Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell Camping / Fishing Recs
Hello All,

Just moved back to Utah recently after being gone for 20+ yrs.  A lot has changed but I’ve been able get out and fish some old spots.  One place I never made it to was Lake Powell.  I’m trying to plan a trip with my son down to Lake Powell to camp and get out on the Lake.  We have a little 14 ft aluminum boat that we would head out on.  It’s been a little difficult to find info on where to camp and fish with the changing of the lake levels.  Anybody have any recommendations on best camping and fishing spots down there.  Any info would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
Stanton Creek out of bullfirg is about the easiest to access cell service is available and the marina is close by if you need anything there is also a camp ground right at bullfrog with all the goodies if that's more your speed of want to be away from all the people blue notch is a good bet. If you like that route be aware it is a four wheel drive road and it's not a suggestion but people get there small boats and trailers in there ther are no services and you have to lunch from the dirt which can be it's own set of problems. I suggest you get on Wayne's words.com or net there is a lot of very good information on there. As for fishing the stripers are boiling now and shorter days and cooler temps will make the fishing better for all the species soon. Hope this helps
Thanks Bubman1! It certainly does.
Don’t try towing a boat to blue notch unless you drive the road without a trailer first. A breakdown could be very $$$$$$.
Depending on what size motor you're running. I don't think I'd be venturing to far from a marina with a 14ft boat. Lake Powel can get downright nasty at times. Good luck.
(08-12-2023, 05:24 PM)TT600 Wrote: Don’t try towing a boat to blue notch unless you drive the road without a trailer first. A breakdown could be very $$$$$$.

X2 I've taken a truck camper and drift boat back there, but wont ever again. That road can get HAIRY.
(08-13-2023, 03:18 AM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote:
(08-12-2023, 05:24 PM)TT600 Wrote: Don’t try towing a boat to blue notch unless you drive the road without a trailer first. A breakdown could be very $$$$$$.

X2 I've taken a truck camper and drift boat back there, but wont ever again. That road can get HAIRY.

It’s a lot easier without a trailer. The rule of thumb is if you have a trailer launch at bullfrog and drive up. If no trailer then you can consider blue notch.
(08-12-2023, 04:46 PM)alwysfishin Wrote: Hello All,

Just moved back to Utah recently after being gone for 20+ yrs.  A lot has changed but I’ve been able get out and fish some old spots.  One place I never made it to was Lake Powell.  I’m trying to plan a trip with my son down to Lake Powell to camp and get out on the Lake.  We have a little 14 ft aluminum boat that we would head out on.  It’s been a little difficult to find info on where to camp and fish with the changing of the lake levels.  Anybody have any recommendations on best camping and fishing spots down there.  Any info would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

https://wayneswords.net/    is definitely the authority on LP.
Those Lake Powell Tour Boat wakes will sink a 14' boat with ease. They've been known to sink a few wakeboard boats under tow behind house boats. I don't think I would chance the main channel.
Don't forget about all the Invasive Mussel issues. Be sure to have your boat professionally cleaned before you leave Glen Canyon area.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool