Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Creek
Been on a bait hunt trying to fill the frezzer back up. Perfect evening last week at LC. Cool' calm. Chuckers talking. Deer feeding. Elk bugling ( maybe a bow hunter?). Trout rising all-over. But we were needing bait for the bucket so we stayed focused on that and left the trout and other critters alone.

Caught a lot of BIG chubs near the ramp on our floating jigs tipped with a worm. They were in cast range from the shore. No little ones in that area. We did find smaller ones near the dam.

Great time to go get your bait supply, while they are close 

Fun quick video

https://youtu.be/yhsSHnXqpsM?si=aMzVsM6GQ5aOBY30
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Sounds like a very successful evening. Looks like you two have that chub catching down and even though you did not catch any that day, trout can be caught using the same method., in the same location. Always cool getting up there and seeing or hearing all the animals around there.
Looks like fun.  Been thinking about running up there for chubs.

How do you process them for later use?
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
(09-12-2023, 01:55 PM)BRL1 Wrote: Looks like fun.  Been thinking about running up there for chubs.

Not trying to speak for Cowboy but we just vacuum pack them whole, putting one or two in a package at a time, depending on the size of the chub.
(09-12-2023, 01:55 PM)BRL1 Wrote: Looks like fun.  Been thinking about running up there for chubs.

For those who do not have the option to vacuum pack minnows, freezing them in water...with no air bubbles...is a good second option.  I use inexpensive fold top sandwich bags to hold as many minnows as I want to freeze per package.  For larger minnows 2 to 4 is usually enough for a trip.  Just put the minnows in the bag, add cold water and then squeeze out all the extra water (and air bubbles) and twist the bag shut...using a rubber band to hold it in place until frozen.  Whenever I run out of fresher frozen minnows I can resurrect some as old as 2 years old and they are still almost as good as fresh.
[Image: LARGE.jpg]

(09-12-2023, 04:25 PM)TubeDude Wrote: For those who do not have the option to vacuum pack minnows, freezing them in water...with no air bubbles...is a good second option.  I use inexpensive fold top sandwich bags to hold as many minnows as I want to freeze per package.  For larger minnows 2 to 4 is usually enough for a trip.  Just put the minnows in the bag, add cold water and then squeeze out all the extra water (and air bubbles) and twist the bag shut...using a rubber band to hold it in place until frozen.  Whenever I run out of fresher frozen minnows I can resurrect some as old as 2 years old and they are still almost as good as fresh.
Do you have a problem with them getting mushy? Mushy minnows that fly off the hook have made me wary of using them.

We use Tubedudes method. He taught us that a few years back and it has worked well for us

(09-12-2023, 01:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like a very successful evening. Looks like you two have that chub catching down and even though you did not catch any that day, trout can be caught using the same method., in the same location. Always cool getting up there and seeing or hearing all the animals around there.

We were not trying but you are right we usually pick up a few trout that way. In fact Cookies big bow this spring was off our chub rig. Seemed all the trout in that area were chasing  a caddis or a small midge emerger on top. You would think I would have grabbed the fly rod and got after it but that seemed like a lot work vs sitting on the rock and letting cookie catch bait while tried to talk to the chukkers.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew