Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great day for cats at Willard
Ira and I got up to Willard yesterday, arriving around 7 am. Water temp was 71 at launch, getting up to 74 by the time we decided to leave around 1:30 pm. We headed over to Freeway bay to start the day and ended up staying there the entire time. We pulled fligs the whole time pulling in one cat after another, even a few perch. Biggest cat  was 26", biggest perch was 12". Final total for the day was 26 cats and three perch, all but two cats were over 21".

[Image: bigperchoftheday.jpg]

[Image: red-dot-cat.jpg]
check out the red dots below this cats eye, has anyone ever seen this before?

[Image: big-cat-of-the-day.jpg]

[Image: water-level-drop.jpg]

For it being Sept the water level is a full as I have ever seen it, this late in the Summer.
(09-12-2023, 02:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: check out the red dots below this cats eye, has anyone ever seen this before?

[Image: SPOTED-CAT.jpg]
A "fliggin' good" report.  It would seem the cooling water and shortening days are stimulating the fish to get more active before winter.  Looks like I will be pointing my float tube toward Willard more often again.  Hope all the species follow suit.

About those spots.  I suppose it is only natural...catfish "beauty spots"...a makeup option no doubt originated after so many cats have shown their love for fligs painted with the red spots...in either white or chartreuse.
[Image: PEPPERMINT-KITTY.jpg]  [Image: 3-SPOT.jpg]

Actually, I use that deadly spotted pattern on quite a few different colors...lime green, gold, silver, etc.  And a lot of other species vote for it as well.
I've not seen those spots like that before either and maybe TD is right about that pattern he has there. The cooler water temps must have turned on the bite. 

Sounds like you two had a really fun day.
Just a freckle faced red head!
Possibly where leaches were attached? Crazy to be in a nice line like that, though. Were those spots present on both sides?
Got chubs now it cat time. Need a fish fry and your report is sufficient motivation
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-12-2023, 04:13 PM)TubeDude Wrote: About those spots.  I suppose it is only natural...catfish "beauty spots"...a makeup option no doubt originated after so many cats have shown their love for fligs painted with the red spots...
LOL, that would really be funny.
(09-12-2023, 05:33 PM)jjannie Wrote: I've not seen those spots like that before either and maybe TD is right about that pattern he has there. The cooler water temps must have turned on the bite. 

Sounds like you two had a really fun day.

All the cats we caught that day were fighting hard, a lot of the bigger ones were pulling drag as they dived toward the bottom.
(09-12-2023, 05:57 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: Just a freckle faced red head!

LOL, maybe that's it.
(09-12-2023, 08:46 PM)joshomaru Wrote: Possibly where leaches were attached?  Crazy to be in a nice line like that, though.  Were those spots present on both sides?

You never know but I have never seen leaches on the side of any cat, along the bottom of them but not on the sides, especially around the face. Sorry I didn't really look on both sides of the fish, just took that pic and released it.
(09-12-2023, 11:04 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Got chubs now it cat time. Need a fish fry and your report is sufficient motivation

Go get them Lance, they sure were on fire that day.
I was on Willard yesterday also. Launched from South marina at 750 a.m. Water and air temps were as Curt reported. Motored out into my favorite area off of the feed lot.  Had pretty stiff breeze for first hour or so out of the North-East. Then shifted around a bit and calmed down. Allowed me to drift from north-east ish to south west ish at about .35 to .50 mph. Would start out in area over 18-19 fow and drift back to about 12 fow, then motor back out. 
Had lots of tugs, and several hard drag screaming hit and drops.  Boated 5 Cats all with good solid lip hooks. Released all.   Last Cat on last shrimp was biggest of the day.  Had to lay it down on deck to take photo, wouldn't stay still long enough to photo hanging from lip gripper.  Shy   Departed WB about 1200.  

[Image: 071-12-Sep-2023.jpg]      
[Image: 076-12-Sep-2023-Cat-5-CPR.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(09-13-2023, 02:45 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: I was on Willard yesterday also. Launched from South marina at 750 a.m. Water and air temps were as Curt reported. Motored out into my favorite area off of the feed lot.  Had pretty stiff breeze for first hour or so out of the North-East. Then shifted around a bit and calmed down. Allowed me to drift from north-east ish to south west ish at about .35 to .50 mph. Would start out in area over 18-19 fow and drift back to about 12 fow, then motor back out. 
Had lots of tugs, and several hard drag screaming hit and drops.  Boated 5 Cats all with good solid lip hooks. Released all.   Last Cat on last shrimp was biggest of the day.  Had to lay it down on deck to take photo, wouldn't stay still long enough to photo hanging from lip gripper.  Shy   Departed WB about 1200.  

Thanks for the report Forest. Would you say you caught most your fish in the deeper water?
(09-15-2023, 02:51 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 02:45 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: I was on Willard yesterday also. Launched from South marina at 750 a.m. Water and air temps were as Curt reported. Motored out into my favorite area off of the feed lot.  Had pretty stiff breeze for first hour or so out of the North-East. Then shifted around a bit and calmed down. Allowed me to drift from north-east ish to south west ish at about .35 to .50 mph. Would start out in area over 18-19 fow and drift back to about 12 fow, then motor back out. 

Thanks for the report Forest. Would you say you caught most your fish in the deeper water?

I would say that most of my hook ups where in  13 to 15 fow.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(09-12-2023, 02:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira and I got up to Willard yesterday, arriving around 7 am. Water temp was 71 at launch, getting up to 74 by the time we decided to leave around 1:30 pm. We headed over to Freeway bay to start the day and ended up staying there the entire time. We pulled fligs the whole time pulling in one cat after another, even a few perch. Biggest cat  was 26", biggest perch was 12". Final total for the day was 26 cats and three perch, all but two cats were over 21".

[Image: bigperchoftheday.jpg]

[Image: red-dot-cat.jpg]
check out the red dots below this cats eye, has anyone ever seen this before?

[Image: big-cat-of-the-day.jpg]

[Image: water-level-drop.jpg]

For it being Sept the water level is a full as I have ever seen it, this late in the Summer.
I had similar success to you guys on Friday 9/15, I launched as Tubedude was pulling away from the ramp at the south marina and fished with in site of him all morning. I dropped my lines just outside the buoys and worked my way past the feed lot and back landing 23 cats including several doubles, the largest 26" smallest 18" most where 20-24". got them on several different flig colors, pink, fire tiger and orange, with and without whirleys tipped with chub from Lost Creek. My most productive depth was in the 17'-19' range with a few caught shallower into 14'. I will likely spend most Fridays at Willard this fall chasing cats as they seem to be willing to play particularly well this time of year. If anyone is interested in joining me send me a PM and we will make it happen.
(09-16-2023, 06:08 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I had similar success to you guys on Friday 9/15, I launched as Tubedude was pulling away from the ramp at the south marina and fished with in site of him all morning. I dropped my lines just outside the buoys and worked my way past the feed lot and back landing 23 cats including several doubles, the largest 26" smallest 18" most where 20-24". got them on several different flig colors, pink, fire tiger and orange, with and without whirleys tipped with chub from Lost Creek. My most productive depth was in the 17'-19' range with a few caught shallower into 14'. I will likely spend most Fridays at Willard this fall chasing cats as they seem to be willing to play particularly well this time of year. If anyone is interested in joining me send me a PM and we will make it happen.

Good to see you again.  Enjoyed your report on the red drum.

Glad you got plenty of tugs.  Catfish just don't get the attention or respect they deserve.  They hit hard, fight well this time of year and are great eating...especially those from Willard.  And when the "other guys" are stuffed with shad and being snobbish...well, cats will almost always still wanna play.  Love 'em.