisted their receipt is correct, that I have paid and that no further action is needed by me, the stickers are in the mail...We will see.
So, I have;
Please let us know what decals (stickers) you get that will be attached to your boat (vessel).
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(08-10-2023, 08:18 PM)dubob Wrote:
So, I have;
Please let us know what decals (stickers) you get that will be attached to your boat (vessel).

I'll keep ya posted as the saga continues, My confidence is not high.  I am glad I live close to the hive.
So, I have;

Bob, I received my sticker the other day and put it on my boat.
The State wants it on the port side, 6” behind the last decal of your bow number.
It is the same size as the yearly registration number.
Black letters on white sticker.
I talked to the AIS program manager a few days ago and asked if next year we could have an additional sticker ( they cost 46 cents each) for our trailers and then not have to deal with any paperwork on your dash.
I suggested we put them on trailer 6” behind ball coupler ( or as close as possible) so any LEO in the booth can see both stickers very quickly while entering/leaving a launch area. This way a LEO does not even have to get out of truck to look on dash if doing a parking lot drive by.
He said he would think about it. His concern of a trailer sticker was that it might weather too quickly by being dunked in water.
I told him if your coupler is in the water something drastic most likely went wrong.
He said he would think about it.
While it might be a good idea for some to put a decal near the coupler on the trailer, for others like mine there is a surge brake control reservoir holding brake fluid. There is always the possibility of fluid spillage or seeping thru from service port destroying the decal.
Harrisville UT
(08-12-2023, 01:23 PM)Bduck Wrote: While it might be a good idea for some to put a decal near the coupler on the trailer, for others like mine there is a surge brake control reservoir holding brake fluid. There is always the possibility of fluid spillage or seeping thru from service port destroying the decal.

Good point.
I also have a hydraulic surge brake and I suppose that could happen.
I sure would like some other option than the silly paper on the dash.
I launch a lot in the dark. If I have someone with me and we both open our doors the same time on a windy trip the chase is on!
The decal on the boat SHOULD be enough.  Why do I need to have anything on the tow vehicle dash or the trailer?  That is nothing but bovine excrement.  This is what you get when politicians that don't know diddly about an issue write up the rules governing the issue.  If the decal is on my boat, I have met all the AIS requirements for Utah.  How will putting a decal on my trailer or a certificate on my dash improve that?

The tow vehicle and/or the water vessel trailer are NOT the targeted AIS transport systems of interest to the state; the registered water vessel is.

Angry
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(08-11-2023, 06:25 PM)MrShane Wrote:
So, I have;

Bob, I received my sticker the other day and put it on my boat.
The State wants it on the port side, 6” behind the last decal of your bow number.
It is the same size as the yearly registration number.
Black letters on white sticker.
I talked to the AIS program manager a few days ago and asked if next year we could have an additional sticker ( they cost 46 cents each) for our trailers and then not have to deal with any paperwork on your dash.
I suggested we put them on trailer 6” behind ball coupler ( or as close as possible) so any LEO in the booth can see both stickers very quickly while entering/leaving a launch area. This way a LEO does not even have to get out of truck to look on dash if doing a parking lot drive by.
He said he would think about it. His concern of a trailer sticker was that it might weather too quickly by being dunked in water.
I told him if your coupler is in the water something drastic most likely went wrong.
He said he would think about it.
6" behind the last #... more Bovine Excrement...instead of right next to the registration sticker in a high contrasting base color so the fish cops could easily see both simultaneously, using the very expensive image stabilizing binoculars we bought for them, and only have to identify if the correct colors are present. All registrations and AIS would begin and end on say...Jan 31 of each year.