Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Lost creek/ general questions
Hello all! This is my first post but I wanted to share my first success fishing in Utah since moving here. My brother-in-law and I went to Lost Creek Reservoir this morning to try and catch some fish. We got up there at about 7:30 a.m. to find that we forgot to bring cash to pay the day-use fee and there wasn't any service to do it online. After a detour back down the hill to get cell service and our day-use pass, we finally started fishing. We went out on the shore to the east of the first boat ramp. Unfortunately, we were catching more weeds than fish. my brother caught one cutthroat that was about 12 inches. He caught this on neon orange power balls. we didn't have any more luck until we moved farther east along the inlet. We also switched over to yellow power balls upon the request of a family member we met up with there. This is when we really started doing well. In the next 2 hours or so we caught 6 rainbow trout which averaged 15 inches, and 6 more cutthroat trout which averaged 12 inches. We didn't have a cooler so just did catch and release. We left at around 1 p.m. after the bite finally died off. Overall it was a really fun day, and beautiful out there. I am amazed at the different kind of beauty found in Utah. I grew up in western Oregon where I fished in the Cascades and Yaquina Bay on the coast. 
I am looking to find different places and types of fishing. My experience is jigging for sea bass, trolling for Kokanee, and still fishing for stocker rainbows. I am new to Utah and I really don't know where to start. I live in Davis County and am wondering where is good for shore fishing since my boat is still in Oregon. What lakes are good for fishing historically in the fall? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

Seems to me I should be asking YOU where to fish Smile
(09-16-2023, 03:15 AM)JazzyM Wrote: Seems to me I should be asking YOU where to fish Smile

Lol, I was honestly following instructions from my wife's grandfather we met there. I wouldn't have known the first thing of what color of bait or anything to use without him.
Shore fishing is good almost everywhere in Oct. and November
Welcome to the site, Lost creek(LC) is a nice peaceful place to fish. FYI, we are not allowed to use the method you used for adding pics to your post, it is only for adding PDF. Here is a link to a step by step procedure for adding pics: https://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/show...id=1101135

There are a few locations you can fish, that are out of the way, like LC, you could try Causey or Porcupine and there are many many more, depending on how far you want to drive. Lots of good info posted on BFT about other locations.
(09-16-2023, 04:36 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Welcome to the site, Lost creek(LC) is a nice peaceful place to fish. FYI, we are not allowed to use the method you used for adding pics to your post, it is only for adding PDF. Here is a link to a step by step procedure for adding pics: https://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/show...id=1101135

There are a few locations you can fish, that are out of the way, like LC, you could try Causey or Porcupine and there are many many more, depending on how far you want to drive. Lots of good info posted on BFT about other locations.

So sorry, I didn't realize I couldn't post photos like that. I will do my best to follow the forum's guidelines going forward. 

Thank you for the info, after having some success yesterday I am already trying to plan where to go next Saturday. I hadn't been fishing for a year or so because of college, work, and being newly married. It wasn't until I went back to Oregon and went fishing with my dad that I got the fishing bug again. Now I am starting out on my own with a budget of basically $0 and it is fun to try and balance that. My dad once told me things can be done fast, cheap, or quality but you can only choose two. I am doing things cheap but I guess I need to have patience so I can have quality.
Glad to have you as part of our group. Lots of good people in this group that will help you.

Utah has a lot of diversity in fishing options for one of the driest states in the USA. Enjoy exploring them

Just a side note incase you were not aware. Lost Creek has a slot limit on size you can keep so be careful to measure if you want them for the grill.

And I did not answer your question but I can tell you fall is amazing for shore fishing and the summer crowds mostly disappear. Shore fishing is all we do now so I am happy to offer suggestions or ideas. Catfishing at Willard is great from the shore into fall. Perch can be found at Rockport, Echo, Hyrum, and many other locations. The browns bite hard off the local rivers in Sept and Oct : Weber and Provo are good choices. Trout fishing in the mts is amazing right now with a great hopper bite going on. Its a great time to grab the pole
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-16-2023, 07:58 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Glad to have you as part of our group. Lots of good people in this group that will help you.

Utah has a lot of diversity in fishing options for one of the driest states in the USA. Enjoy exploring them

Just a side note incase you were not aware. Lost Creek has a slot limit on size you can keep so be careful to measure if you want them for the grill.

And I did not answer your question but I can tell you fall is amazing for shore fishing and the summer crowds mostly disappear. Shore fishing is all we do now so I am happy to offer suggestions or ideas. Catfishing at Willard is great from the shore into fall. Perch can be found at Rockport, Echo, Hyrum, and many other locations. The browns bite hard off the local rivers in Sept and Oct : Weber and Provo are good choices. Trout fishing in the mts is amazing right now with a great hopper bite going on. Its a great time to grab the pole
Thank you for the information. I have never fished for catfish before but I heard they fight hard and are good eating. Thanks for the tip about size limits, I will make sure to do my research and add a measuring tape to my tackle box.
Thanks for the report and picture.  

It sure is nice to see that much water in LC for this time of year.

You can add East Canyon Reservoir to the already mentioned waters.

Have fun exploring our great state and good luck with the fishing. Smile
Welcome to the site!  Ditto to what others have told you about fall fishing from shore. It's just one of the best times to get out and wet a line while the fish have fattened themselves up for the wintertime. 

Just keep reading the many reports and info from the site, there's even past reports of specific waters there if you have an idea where you'd like to go to get some ideas about fishing there. Many will be a nice fall drive this time of year with all the colors already starting to turn at the higher elevations.