Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nightcrawler storage box
After making my electric nightcrawler getter [My electric nightcrawler getter (bigfishtackle.com)] I created a new problem, how to keep a bunch of nightcrawlers alive.  I thought back when I was a youngster and my dad made a nightcrawler storage box that worked well.  I improved some on his model and made one of my own.  I already had everything that I needed with the exception of some door screen wire.  I think it turned out well, and I will likely make another one, so that I can catch a bunch in the late fall, and not have to buy any nightcrawlers over the winter.

[Image: crawlers-box-1.jpg]

[Image: crawlers-box-2.jpg]
I had an old cooler buried in the ground to keep my stash in. Worked great. I could dig a few out of it in a hurry and be headed out. Kept them in great shape
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
My nightcrawler storage spot is WalMart. I buy a dozen, use two of them not catching fish and then release the rest in my wife's flower bed.
My dad setup 2 old ringer style wash machine tubs for red worms. Those were a great container for raising them. Redworms were our go to bait while we resided in Alabama. We didn't use crawlers as much with exception for catfish sometimes. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(08-19-2023, 01:30 AM)Kent Wrote: After making my electric nightcrawler getter [My electric nightcrawler getter (bigfishtackle.com)] I created a new problem, how to keep a bunch of nightcrawlers alive.  I thought back when I was a youngster and my dad made a nightcrawler storage box that worked well.  I improved some on his model and made one of my own.  I already had everything that I needed with the exception of some door screen wire.  I think it turned out well, and I will likely make another one, so that I can catch a bunch in the late fall, and not have to buy any nightcrawlers over the winter.

where ya gonna keep it in the winter to protect from freezing?

(08-19-2023, 02:58 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I had an old cooler buried in the ground to keep my stash in. Worked great. I could dig a few out of it in a hurry and be headed out. Kept them in great shape

I buried an old cooler also a few years ago but my problem was feeding them I think.  Couldn't keep em alive.
(08-19-2023, 07:33 PM)PACMEN Wrote:
(08-19-2023, 01:30 AM)Kent Wrote: After making my electric nightcrawler getter [My electric nightcrawler getter (bigfishtackle.com)] I created a new problem, how to keep a bunch of nightcrawlers alive.  I thought back when I was a youngster and my dad made a nightcrawler storage box that worked well.  I improved some on his model and made one of my own.  I already had everything that I needed with the exception of some door screen wire.  I think it turned out well, and I will likely make another one, so that I can catch a bunch in the late fall, and not have to buy any nightcrawlers over the winter.

where ya gonna keep it in the winter to protect from freezing?

(08-19-2023, 02:58 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I had an old cooler buried in the ground to keep my stash in. Worked great. I could dig a few out of it in a hurry and be headed out. Kept them in great shape

I buried an old cooler also a few years ago but my problem was feeding them I think.  Couldn't keep em alive.

Just in my attached garage.  As long as I don't leave the garage door open, for an extended period of time, it stays above freezing.  Right now, I have it in my basement, on the floor, in an area that is neither heated or cooled.  It is a little warmer than I prefer, but I'm hoping for the best.