Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fligging at Willard.
I took some neighbor kids and one of my buddies out to Willard. We had to wait a couple minutes for the gate to open and then promptly launched,  poles in before 6:30am  in Freeway Bay. We fished the entire length of freeway bay at .5 miles an hour with a variety of flig colors with and without spinners. No action so we scooted across the pond to the Light Pole and pulled cranks down the west wall with no love. We then turned east and dropped the fligs at my favorite GPS way point.  We picked up our first cat of the day at 10 am. Ten minutes later two of my guest had to go, we ran them back to the dock. After that we went back to Freeway Bay and struck out again. We then went back to my way point and put 8 cats in the boat between 11:30 and 1:30. We got them using red sided shiners and carp meat from Sportsman. Fire tiger was our most productive color.
[Image: IMG-1369.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1372.jpg]
Hi
Nice haul Shawn, looks like some good ones there. How deep of water were you fligging in?
(08-12-2023, 12:48 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice haul Shawn, looks like some good ones there. How deep of water were you fligging in?
We got them on some humps in 20+’ between the west wall and the Island.
(08-12-2023, 12:56 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(08-12-2023, 12:48 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice haul Shawn, looks like some good ones there. How deep of water were you fligging in?

I'm sure this has changed since the last time I was there but is the water level still up to the parking lot there at the South marina?
(08-12-2023, 01:10 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I'm sure this has changed since the last time I was there but is the water level still up to the parking lot there at the South marina?
I launched from the North, water is still pretty high but has come down slightly it around 97%
(08-12-2023, 01:10 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Nice we were there also and got 4 cats and one small wiper. We caught ours on the west wall pulling cranks in a silver color.
Good to know some people are still catching some fish at Willard. Maybe things will pick up in fall.
How were the bugs?
(08-12-2023, 01:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: How were the bugs?

The bugs ranged from not bad to mildly annoying at times.
Guess the cats just wanted to sleep in before playing. Bet those kids had a good time of it though!
(08-12-2023, 04:34 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: Guess the cats just wanted to sleep in before playing.  Bet those kids had a good time of it though!

When we left at 1 the dnr we're  moving and adjusting the docks at the so marina 
[Image: 20230811-132305.jpg]
(08-12-2023, 04:42 PM)oldguy Wrote:
(08-12-2023, 04:34 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: Guess the cats just wanted to sleep in before playing.  Bet those kids had a good time of it though!

When we left at 1 the dnr we're  moving and adjusting the docks at the so marina 

From your photo, it appears the water is no longer up to the parking spots, is that correct?
(08-12-2023, 07:21 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

From your photo, it appears the water is no longer up to the parking spots, is that correct?
Yep it is at the weeds.
(08-12-2023, 08:28 PM)oldguy Wrote:

Yep it is at the weeds.

No where near as low as last year at this time, that's nice.
(08-12-2023, 10:41 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-12-2023, 08:28 PM)oldguy Wrote:

Yep it is at the weeds.

No where near as low as last year at this time, that's nice.

Curt, I was just out at WB today (14 Aug). Launched from the south marina.  The overall water level looks to maybe have dropped about 1 to 2 feet by the water mark on the jetty walls going out the south channel.  But the boat basin and the channel are still plenty deep for most of us fishing fellows. Maybe starting to get a little iffy right at the launch ramps for some of the bigger power squadron boats. The 20 to 23 footers I saw launching today as I was leaving didn't seem to be having any problems. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(08-14-2023, 08:06 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:    Curt, I was just out at WB today (14 Aug). Launched from the south marina.  The overall water level looks to maybe have dropped about 1 to 2 feet by the water mark on the jetty walls going out the south channel.  But the boat basin and the channel are still plenty deep for most of us fishing fellows. Maybe starting to get a little iffy right at the launch ramps for some of the bigger power squadron boats. The 20 to 23 footers I saw launching today as I was leaving didn't seem to be having any problems. 

First of all...how was the fishing?  Secondly, did you try fishing in the channel at all?  It can be productive at times this time of year.
(08-14-2023, 08:06 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:    Curt, I was just out at WB today (14 Aug). Launched from the south marina.  The overall water level looks to maybe have dropped about 1 to 2 feet by the water mark on the jetty walls going out the south channel.  But the boat basin and the channel are still plenty deep for most of us fishing fellows. Maybe starting to get a little iffy right at the launch ramps for some of the bigger power squadron boats. The 20 to 23 footers I saw launching today as I was leaving didn't seem to be having any problems. 
If it only dropped a foot or two that likely won't stop those big boats from launching. Same question as Pat, how was the fishing?
(08-14-2023, 10:32 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-14-2023, 08:06 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:    Curt, I was just out at WB today (14 Aug). Launched from the south marina.  The overall water level looks to maybe have dropped about 1 to 2 feet by the water mark on the jetty walls going out the south channel.  But the boat basin and the channel are still plenty deep for most of us fishing fellows. Maybe starting to get a little iffy right at the launch ramps for some of the bigger power squadron boats. The 20 to 23 footers I saw launching today as I was leaving didn't seem to be having any problems. 
If it only dropped a foot or two that likely won't stop those big boats from launching. Same question as Pat, how was the fishing?

I went back out Saturday evening with Shawn and we only managed 2 in in the boat and several missed fish between 4-8:30pm Saturday where I caught them Friday, I’ll be back out Friday with Fast Randy. Pink Wherly flig caught both Saturday.
(08-14-2023, 09:56 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(08-14-2023, 08:06 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:    Curt, I was just out at WB today (14 Aug). Launched from the south marina.  The overall water level looks to maybe have dropped about 1 to 2 feet by the water mark on the jetty walls going out the south channel.  But the boat basin and the channel are still plenty deep for most of us fishing fellows. Maybe starting to get a little iffy right at the launch ramps for some of the bigger power squadron boats. The 20 to 23 footers I saw launching today as I was leaving didn't seem to be having any problems. 

First of all...how was the fishing?  Secondly, did you try fishing in the channel at all?  It can be productive at times this time of year.

Is it legal to take a boat up the channel?
(08-14-2023, 11:07 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(08-14-2023, 10:32 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: If it only dropped a foot or two that likely won't stop those big boats from launching. Same question as Pat, how was the fishing?

I went back out Saturday evening with Shawn and we only managed 2 in in the boat and several missed fish between 4-8:30pm Saturday where I caught them Friday, I’ll be back out Friday with Fast Randy. Pink Wherly flig caught both Saturday.

Glad you got back out there, too bad the catching was so poor, hopefully you and Randy do better on Fri.