Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weather or Not ?
Maybe I've turned into a Fair Weather fisherman, or maybe I just don't know anybody that wants to go for a boat ride in the rain...Do any of you go out irregardless of forecasts that call for rain, like all this week? When committed and already somewhere like at the Gorge, I've been out in light rain for awhile, but I guess for now I'm just thinking for places more local, like Willard, Echo, R.P., E.C., L.C., maybe Strawberry...This is for being in a boat...do you chance it, or wait for a better weather forecast?
For some reason I've never been able to detect an aversion to rain in any fish species. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that they are already wet? I usually don't let a little rain spoil my plans and have had some great days on the water. In fact, overcast skies are a plus in my book. Big wind or lightning are a no-go but some rain is no problem.
A little rain is okay especially after you've driven a long way, but a downpour is another story. I'm more prone to wind and lightning. That definitely keeps me off the water. The wind and large waves don't seem to bother some fishermen but I'm not one of them. A little chop is okay but I had one bad experience because the wind and now when the wind comes up, I'm pretty much gone.
Tired of rain this year. Completely rained out (heavy heavy rain) on TWO fishing trips this year...after traveling far and had to literally just come home.  And SO tired of wiping down the boat after each trip only to get RAINED ON and dirty on the way home.  100% of the time this year....and I've been out a lot.
Kind of tired of it.  I liked it better when we were in a drought.  Big Grin

But to answer your question...if I can absolutely see that it's going to be crappy weather, and I don't have money down (hotel/accomodations/guides/etc.) I will cancel and just reschedule.   And we always look at the weather before going. I don't mind a few sprinkles, but heavy rain and wind and I am out.

But the underlying issue I have with weather is that generally bad weather is associated with a low pressure...which I believe affects the fishing.  That's a topic for another rainy day however.
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
As a former pilot, I take weather seriously. I don't mind being out not catching fish in good weather, but not catching fish in lousy weather is no fun. And I do not tempt lightning at all.

Have only been out a couple times this year while recovering from back issues. Now that school is back and Labor Day will soon be behind us, I plan to get out a few times. Until then, it'll be a zoo out there. No thanks.
Some of my best fishing came with a shower. As long as the thunderstorms don't come, I can handle some rain. The 8' lightning rod on my boat is an invitation for Thor therefore I run for cover. Now that age is my plague, I'll be staying home when weather turns on. A winters day sun run is sometimes tempting only when the deck hasn't turned hard.  
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
My boat has a full canvas/vinyl window cover, so if I'm at the Gorge, I'll fish in a LIGHT rain.  If I'm home, I'll wait for better weather.  In no case will I be on the water if lightning is present or forecast.  If the wind is causing white caps, I'll wait also.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I love fishing in the rain usually by myself then it's up to me to call it. Some of my best days have been in nasty weather. Willard hyrum and Mantua have all been good in the past top water is usually my go to. Pine view used to be my go to I swear muskie bite better in bad weather big both big fish and numbers. But those days are long gone we all know the reasons why.
You know what they say......

The fish don't care, they're already wet!!
Good thoughts from all..I too have been 'caught' in rain in the Uintah's, trolling or fly fishing from my canoe, and remembering the bite getting hot..That was a lot of years ago, maybe youth contributing to a 'don't care' attitude..but the fishing sure was good...so I also believe there is an effect on the bite from high pressure to low pressure..but not always reliable, just like the fishing 'solunar charts'..my records have shown me many days ice fishing at Strawberry having twice as many hits on a 'low pressure' day compared to sunny, 'high pressure' days...BUT...now being an OG, I guess I'm fishing/boating more for the overall enjoyment of the outing, relaxing, testing techniques and new gear, etc...So, like some of you have also said, I'll probably stay home if the prediction is for rainy weather..But where's that 'go for it' cut off chance for rain..10%?, 20?, 30?..SHEESH!
(08-22-2023, 11:13 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Maybe I've turned into a Fair Weather fisherman, or maybe I just don't know anybody that wants to go for a boat ride in the rain...Do any of you go out irregardless of forecasts that call for rain, like all this week? When committed and already somewhere like at the Gorge, I've been out in light rain for awhile, but I guess for now I'm just thinking for places more local, like Willard, Echo, R.P., E.C., L.C., maybe Strawberry...This is for being in a boat...do you chance it, or wait for a better weather forecast?

I don't mind a little rain, but the wind will ruin a trip for me.  I hate trying to keep the boat straight and getting blown all over when the wind is blowing.  Waves aren't usually a problem, I have a 22' tritoon but the dumb thing is like a sail in the wind.
Getting it back on the %$*#$! trailer is my wind issue.
(08-23-2023, 09:45 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Getting it back on the %$*#$! trailer is my wind issue.
Funny you should mention that Rocky; I have one of those %$*#$! trailers.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(08-23-2023, 08:28 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Good thoughts from all..I too have been 'caught' in rain in the Uintah's, trolling or fly fishing from my canoe, and remembering the bite getting hot..That was a lot of years ago, maybe youth contributing to a 'don't care' attitude..but the fishing sure was good...so I also believe there is an effect on the bite from high pressure to low pressure..but not always reliable, just like the fishing 'solunar charts'..my records have shown me many days ice fishing at Strawberry having twice as many hits on a 'low pressure' day compared to sunny, 'high pressure' days...BUT...now being an OG, I guess I'm fishing/boating more for the overall enjoyment of the outing, relaxing, testing techniques and new gear, etc...So, like some of you have also said, I'll probably stay home if the prediction is for rainy weather..But where's that 'go for it' cut off chance for rain..10%?, 20?, 30?..SHEESH!

I always reverse it. The forecast this morning was for 70 percent chance of great fishing weather, not 30 percent chance of rain. And yes, I'm extremely grateful I hit the berry for one of my better days this year!
(08-24-2023, 09:56 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote:
(08-23-2023, 08:28 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Good thoughts from all..I too have been 'caught' in rain in the Uintah's, trolling or fly fishing from my canoe, and remembering the bite getting hot..That was a lot of years ago, maybe youth contributing to a 'don't care' attitude..but the fishing sure was good...so I also believe there is an effect on the bite from high pressure to low pressure..but not always reliable, just like the fishing 'solunar charts'..my records have shown me many days ice fishing at Strawberry having twice as many hits on a 'low pressure' day compared to sunny, 'high pressure' days...BUT...now being an OG, I guess I'm fishing/boating more for the overall enjoyment of the outing, relaxing, testing techniques and new gear, etc...So, like some of you have also said, I'll probably stay home if the prediction is for rainy weather..But where's that 'go for it' cut off chance for rain..10%?, 20?, 30?..SHEESH!

I always reverse it. The forecast this morning was for 70 percent chance of great fishing weather, not 30 percent chance of rain. And yes, I'm extremely grateful I hit the berry for one of my better days this year!
Any kokes or was it a nothing but cutts day?