Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike - Muskie advice
Lil_Riggs has just informed me that he has added a new species to his bucket list!  Muskie what and where are the best ways to find and help him get a check off his bucket list?  UL is where I would like to go.  However, I know nothing about Muskie or Muskie fishing.  Any help would be greatful
(09-05-2023, 06:51 PM)big_griggs Wrote: Lil_Riggs has just informed me that he has added a new species to his bucket list!  Muskie what and where are the best ways to find and help him get a check off his bucket list?  UL is where I would like to go.  However, I know nothing about Muskie or Muskie fishing.  Any help would be greatful
Pineview would be your best bet. Utah lake only has northern pike. Troll big lures close to shore. You can spend a lot of time fishing for them with little action but without a doubt Pineview would give you your best shot at getting one. Newton also has them, as does other lakes but I think their numbers are lower at those other lakes.
I have been told Schofield has good numbers of muskie and the bite was hot earlier this year might be worth checking out .
Fun fact...there are muskies in the Uintas. Not kidding. Here is the link

https://www.ksl.com/article/46622774/her...ated-lakes

Also Joe's Valley use to have a good fishable population but I have not heard much about it lately. I expect both it and Newton suffered badly from the drought.

Here is a link the the 5 most popular location to chase one

https://www.ksl.com/article/46563637/the...ger-muskie
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-05-2023, 08:36 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-05-2023, 06:51 PM)big_griggs Wrote: Lil_Riggs has just informed me that he has added a new species to his bucket list!  Muskie what and where are the best ways to find and help him get a check off his bucket list?  UL is where I would like to go.  However, I know nothing about Muskie or Muskie fishing.  Any help would be greatful
Pineview would be your best bet. Utah lake only has northern pike. Troll big lures close to shore. You can spend a lot of time fishing for them with little action but without a doubt Pineview would give you your best shot at getting one. Newton also has them, as does other lakes but I think their numbers are lower at those other lakes.

Sorry, it was Pike he wanted.  Damn, my brain is not functioning with another wedding coming down the line I think I would probably forget my head if it wasn't attached!!  (2 daughters married in less than a year).
Recapture Reservoir down south is probably the best bet for northern pike in Utah these days. DWR LINK

Don't overlook Utah Lake.  It might be a shorter drive but will probably take more effort.  However, in this year of higher water levels there is more potantial habitat for them.  Try working large plastics or cranks along the docks and rocks inside harbors...just as you would for bass.  Also, wherever you can find reeds in at least 2-3 feet of water you can run and gun along them...casting those same lures ahead. 

There have been pike reported this year from most of the harbors and outside in some spots around Provo Harbor,  American Fork, Lindon and Provo Harbors.  Also, up in the Provo River.

Good luck.
(09-06-2023, 03:19 PM)big_griggs Wrote: Sorry, it was Pike he wanted.  Damn, my brain is not functioning with another wedding coming down the line I think I would probably forget my head if it wasn't attached!!  (2 daughters married in less than a year).

OK, that makes a big difference, as Pat said, Recapture Reservoir is your best place in Utah to catch a pike in my opinion and since it's a shallow lake fishing from shore with bait or lures is your best bet there. Don't overlook Yuba either, there are still decent numbers there.  Good luck, no matter where you end up going.

I think you have the right idea with Utah lake.  There have been more than I expected caught around the harbors from shore and those targeting them with boats are getting it figured out.

Pike are ambush predators.  They lay still, near cover and wait for the unsuspecting bluegill, small carp or baby white bass to swim by then burst forward and with their wide mouth engulf their pray.  They are excitable.  I like jerk baits, but UL has a lot of weeds so big rubber swim baits are a better choice. Big spinner baits and big spinners work as well. It's a lot of casting with big lures for Jr but they don't allow live bait so lures, cut bait and dead bait is all we can use.  They will hit dead frozen minnows, but you have to rig them to look natural.  Salted fresh is best. Hook through the back so they look balanced and under a bobber. Cast them to likely spots and slowly retrieve.
South of the harbor is a big line of rush islands all the way to Provo bay. Should take more than a couple of hours to cover.
Quick strike rigs work well. And remember they can be caught through the ice, too. Good luck.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.