Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on fish finders
I want to replace my front graph on my boat there are so many options is there any where you guys know of that has a knowledgeable salesman or maybe some of you know. I can't afford forward facing but I'd like to get something for down images. Thanks in advance
Are you using a transducer that is part of your trolling motor ?? If you have a Minn Kota with a transducer built in, then Humminbird is the way to go to get all the built ins that the motor/graph can offer. I would go with the Helix models, which ever one you can afford. I just put a Helix 8 on my Pontoon that uses the integral Down Imaging transducer on my Ultera. Check Amazon for the Humminbird store for best deals. If you don't have a built in transducer or want a different brand of unit, Garmin has some of the best units on the market these days. In my opnion, Lowrance comes in a distant 3rd in this. Their quality lately and customer service has been really poor. Regardless of what unit you get, they all pretty much have built in GPS, CHIRP ( clears up the image), and with the bigger units ( 8" or larger) you can add on the scanning capability later if wanted. If you decide you want both Down Imaging (DI) and Side Imaging (SI), be sure to get a model that has those capabilities ( they require a special transducer to get both) Also, if you have an integral transducer on you trolling motor, you can order Humminbird units w/o the transducer and save some bucks. Look for models that are CHO ( control head only). Shoot me a PM if you have any questions !!
I have had a lot of fish finders over the years, and keep coming back to Garmin. Not to start a war, but I have been extremely unimpressed with the Humminbird line. Their one strength is the side imaging, but when trolling in 100+ feet of water, I find very little value.

I am in the process of outfitting my new 26' Duckworth, I elected to go with two 12" Garmin Echomap Ultra's in the front, and a 9" Echomap in the back of the boat, all networked together on a GT56UHD transducer.

If you are trying to save money, the 7" or 9" Echomap series with the GT54UHD transducer (slightly older model, side and down imaging frequencies aren't as good) can be had for really cheap. But the 9" Echomap can be had with the latest GT56UHD transducer for $699 currently.
BYU Hunter has a point, BUT, if you have a Minn Kota trolling motor, Humminbird pairs better w/the troller than the Garmin! Now, you can spend another 3-5 grand to get the Garmin trolling motor that pairs w/the electronics!! It also sounds like you do not use an electric on the front of your boat, so pairing w/the troller is a moot point for you!!
This is what I'm currently running
[Image: IMG-20230914-142655.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20230914-142655.jpg]
I'm like the hummingbird helix 7 I'm also thinking about waiting for black Friday to pull the trigger

[Image: IMG-20230914-142659.jpg]
My motor does not have the built-in transducer
[Image: IMG-3203.jpg]

Try this guy, very knowledgeable
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(09-14-2023, 10:28 PM)Therapist Wrote: BYU Hunter has a point, BUT, if you have a Minn Kota trolling motor, Humminbird pairs better w/the troller than the Garmin!  Now, you can spend another 3-5 grand to get the Garmin trolling motor that pairs w/the electronics!!  It also sounds like you do not use an electric on the front of your boat, so pairing w/the troller is a moot point for you!!

Unless he has a MinnKota with Ipilot LINK or mega imaging there isn’t anything he would gain by going with a humminbird vs anything else. If he has co pilot or Ipilot with US2 built in, which is by far the most common set up, all that is required is an adapter cable to be able to use the built in transducer with a Garmin or Lowrance. 

If it was me I’d try to find a Garmin 93sv with the GT54 transducer on sale at cabelas or bass pro. They go on sale often. This would allow you to use forward facing sonar in the future.
(09-14-2023, 10:28 PM)Therapist Wrote: BYU Hunter has a point, BUT, if you have a Minn Kota trolling motor, Humminbird pairs better w/the troller than the Garmin!  Now, you can spend another 3-5 grand to get the Garmin trolling motor that pairs w/the electronics!!  It also sounds like you do not use an electric on the front of your boat, so pairing w/the troller is a moot point for you!!

Unless he has a MinnKota with Ipilot LINK or mega imaging there isn’t anything he would gain by going with a humminbird vs anything else. If he has co pilot or Ipilot with US2 built in, which is by far the most common set up, all that is required is an adapter cable to be able to use the built in transducer with a Garmin or Lowrance. 

If it was me I’d try to find a Garmin 93sv with the GT54 transducer on sale at cabelas or bass pro. They go on sale often. This would allow you to use forward facing sonar in the future.
If you settle in on the Hummingbird, I would highly recommend a network unit. It’s $100 more, but if there is ever a chance of adding another unit you’ll be glad you did. Networking units have a “N” in the gen label ex. G4N. Both units can run off the same transducer. It’s an easy way to add a bunch of screen. I’d look hard at the mega units too.
Learned something from MACMAN! My new Helix 8 is a G4N unit. I did not know that the N ment it could network with other units. I plan on putting a Helix w/ both DI and SI on the console in the future, so that will be nice to be able to network them together.

I believe everyone has made my point. Unless you are using the integral transducer on the trolling motor, you can pretty much go with what ever unit you want. As I also stated, Garmin has some of the best units on the market now. TD has not chimed in on this discussion, but he has been running a Garmin on his tube for several years now, so that is a BIG endorsement for Garmin. I run Humminbird because I have MEGA DI capability with my Ultera ( also have I pilot link ).

Also, check Smith & Edwards about Garmin Units. Don't know which units they stock, but I know they sell Garmin !!
I appreciate all the feedback back on this subject. I'll let you all know what I decide thanks again
I was a bird guy for years but switched over to garmin about 3 years ago. Absolutely love my Echomaps. I have 12's 9's and 7's all are great but i do highly recommend getting the GT56 transducer. It has much clearer imaging when using sidevu and downvu.
(09-15-2023, 09:01 AM)Therapist Wrote: Learned something from MACMAN!  My new Helix 8 is a G4N unit.  I did not know that the N ment it could network with other units.  I plan on putting a Helix w/ both DI and SI on the console in the future, so that will be nice to be able to network them together.

I believe everyone has made my point.  Unless you are using the integral transducer on the trolling motor,  you can pretty much go with what ever unit you want.  As I also stated,  Garmin has some of the best units on the market now.  TD has not chimed in on this discussion, but he has been running a Garmin on his tube for several years now, so that is a BIG endorsement for  Garmin.  I run Humminbird because I have MEGA DI capability with my Ultera ( also have I pilot link ). 

Also, check Smith & Edwards about Garmin Units.  Don't know which units they stock,  but I know they sell Garmin !!
Glad I could help. I’ll try to help save you a little more coin. If you add another screen, if it is network capable you don’t need a mega DI and mega SI control head if you slave it off the main unit. It will still read mega through the primary unit. A gps 7” helix CHO is around $600. A 7” helix with mega SI and DI with transducer is around $1,200. Same capabilities for the cost of a CHO and Ethernet cord- I think you’ll need a dongle as well.
I know there has been a lot of Humminbird haters on the post, don't be afraid of the bird, they are great units.. To me I know the live scope is the top of that field, but I really don't like the Garmin finders for other fishing displays and it's probably just what you learned to use by reading the manuals and all, but I'm sticking up for the bird.... They have their specific strengths, to me the 360 tech is amazing and nobody else has something like that, but that tech doesn't work everywhere either, it's the only way to go on shallow water though.. Anyway not wanting to start the battle, but just wanting to let ya know that Humminbird units are great finders as well. It sounded like you were going that direction so I wanted to let you know there are others that really like those units even if most of the posters seemed to be Garmin guys... I think whatever you get, read the manuals so you know how to operate it and you'll love it... Good luck... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(09-18-2023, 12:57 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I know there has been a lot of Humminbird haters on the post, don't be afraid of the bird, they are great units.. To me I know the live scope is the top of that field, but I really don't like the Garmin finders for other fishing displays and it's probably just what you learned to use by reading the manuals and all, but I'm sticking up for the bird.... They have their specific strengths, to me the 360 tech is amazing and nobody else has something like that, but that tech doesn't work everywhere either, it's the only way to go on shallow water though..  Anyway not wanting to start the battle, but just wanting to let ya know that Humminbird units are great finders as well.  It sounded like you were going that direction so I wanted to let you know there are others that really like those units even if most of the posters seemed to be Garmin guys...  I think whatever you get, read the manuals so you know how to operate it and you'll love it... Good luck... J

I agree with you on the bird being great finders Jeff. I just wish I could afford one of their 12" displays, instead of the 8 and 9" models I have now. Maybe I'll get lucky one day and find one for a good price or someone will upgrade their old one and offer their old one to me at a discounted price Big Grin. IMO finders are just like cars and trucks, they all make good models but there are strong preferences for one or the other.
I agree with you Curt, those big screens would be really nice, especially when using side imaging and the 360... Can't remember who's boat I was looking at that had the 15" screens and I was having a little finder envy... But I like my 9 a lot better than my old 5 and 7" monitors, so I'll be happy with what I have for now... Besides I couldn't carry a big one on the ice anyway.... well at least not as easily... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
As much as I like the idea of having and envy a 12" screen, from the safety aspect finding that even with the 9" can be very distracting. Finders come with all the bells and whistles including touch screens with them mounted in front of operators view keeping their attention from what's out in front, which can fall under texting while driving law. On 2 separate occasions this year just while I was trolling there was other boaters that came right up next to me with one apologizing for the close encounter. I'm not perfect catching myself from getting close to others also. Just think what it could be at traveling at a high rate of speed. I always see operators focused on the screens, thankfully we mostly have the buddy system working.
BTW, my 75" big screen is great for football.   
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF