Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry has whirling disease
Today, I found out, from Alan Ward, Strawberry Project Leader with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, that whirling disease was discovered, in Strawberry, in 2011.  Perhaps this was widely known, but I was not aware of it.
I think your phone had a stroke
(08-09-2023, 07:03 PM)Kent Wrote: Today, I found out, from [font=Open Sans", -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol]Alan Ward, [/font]Strawberry Project Leader with the [font=Open Sans", -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol]Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, that whirling disease was discovered, in Strawberry, in 2011.  Perhaps this was widely known, but I was not aware of it.[/font]

Hey Kent, whenever you copy and paste something in a post you will get all that wierd stuff.  You have to go back in and edit it out.
(08-09-2023, 09:40 PM)big_griggs Wrote: I think your phone had a stroke

Not my phone (I used my desktop computer), but this website certainly had one.

(08-09-2023, 09:56 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(08-09-2023, 07:03 PM)Kent Wrote: Today, I found out, from [font=Open Sans", -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol]Alan Ward, [/font]Strawberry Project Leader with the [font=Open Sans", -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol]Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, that whirling disease was discovered, in Strawberry, in 2011.  Perhaps this was widely known, but I was not aware of it.[/font]

Hey Kent, whenever you copy and paste something in a post you will get all that wierd stuff.  You have to go back in and edit it out.

Duly noted and I usually notice that, but I was in a hurry.  The old website was not nearly as touchy and frustrating.
(08-09-2023, 10:42 PM)Kent Wrote:
(08-09-2023, 09:40 PM)big_griggs Wrote: I think your phone had a stroke

Not my phone (I used my desktop computer), but this website certainly had one.

(08-09-2023, 09:56 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Duly noted and I usually notice that, but I was in a hurry.  The old website was not nearly as touchy and frustrating.
Gee.  I hadn't noticed.
"The old website was not nearly as touchy and frustrating."

"Gee.  I hadn't noticed."

Ye, right. Wink
I think everywhere had whirling disease in 2011! Don’t hear as much about it now.
I feel like I'm getting whirly Sick everytime I go to the Berry.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(08-09-2023, 07:03 PM)Kent Wrote: Today, I found out, from Alan Ward, Strawberry Project Leader with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, that whirling disease was discovered, in Strawberry, in 2011.  Perhaps this was widely known, but I was not aware of it.

"Strawberry" has (had) whirling disease... or "fish" from Strawberry had whirling disease?

Hatcheries all over the US were cultivating/spreading whirling disease through the 90s (and 2000s). Utah hatcheries were no different. Strawberry Reservoir is stocked (heavily)... so it makes sense.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
(08-10-2023, 01:56 PM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote:
(08-09-2023, 07:03 PM)Kent Wrote: Today, I found out, from Alan Ward, Strawberry Project Leader with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, that whirling disease was discovered, in Strawberry, in 2011.  Perhaps this was widely known, but I was not aware of it.

"Strawberry" has (had) whirling disease... or "fish" from Strawberry had whirling disease?

Hatcheries all over the US were cultivating/spreading whirling disease through the 90s (and 2000s). Utah hatcheries were no different. Strawberry Reservoir is stocked (heavily)... so it makes sense.

well...maybe PRIVATE hatcheries had WD in Utah during the 90's -- and more specifically, private hatcheries owned and operated by the Leavitt (yes, governor) family in Wayne County.  But State run hatcheries were NOT "cultivating / spreading" whirling disease...

UDWR Whirling Disease Wrote:In 1991, the DWR discovered whirling disease in Utah in a series of private hatcheries and adjacent waters in the Fremont river drainage of Wayne county. Initially, an attempt was made to eradicate the parasite by removing fish from those streams and reservoirs for an extended period of time. That effort proved unsuccessful and since then, the parasite has been found the in several private hatcheries, one state hatchery and waters in Cache, Weber, Beaver, San Juan, Summit and Sevier counties.
(08-11-2023, 02:23 PM)PBH Wrote:
(08-10-2023, 01:56 PM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote:

well...maybe PRIVATE hatcheries had WD in Utah during the 90's -- and more specifically, private hatcheries owned and operated by the Leavitt (yes, governor) family in Wayne County.  But State run hatcheries were NOT "cultivating / spreading" whirling disease...

UDWR Whirling Disease Wrote:In 1991, the DWR discovered whirling disease in Utah in a series of private hatcheries and adjacent waters in the Fremont river drainage of Wayne county. Initially, an attempt was made to eradicate the parasite by removing fish from those streams and reservoirs for an extended period of time. That effort proved unsuccessful and since then, the parasite has been found the in several private hatcheries, one state hatchery and waters in Cache, Weber, Beaver, San Juan, Summit and Sevier counties.

Whirling disease has been found in fish from about a dozen different fisheries in Utah and probably present in many others (Green River has whirling disease I believe).

The diseased fish in Strawberry were Kokanee... which likely came from a hatchery... a state hatchery.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring