Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
E Canyon 9-11-2023
Left the yard at 0500 for a day to relax. I caught a striper about 5mi away from the lake, batting a 1000 to start the day. Nothing like getting skunked before hitting the water and having my boat baited with scent. After launching (first on the water), I noticed on the finder the fish were stacked in the beach & launch area. As I was trolling out thru the main channel I wasn't marking much on the sonar. After an hour of nothing hitting, then all of a sudden, I started to pick up fish on the screen. Back during the early fishing season this year, I decided to work with my 3D imaging which is for chartplotting. However, chartplotting is not how I set this up.

[Image: Raymarine-6.jpg]

This graph is used in chartplotting. I set this
up according to my fish zone I'm trolling in with kokanee
in mind. A picture of the boat is top center going in 
direction of troll. The graph is set at 60' to each side of 
boat, the depth is at 60'. Sonar is set at 350Khz for fish, 
chartplotting is 1.2Mhz which is used for bottom 
imaging to 100'-not used here. The vertical green bars on 
each side have different shades, when fish signals are 
picked up they show up in different green shades according to depth. 

[Image: Raymarine-5-Normal.jpg]
This is what the fish targets look like, I can change

the target size too. The color background and the
green bars can also be changed which changes fish
targets.

[Image: Raymarine-1-Side-View.jpg]
Able to change the view on screen 
looking
from one side or the other

[Image: Raymarine-2-forward-view.jpg]
Reverse direction looking behind. The boat 

at top center also indicates which direction on these 
different views. 

[Image: Raymarine-3-downview.jpg]
Looking down, while most of us are use 
to using
arches or fish icons, I'm liking this setup.

While trolling, I switched from this graph to normal sonar for fish arches finding the fish were all over to verify these graph targets were actual at least to me. There is a couple guys we all know that have the Hummingbird Live scope which is great to have but this is something that can be effective too in its own way.

Ended up with one bow in the boat & had a drive by.

[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
That's an interesting setup Roger, is Ray marine the only fish finder that can be set up that way? Too bad the catching was so slow. What is this striper you are talking about batting before you got on the water and you boat baited with scent?
(09-14-2023, 12:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That's an interesting setup Roger, is Ray marine the only fish finder that can be set up that way? Too bad the catching was so slow. What is this striper you are talking about batting before you got on the water and you boat baited with scent?

Curt, I don't know what is on the other fishfinders other than down & side imaging, also chart plotting. The Raymarine Element HV comes in 3 sizes, 7", 9", 12". The first 2 are comparable in affordable pricing, my HV 9 was under $1000. Its a descent size viewing screen, the 12" is around $2500. AFDan has the same HV 9 as I do. He was impressed with what I came up with in its use. It would be interesting if others who have chart plotters with 3D imaging to chime in.

BTW, the striper mentioned was a skunk aka polecat I came across in the middle of the road. The odor on my truck is dissipating sitting in the driveway. I had a faint odor on my boat & trailer that got washed away mostly when in the lake.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Us Henefer people appreciate your willingness to the out those pole cats with your truck
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew