Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grand Month at Utah Lake
I’ve been really poor about writing reports for a while, what with grandkids to prep for, newbies to train and video’s to edit. I decided to lump July into grand month. Here’s a short update on how it went

7/15/2023: Fished a little north of Provo with my grandsons Luke (12), William (8), and Seamus (6) along with my wife Julie. Water temp was about 75 and we fished the reed edges in 3-4 FOW from about 9 A.M. to noon. Total count was 10 cats from 22 to 30 inches. All came on thawed WB meat still fished with or without a bobber. Julie got the two best cats at 29.5 and 30, after the grandsons started to lose interest or said the fish were too strong for them.

[Image: Luke-s-Happy.jpg]

[Image: Seamus-says-It-s-Heavy.jpg]

[Image: William-s-Happy.jpg]

7/18/2023: Fished a little farther north of Provo along the reeds with my son Braden and 4 of his 5 children: Elise (11), Nathan (9), Juliette (7), and Sophia (5). Water Temp was 75 and we fished form about 8 to 11 A.M. The same bait and tackle as last week yielded 8 cats from 19 to 28.5 inches. The best Cat was a 28.5 inches and caught by Juliette.  

[Image: Elise-s-Happy.jpg]

[Image: Juliette-s-not-sure.jpg]

[Image: Nathan-s-Happy.jpg]

[Image: Sophie-s-Happy.jpg]

7/24/2023: Fished out of Lincoln with Julie’s nephew Terrance and two of his sons Kai (8) and Theo (4) from 7:30 to about 10:30 A.M. Again we fished in 3-4 FOW but that was a long cast outside the reed edges. This trip we mostly strolled at 0.5 MPH with FLAITs and WB meat. The previous 2 trips we couldn’t buy a white bass and this trip they almost jumped in the boat. Theo hooked one a flicker shad just outside the harbor but it came off at the boat. The next hit more than made up for it as he landed 3 at once. One was a on a lead fly ahead of the flicker shad and the other two were on the front and back hooks of the crankbait. That is the first time I‘ve personally seen two fish on one crank and he ended up getting 3 “First Fish.”
The water was still 75 degrees but the fishing was hotter. For the morning we ended up with 15 cats from 17 to 27.5 inches and 15 white bass and some of those were 12”.

[Image: Kai-s-Happy.jpg]

[Image: Theo-s-First-Fish.jpg]

7/29/2023: Ended up in the same area as the week before doing about the same things, but the fish ended up being in 5-6 FOW. This time I fished with Jon and a newbie to our Utah Lake fishing, named David. The water was a little warmer, from 78-80 degrees, but the fishing was slower. We ended up with half a dozen whites and about a dozen cats from 22 to 28 inches. When I commented that fishing was slower than usual David replied “I’d like know your definition a good fishing!”                       

[Image: David-s-Happy.jpg]
Wow great report and great month and most of all great memories with grand kids....
Sounds like an awesome month on the water to me!