Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Newbie Tuber Windblown at Willard 8-30-23
BFT mod Jil wanted to have me along to help her catch fish from her new tube at Willard.  We got to the south marina about 6:30...hoping to launch about 7ish to forecast calm conditions.  NOT.  Strong wind blowing in from the lake...and continued to blow all morning. 
[Image: NEW-RIDE-2.jpg]

But...all was not lost.  We did launch about 8:15...planning to fish inside the channel until the wind died down (we hoped).  Got Jil all set up with some whirly fligs and some left handed blue eyed minnows.  And only a few minutes later heard her whoop on the walkie talkie.  She had already landed a nice crappie.  A good start.  Thought it might be the beginning of a great day.  NOT.  That was the first, last and only fish either of us caught.  First skunk for me this year.
[Image: FIRST-FISH.jpg]  [Image: FIRST-ONLY.jpg]

We were not alone...waiting out the wind in the marina.  Several boats and multiple float tubes, pontoons and kayaks were also fishing inside and it was impossible to get in much fishing.  And I saw no other fish caught by anybody else.  The lake was still bumpy and whitecapping when we left.
[Image: WAITIN.jpg]  [Image: BUMPY.jpg]

(08-30-2023, 08:25 PM)TubeDude Wrote: BFT mod Jil wanted to have me along to help her catch fish from her new tube at Willard.  We got to the south marina about 6:30...hoping to launch about 7ish to forecast calm conditions.  NOT.  Strong wind blowing in from the lake...and continued to blow all morning. 
[Image: NEW-RIDE-2.jpg]

But...all was not lost.  We did launch about 8:15...planning to fish inside the channel until the wind died down (we hoped).  Got Jil all set up with some whirly fligs and some left handed blue eyed minnows.  And only a few minutes later heard her whoop on the walkie talkie.  She had already landed a nice crappie.  A good start.  Thought it might be the beginning of a great day.  NOT.  That was the first, last and only fish either of us caught.  First skunk for me this year.
[Image: FIRST-FISH.jpg]  [Image: FIRST-ONLY.jpg]

We were not alone...waiting out the wind in the marina.  Several boats and multiple float tubes, pontoons and kayaks were also fishing inside and it was impossible to get in much fishing.  And I saw no other fish caught by anybody else.  The lake was still bumpy and whitecapping when we left.
[Image: WAITIN.jpg]  [Image: BUMPY.jpg]

Looks rough out there today I think I will stay home. Can I ask what size pvc you are using for your tube?

I was out there, but from the north marina. There were more yaks, toons, and tubes staying inside that one, too. Not many boats on the main lake. At one point, the thought crossed my mind that if I got tossed out of my boat, I might not be able to swim fast enough to catch up to it again. The rough water cost me a prized rod and reel - as described in my other post.

Pat, those salt-cured shad minnows work. Or seemed to. I got some bites on them without managing a hookup using a bottom bouncer. Frankly, feeling any kind of bite was tough in those waves.
(08-30-2023, 08:59 PM)oldguy Wrote: [quote pid="1148588" dateline="1693427133"]
Looks rough out there today I think I will stay home. Can I ask what size pvc you are using for your tube?

[/quote]
Yeah, with the iffy weather and the holiday coming up it might be best to stay away from the lake for a few days.  But lookin' better about midweek next week.

Jil's husband used several different kinds of PVC...of different sizes on her tube.   For rod holders I mostly use size 1" type 200 (thin wall) PVC.  Regular schedule 40 1" is too thick to hold the rod handles on most rods so you have to go to the heavier 1 1/4".  Are you planning something for a float tube or a boat.  Let me know if I can help.  I have several writeups on working with PVC.  Here's a closeup of some of the PVC pimping I have done on my Escape.
[Image: JIL-TUBE.jpg]  [Image: 17-PIMPED-ESCAPE.jpg]

(08-30-2023, 09:23 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I was out there, but from the north marina. There were more yaks, toons, and tubes staying inside that one, too. Not many boats on the main lake. At one point, the thought crossed my mind that if I got tossed out of my boat, I might not be able to swim fast enough to catch up to it again. The rough water cost me a prized rod and reel - as described in my other post.

Pat, those salt-cured shad minnows work. Or seemed to. I got some bites on them without managing a hookup using a bottom bouncer. Frankly, feeling any kind of bite was tough in those waves.
I read your post...and feel your pain.  Hope you are able to recover your old friend and fishing companion.  

It is wise to be cautious in windy weather and bumpy water...especially with a low gunnel bass boat.  Even if you are wearing a PFD, if you end up in the water it can be problematic to first catch up to your boat and second to get back in.  Been more than a few unlucky anglers who left this earth too soon for those reasons.

Glad you at least got some interest  on the salted shad.  But I'd be more impressed if you had some naked fish pictures to show for it.  Seriously, I have no doubt they will catch Willard fish...under better conditions.  But I doubt if they would outperform the frozen chubs, carp meat or perch meat some of us use.  They would have to definitely be better than the shad "preserved" in formaldehyde.
Thanks, Pat, for braving the windy day with me and at least I did manage to catch something this time around and which was my goal! Who'd guess it would be the only catch of the day. Too bad it was the place for everyone to hang out but everyone was polite and tolerant of each other so that was nice. The crappie was nearly 12in, so a nice one at that. 

Thanks too for assisting me with my 'drag' issue - but hey I learn something knew having had the issue.

Maybe the winds also kept the bugs away if we're looking for something positive to say about today - LOL

[Image: 20230830-Nice-catch-of-day-nearly-12in.jpg]
The advantage of salted bait - for me at least - is that it's shelf stable. No freezing needed, no waste if it doesn't get used today, and it makes the bait tough.

That was only the third time I've been out this year. My back is healing nicely, but those waves left me pretty stiff today. I'm planning to go out again soon.
(08-31-2023, 02:44 AM)jjannie Wrote: Thanks, Pat, for braving the windy day with me and at least I did manage to catch something this time around and which was my goal! Who'd guess it would be the only catch of the day. Too bad it was the place for everyone to hang out but everyone was polite and tolerant of each other so that was nice. The crappie was nearly 12in, so a nice one at that. 

Thanks too for assisting me with my 'drag' issue - but hey I learn something knew having had the issue.

Maybe the winds also kept the bugs away if we're looking for something positive to say about today - LOL

I think there was a lot "positive" about today.  I generally recommend that new float tubers spend some time just moving around and getting used to their new rides and learning how to control them.  You have had a couple of test dunks before but it is good to have someone more experienced along to help identify potential problems and make recommendations.  I seemed to notice you doing a much better job of moving around under better control as the morning "blew" on.  We will give your new landing net more practice next time.
(08-31-2023, 12:00 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(08-31-2023, 02:44 AM)jjannie Wrote: Thanks, Pat, for braving the windy day with me and at least I did manage to catch something this time around and which was my goal! Who'd guess it would be the only catch of the day. Too bad it was the place for everyone to hang out but everyone was polite and tolerant of each other so that was nice. The crappie was nearly 12in, so a nice one at that. 

I think there was a lot "positive" about today.  I generally recommend that new float tubers spend some time just moving around and getting used to their new rides and learning how to control them.  You have had a couple of test dunks before but it is good to have someone more experienced along to help identify potential problems and make recommendations.  I seemed to notice you doing a much better job of moving around under better control as the morning "blew" on.  We will give your new landing net more practice next time.

It's a date for sure! I did learn to better steer using my fins a little more. Thanks for the guidance, that 'backwards' steering is something I've never been good doing so all the practice I can get is worth it even when the fish (or winds) are not cooperating very well.
Way to go Jil, glad to hear you are getting out there and not only leaning about your new float tube but even catching a fish. I think the catching will improve in the coming weeks, so your next outing should be even better, catching wise.
(09-01-2023, 04:28 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Way to go Jil, glad to hear you are getting out there and not only leaning about your new float tube but even catching a fish. I think the catching will improve in the coming weeks, so your next outing should be even better, catching wise.

Thanks Curt, I'm learning so much, it's all new so it seems I'm learning something new every time I go out. There's always tweak here and there to improve the set-up arrangements but we're getting close that's for sure. Then, it will be nice to get out some more and more focus more on catching rather than the setup.