Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
NBC Day Willard 8-17-23 (With Video)
LINK TO VIDEO

Planned a short morning trip to Willard...to see if anything might not be so stuffed on baby shad that they would "yawn" for something I offered.  Was supposed to get hot later so I set my departure time for about 11.  I lived and fished in Arizona for 20 years but never learned to like the heat.

Got to the south marina about 6:15.  Still mostly dark.  Getting lighter later.  Air temp a nice 65...warming to 90 by noonish.  Water temp 75 at launch and 78 at return.  Only two boats launching when I did and only a couple more through the morning.  One of the guys in a boat said he had blanked his last two trips.  Wondered if I shoulda stood in bed.
[Image: WILLARD-LAUNCH-8-17-23.jpg]

I have caught fish in the channel this time of year before so that's where I started.  Dragged baited fligs all the way out from the buoy to the mouth of the channel.  Saw little on sonar and zippo on my lines.  As soon as I got out into the main lake I began to see shad balls on sonar...some big and some small...from about 10 feet of water out to 15 or 16 feet.  I eventually worked out as far as 20 feet of depth but saw few shad and fewer fish beyond about 16 feet.
[Image: LOTSA-SHAD.jpg]

I had started by using minnow-baited whirly fligs in white or blue-back silver...the colors that have produced for me in the past at this time of year...when baby shad are the main menu item.  Nary a sniff for the first half hour.  Then I switched one rod to one with a fire tiger buzz whirly crawler rig...still in my rod arsenal from my last walleye trip in June.  Put on a fresh crawler, pitched it out and almost immediately caught the first kitty of the day.  Then caught several more...including a bitty kitty that managed to snarf the bottom stinger hook on the crawler rig.  Smallest cat I have caught in Willard for several years.
[Image: FT-BUZZ.jpg]  [Image: BITTY-KITTY.jpg]

After failing to find fish in deeper water, I settled into working on either side of 14'.  That's where I saw the most shad...and a few non-shad marks as well.  But after the crawler rig quit getting bit I started rotating different colors of whirly fligs...baited with a half chub minnow.  Had a few pop and drops that were either perch or more bitty kitties but also started hooking up with some bigger cats.  Ended up bringing in about a dozen...with several in the two footer size range. Much fun.
[Image: P-TIGER.jpg] [Image: O-TIGER.jpg] [Image: BLUEBACK-SILVER.jpg]

Put away the kitty tackle a bit after 10 and began trolling some small cranks back to the Marina.  Have caught some nice wipers on those in the past...when they are targeting small shad.  No hits, no runs no fish.  Back at the ramp about 11ish.  Parking lot at the ramp was mostly empty.

I had kept a limit of 8 cats...figuring I could make short work of them at the cleaning station without having to make a mess at home.   WRONG!!!!!  Once again some doofus (or doofii) had left the grinder clogged up with fish parts.  Grumbled all the way home.
[Image: EIGHT-ATE.jpg]
Good to read you made a victorious return to Willard, great report and video, too bad the cleaning station was out of order. Since they put that new cleaning station in, you see less of it getting clogged but there is always that one guy that just don't get it Sad
Looks like you had some nice calm conditions out there as well.
(08-18-2023, 01:40 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Good to read you made a victorious return to Willard, great report and video, too bad the cleaning station was out of order. Since they put that new cleaning station in, you see less of it getting clogged but there is always that one guy that just don't get it Sad
Yep.  Couldn't have asked for nicer conditions.  What I call a "no no" day...no bugs, no skiers, no wakeboarders.  But no wipers, walleyes, crappies or perch either.  Glad the everlovin' kitties came out to play.  Good tugs.  

But the no cleaning station just about ruined it.  First time in a long time I have seen the south marina facility inoperable.  Totally jam packed with mostly catfish heads.  Some peoples' kids.
(08-18-2023, 02:00 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 01:40 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Good to read you made a victorious return to Willard, great report and video, too bad the cleaning station was out of order. Since they put that new cleaning station in, you see less of it getting clogged but there is always that one guy that just don't get it Sad
Yep.  Couldn't have asked for nicer conditions.  What I call a "no no" day...no bugs, no skiers, no wakeboarders.  But no wipers, walleyes, crappies or perch either.  Glad the everlovin' kitties came out to play.  Good tugs.  

But the no cleaning station just about ruined it.  First time in a long time I have seen the south marina facility inoperable.  Totally jam packed with mostly catfish heads.  Some peoples' kids.

I went to use the south cleaning station today. Found 2 almost complete monster Carp  jammed into the feed chute. 
  I turned on the grinder, and gave them a couple shoves.  They went down, but it sure sounded as if they were gonna jam it up good. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(08-24-2023, 09:47 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:    I went to use the south cleaning station today. Found 2 almost complete monster Carp  jammed into the feed chute. 
  I turned on the grinder, and gave them a couple shoves.  They went down, but it sure sounded as if they were gonna jam it up good. 

Thanks for being the good guy you are and cleaning up that mess that someone else made Forest.
(08-24-2023, 09:56 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 09:47 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:    I went to use the south cleaning station today. Found 2 almost complete monster Carp  jammed into the feed chute. 

Thanks for being the good guy you are and cleaning up that mess that someone else made Forest.
  Not a problem. It isn't the first time.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool