Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 8/29
Hit Rockport yesterday. Arrived at 6:45 and was the first launch of the day. Cool 48 degrees air temp. I was skeptical of even going because the weather reports the day before was forecasting south wind at 10 to 14 mph with higher gust. Even the National Weather Service was forecasting the same. There was a little chop at first and then it calmed down quite nice to almost glass. 

The bite was on. I set the trolling motor on 1 and just putted along use different jigs tipped with a worm. I'd get a hit about every 30 or 40 yards. Some of the jigs would get so beat up that I'd have to change to another jig. I fished the east side going south about 30 to 50 yards offshore. I'd fish about 1/4 south and then turn around and head back. There was a pontoon boat with 3 guys that anchored about 10 yards offshore by the first rock outcropping (going south) and they never moved the whole time I was there, and they were catching perch.  I would see perch blobs on the sonar all over the water.

I ended up with 4 good sized bass and a ton of perch. I think I'll go back up next week after the holiday crowd has gone home.
Pontoon was probably PikeMan beating up on those striped devils!
(08-31-2023, 02:04 AM)lovetofish Wrote: Hit Rockport yesterday. Arrived at 6:45 and was the first launch of the day. Cool 48 degrees air temp. I was skeptical of even going because the weather reports the day before was forecasting south wind at 10 to 14 mph with higher gust. Even the National Weather Service was forecasting the same. There was a little chop at first and then it calmed down quite nice to almost glass. 

The bite was on. I set the trolling motor on 1 and just putted along use different jigs tipped with a worm. I'd get a hit about every 30 or 40 yards. Some of the jigs would get so beat up that I'd have to change to another jig. I fished the east side going south about 30 to 50 yards offshore. I'd fish about 1/4 south and then turn around and head back. There was a pontoon boat with 3 guys that anchored about 10 yards offshore by the first rock outcropping (going south) and they never moved the whole time I was there, and they were catching perch.  I would see perch blobs on the sonar all over the water.

I ended up with 4 good sized bass and a ton of perch. I think I'll go back up next week after the holiday crowd has gone home.

Were you targeting bass or perch? Any size to either the bass or perch? Thanks for the report.
Last November the Perch fishing in RP was awesome, with lots of heavy 11 and pushing 12”’ers.
Every tenth fish or so was a rod bending Smallie on the other end.
I hope it is as good this fall and it sounds like it is headed that way!
(08-31-2023, 01:56 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-31-2023, 02:04 AM)lovetofish Wrote: Hit Rockport yesterday. Arrived at 6:45 and was the first launch of the day. Cool 48 degrees air temp. I was skeptical of even going because the weather reports the day before was forecasting south wind at 10 to 14 mph with higher gust. Even the National Weather Service was forecasting the same. There was a little chop at first and then it calmed down quite nice to almost glass. 

Were you targeting bass or perch? Any size to either the bass or perch? Thanks for the report.

I was targeting perch the bass were just a bonus. The perch were about 9 inches and the bass
about 12.
The bass fishing has been great also. That is my report with no video Wink
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew