Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some more AIS info
I’ve been researching further requirements for our recently updated AIS Program in Utah.  The original change to a decal system requested that the decals could be obtained from two sources; the On-Line course web sight and the DMV.  The DMV declined to participate.  So, the only place to get the decal is online at this link: STD of Utah for Residents.  You can get them at any DWR office.  They must be purchased online.  I’m not sure how they work around the few folks in the state that don’t own a computer or smart phone – yes, there are a few of those still around.

I also explored the requirement to display the Decontamination Certificate form on the tow vehicle’s dashboard.  I emailed the AIS Field Information office and got back the following:

“Display of Education Course. That is required because we are not able to verify if a watercraft is certified while it is on the water. We do not have the ability to monitor watercraft on the water, while our staff is in the parking lot. That is one way we can verify compliance with vehicles in the parking lots is the Certification Form on the dashboard. We have begun initial discussions about a second decal that could be placed on the Tongue of the trailer. This would allow for the boater and the AIS Staff to verify certification status without the form on the dashboard. I am not sure how this will go either.”

So, for the time being, we are stuck with placing documentation on the dashboard.  But which document?  Well, you have a choice.  You can display either the Decontamination Certificate or the receipt certificate from your purchase of the decal.  You do NOT have to display both.

I also voiced my opinion that ALL water vessels (registered or not) should be required to purchase & display the decal on the vessel.  The field agent I spoke with agreed 100% and the AIS division of the DWR is working toward that end.  And we might get lucky with attaching a second AIS decal to the trailer as well to eliminate the need for documentation on the dashboard.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
The more they change the can, the more worms.
Dubob, I am not to keen on every vessel having to have a sticker unless the owner of the vessels can get multiple stickers for the same course and fee.
Someone like me, that has a power boat, a sit on kayak, a sit in kayak and a toon could be out a wad of money for no real reason. It's not the vessel that contaminates anymore than it is the gun that shoots. It is the responsibility of the owner in either case and if the owner of multiple vessels has completed the course and paid for the sticker to prove it, then any and all vessels owned by that certified AIS participant should be covered.
As far as enforcement, not my problem, compliance is my problem and if they have no way of knowing if a vessel is certified, what is the AIS sticker for? I thought it was so they could sit in our truck that we bought for them and look through the very expensive and super high quality binoculars we bought for them to see if the sticker is present.
Now as for the sticker itself. When I did not receive my sticker in the mail as promised I went to North Temple to get one and was told that they did not have them and wouldn't be getting them and that my receipt is all I need. Well, what I don't need is some fish cop harassing me while I am fishing because other fish cops can't get their job done by wanting me to stop what I am legally doing to show them a piece of paper because they couldn't manage to do their one job, which was to get stickers to those who were certified. A piece of paper I am not legally required to have on my boat because they were supposed to get me a sticker.
Those are excellent points. Having a sticker doesn't mean the vessel is clean, it just means you took the course and paid the fee. And if it is actually you that's being certified, it ought to apply to all your vessels. Your driver's license isn't good for just one vehicle, and your CCW isn't good for only one gun.
(09-17-2023, 01:54 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Dubob, I am not to keen on every vessel having to have a sticker unless the owner of the vessels can get multiple stickers for the same course and fee. 
Someone like me, that has a power boat, a sit on kayak, a sit in kayak and a toon could be out a wad of money for no real reason.  It's not the vessel that contaminates anymore than it is the gun that shoots.  It is the responsibility of the owner in either case and if the owner of multiple vessels has completed the course and paid for the sticker to prove it, then any and all vessels owned by that certified AIS participant should be covered.
As far as enforcement, not my problem, compliance is my problem and if they have no way of knowing if a vessel is certified, what is the AIS sticker for?  I thought it was so they could sit in our truck that we bought for them and look through the very expensive and super high quality binoculars we bought for them to see if the sticker is present.
Now as for the sticker itself.  When I did not receive my sticker in the mail as promised I went to North Temple to get one and was told that they did not have them and wouldn't be getting them and that my receipt is all I need.  Well, what I don't need is some fish cop harassing me while I am fishing because other fish cops can't get their job done by wanting me to stop what I am legally doing to show them a piece of paper because they couldn't manage to do their one job, which was to get stickers to those who were certified. A piece of paper I am not legally required to have on my boat because they were supposed to get me a sticker.
Big Grin

I'm smiling because I can appreciate your frustration with the way our government officials dictate our lives.  And while I respect your views on this subject, we disagree on a couple of them.  And venting to me is probably good therapy for you but will do nothing to change the system.  If you have contacted your state legislators and asked them to consider your views, kudos.  If not, I would encourage you to do so and get as many of your fellow sportsmen to do the same.  Nothing will change unless your elected officials know about your views and actually agree with them.  I've been doing my part in that regard and have met with some very limited success.

(09-17-2023, 04:19 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Those are excellent points. Having a sticker doesn't mean the vessel is clean, it just means you took the course and paid the fee. And if it is actually you that's being certified, it ought to apply to all your vessels. Your driver's license isn't good for just one vehicle, and your CCW isn't good for only one gun.
But ALL of your recreational registered equipment as well as all your cars/trucks are registered separately.  So, thinking that one AIS sticker will cover all water vessels doesn't fit the mold of getting ALL the money the state can through taxing and applying fees.   Wink Wink Wink
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
dubobBut ALL of your recreational registered equipment as well as all your cars/trucks are registered separately.  So, thinking that one AIS sticker will cover all water vessels doesn't fit the mold of getting ALL the money the state can through taxing and applying fees.   Wink Wink Wink

Exactly, to be consistent, and as I understand it, AIS certificate is required for registered equipment.

Also, to be consistent maybe registration and AIS should be based on some evaluation of AIS risk. That is, 100k+ wakeboard boat paying same as my little fishing boat or inflatable kayak given recently seeing one wakeboard one dump megagallons of ballast before launch (from who knows where) at a local reservoir.  Let's be real here.

BTW, how come all these AIS things seem to be a non-regulatory issue i the upper Mn, Wis, etc with there so many lakes and the great lakes etc?