Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Brian's Canvas Products
On a recent thread, on here, discussing boat covers, I made the following statement:

"I have had two boat covers made by Brians Canvas.  The first one worked out OK (lasted 5 years) and the second one has been a disappointment (I will be replacing it this fall after only two years.).  They made the second cover too large and the flapping in the wind has destroyed it earlier than it should have."

I had decided to give Sugarhouse Awning a try, and I had already spoken to them; although, I left them, many years ago, because of an issue I had with a boat cover that they made for me.  I decided to give Brian's Canvas a chance to make it right.  I contacted them, by email, and I was invited to bring the boat by so that they could look at the cover.  I recently did so, and they immediately agreed that the cover had failed earlier than it should have.  Without me even asking, I was told that they would replace the cover.  I picked it up today, and as promised, it was covered under warranty, at no charge.  They added a strategic strap, on the new cover, that I believe will greatly cut down on the flapping, while I am driving down the road, and as a result, I am confident the new cover will last much longer than the one it replaced.  I was very pleased and impressed that they stood behind their work and made it right.

[Image: Boat-cover.jpg]
Kent, glad Brian's made it right for you. I've dealt with them for 10 or 12 years and never had an issue.  My current cover came with the same tie strings that are shown in your photo.
Just a suggestion: Those are alot of work to get secured to the cover / trailer each time. I replaced all of those on my newest cover with bungie cords.
The top of each bungie, I bent closed to the D rings on the cover that keeps them from getting lost, then installed an "Eye" bolt thru the trailer frame with the eye on the inside of the trailer frame directly down from the corresponding D ring on the cover. When I use the cover, I fit the front over the bow, pull the draw strings (para cord) tight at the transom and secure them. Then hook each bungie on both sides.  That pulls the cover snug. I can tow the boat down the freeway at 75+mph with no flapping or ballooning of the cover.

[Image: 077a.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(08-09-2023, 10:58 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Kent, glad Brian's made it right for you. I've dealt with them for 10 or 12 years and never had an issue.  My current cover came with the same tie strings that are shown in your photo.
Just a suggestion: Those are alot of work to get secured to the cover / trailer each time. I replaced all of those on my newest cover with bungie cords.
The top of each bungie, I bent closed to the D rings on the cover that keeps them from getting lost, then installed an "Eye" bolt thru the trailer frame with the eye on the inside of the trailer frame directly down from the corresponding D ring on the cover. When I use the cover, I fit the front over the bow, pull the draw strings (para cord) tight at the transom and secure them. Then hook each bungie on both sides.  That pulls the cover snug. I can tow the boat down the freeway at 75+mph with no flapping or ballooning of the cover.

I have used bungie cords on some covers, in the past, and found that the bungie cords would lose a lot of their stretch, rather quickly, and as a result would no longer keep the cover tight.  How long have you been using the current bungie cords?
Kent, do you have a ball park cost for a good boat cover from Brian's? Bought my last one online, decent material but doesn't fit perfectly even though you pick the boat manufacturer and model. Might consider Brian's in the future.
That is awesome service!
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
(08-10-2023, 02:14 AM)brookie Wrote: Kent, do you have a ball park cost for a good boat cover from Brian's? Bought my last one online, decent material but doesn't fit perfectly even though you pick the boat manufacturer and model. Might consider Brian's in the future.

The last one I purchased, on 11/8/21, cost $925 (before tax).  I have an 18 1/2' combo boat.
(08-11-2023, 12:42 PM)Kent Wrote:
(08-10-2023, 02:14 AM)brookie Wrote: Kent, do you have a ball park cost for a good boat cover from Brian's? Bought my last one online, decent material but doesn't fit perfectly even though you pick the boat manufacturer and model. Might consider Brian's in the future.

The last one I purchased, on 11/8/21, cost $925 (before tax).  I have an 18 1/2' combo boat.

Do you use it just as a travel cover or does your boat stay outside?

Thanks for the info
(08-11-2023, 06:29 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote:

Do you use it just as a travel cover or does your boat stay outside?

My boat stays outside year round.
(08-10-2023, 02:10 AM)Kent Wrote:
(08-09-2023, 10:58 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Kent, glad Brian's made it right for you. I've dealt with them for 10 or 12 years and never had an issue.  My current cover came with the same tie strings that are shown in your photo.

I have used bungie cords on some covers, in the past, and found that the bungie cords would lose a lot of their stretch, rather quickly, and as a result would no longer keep the cover tight.  How long have you been using the current bungie cords?

Since you have said you keep your cover on all the time, maybe bungies aren't the best for you. I keep my boat in a storage unit so it stays dry and out of the sun. I only use my cover when I'm traveling somewhere away from my local area or I will be gone over night (like from Clearfield to Utah Lake for a couple days) 
I had that cover made at Brian's in June 2016 and put a full set of bungies on it then.  I just replaced all the bungies this spring, so the first set had been in use about 6-7 years. But you have different use requirements. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool