Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Consumed Fish in USA...top 25 (updated)
I have worked in commercial fishing and since I still keep and consume a lot of what I catch, [b]so I found this article kinda interesting.  I thought others might like to read it too.[/b]

Attached Files
.pdf   25 Most Consumed Fish in the US.pdf (Size: 201.46 KB / Downloads: 91)
Sorry.  Original PDF file was missing the last 5 species.  That has been corrected.
Interesting list.
So how are menhaden consumed?? I thouught they were used primarily for fish meal and pet food!! nice article!!
(08-28-2023, 07:05 PM)Therapist Wrote: So how are menhaden consumed?? I thouught they were used primarily for fish meal and pet food!!  nice article!!

I think the reports are based upon total weight harvested in a year...rather than whether or not it is consumed by humans.  But that is contradictory to the title of the article.  Hmmmm?
It doesn't say consumed by what. Animal food counts as consumed.
(08-28-2023, 08:50 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: It doesn't say consumed by what. Animal food counts as consumed.
Right ye be.  Never saw menhaden sushi listed on any menu...or blackened menhaden...or ???????

Secondary consumption count? If it's used to feed critters that humans eventually eat you can make the case for human consumption.
That list is totally bogus.  Not one mention of perch, crappie, or walleye.   Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(08-28-2023, 10:15 PM)stan55 Wrote: Secondary consumption count? If it's used to feed critters that humans eventually eat you can make the case for human consumption.
That's like the guy who claims he is strictly vegetarian...because he only eats animals (like beef) that eat grass.
Anyone who can get the Outdoor channel on TV can watch "FISH MONGER" this week and get some good visual info on the menhaden industry.  Shows how they net vast quantities and then turn them into a variety of products...including high grade omega 3 fish oil.