Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perch are hungry little buggers
Opted for a change of pace and decided to chase rainbows at Rockport. Caught a bunch of mid-teen bows trolling squids. Fish were holding around 25 feet down. Would have caught more except for the perch. I marked schools holding at 25 ft over depths from 70 to 100 feet down. Everytime I hit a school I had to reel in my gear because there would be a perch on it. Worse than cutts on the Berry. I was trolling in 70 feet and was getting hit so often I moved to deeper water and the perch were out there as well. Caught a grundle of 7 to 9 inchers. The photo below is just one of the times I had two on same lure.

Should be good ice fishing this winter.

[Image: 20230818-102745.jpg]
Perch are like walleye: the one sure way to not catch them is to fish deliberately for them.
Wow, those perch are aggressive. Yeah those cold-footers will be in perch heaven on ice up.
The chubs did the same thing to me the other day at Lost Creek while I was trolling for Kokanee.
I’m looking forward to the hard deck at Rockport this winter. Had some really good days there last winter. Rockport and Utah Lake seem to be the lakes that are “on” for perch these days. Used to be Hyrum and Pineview, but can’t buy a perch in them anymore. Echo has some good ones, but it seems to have been mostly “off” too as of late.
Checked with a guy who was fishing off the docks when I came in. Using a worm and a jig. Had some nice perch in his bucket. One was a true jumbo. Large schools of YOY perch swimming around boat ramp as well. Rockport should be good for perch for several years.