Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That's 2 for me
Dropped a Swiss Army pocket knife overboard at Fish Lake today.  That makes two of em swimming around in Fish Lake for me. First one fell off the sled while ice fishing. That first knife my son brought back from Switzerland and gave it to me. He had even gotten it engraved for me.

I'm certain I'm not the only one who has dropped something overboard. 

Any memorable items you guys have sent swimming?
Yes, iPhone at Soldier Creek while ice fishing a few years ago. Luckily I had recently backed up the photos. And I got a new phone! Now I use a tether…

jack of all tackle, master of none
My years in a kayak taught me to tether anything I didn't want to go blub blub blub. I recently almost kicked a rod and reel overboard while reaching for something. That's about as close as I've ever gotten.
One nice rod and reel fell out of my boat while crossing Bear Lake in my boat. I hooked one rod while casting another rod and the rod I hooked landed in the water.
Multiple pairs of sunglasses. Knife, tackle box.

Now I bring a large magnet with a long rope.
When Rosie (our mini goldendoodle) was wee puppy she jumped out of the boat and I (Jil) went overboard trying to bring her back in. Luckily Jeff was there to bring us both safely in. 

Rosie still LOVES any and all water she can get into.
I dumped my brand new electric trolling motor in pelican lake earlier this year! Sickest feeling I’ve had in a long time! Nice one with gps and everything. Couldnt retrieve it that day and a good effort but went back a week later and my prayers were answered by a miracle and we found it! Dang thing even ended up still working after we dried it out! Chalk one up for MotorGuide!
I was on Deer Creek this last weekend anchored up near the floating playground and just swimming in the nice cool water with some family. Was goofing around with my nephew and acted like he bumped me into the water and forgot to hold onto my sunglasses when I went in. $150 pair of oakleys took a nice slow dive to the bottom. bummer.

another one for ya.... about 10 years ago, my daughter and some friends were ice fishing at scofield when a nice fat bow took her pole straight down the hole near the marina. totally bummed her out, but her friend that came with us decided to move into her hole since it had been productive up to that point. He gets a nice bite, reels in the fish and it had her hook and pole still connected in it's mouth and we got the whole rig back. was a nice fat 2 lb bow.
Leaned over to pull in a cat and my gopro went for a swim. After some fancy dragging work I was able to snag it.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I've got a couple good ones. First one, several years ago, a little kid and his dad were ice fishing utah lake and the kid threw his dad's rod down the hole. My dad about 20 minutes later snagged it with a blade bait so we caught their rod back for them! Second one, my dad and I were fishing in our float tubes at Utah lake a few years ago and we both take 2 rods each out with us. My dad was messing around with one of them and turned around to see his other one disappeared! About an hour or 2 later, I was reeling in a fish that just felt different. Seconds later, out comes my dad's rod with the white bass still with his lure in it! Crazy I was able to get it back for my dad after that long! The fish must have been in the area and my lure just was there at the right spot at the right time to hook onto the rod. Can't believe the fish was still with it that whole time!
The only time I snagged a rod and reel at Willard, there was a catfish on it. Looooong dead catfish. The rod and reel weren't in any better shape. I just dropped it back in.
(08-16-2023, 02:40 PM)percheye Wrote: Multiple pairs of sunglasses. Knife, tackle box.

Now I bring a large magnet with a long rope.

My bride told me to get the knife back with the magnet.  I pointed out that my magnets don't work on stainless steel.  I asked her if I could borrow her expensive one that does work on stainless but she said she had left it at home.

Magnet for tackle box would sure work good.

(08-17-2023, 12:17 AM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: The only time I snagged a rod and reel at Willard, there was a catfish on it. Looooong dead catfish. The rod and reel weren't in any better shape. I just dropped it back in.

yuck
I've never lost anything 'knock on wood' but have reeled in an ice fishing rod and reel at Rockport last summer.
(08-17-2023, 10:11 PM)lovetofish Wrote: I've never lost anything 'knock on wood' but have reeled in an ice fishing rod and reel at Rockport last summer.

I lose something  every time I go  out to Willard MY MIND trying to figure out how to not leave there  with a skunk on my boat!!!!