Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The bite
Sure hope the bite picks up at places other than Willard, need to get some bows for the smoker.
(09-18-2023, 07:55 PM)fishgiver Wrote: Sure hope the bite picks up at places other than Willard, need to get some bows for the smoker.

Deer Creek and other trout waters should improve a lot after the next weather cooldown.  I plan to test that theory my own self.
I fished Deer Creek today and Friday. Really slow. I expect it to pick up but no fish were harmed today. I think if I were looking for rainbows I would be inclined towards Jordanelle. We got quite a few back when we were fishing kokanee. Just a thought. Good luck.
Sources say the bite at the Gorge is picking up for bows
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-19-2023, 03:09 AM)brookie Wrote: I fished Deer Creek today and Friday. Really slow. I expect it to pick up but no fish were harmed today. I think if I were looking for rainbows I would be inclined towards Jordanelle. We got quite a few back when we were fishing kokanee. Just a thought. Good luck.

Im thinking about heading up to DC this weekend, can I ask what you were using that didn't work?  Maybe the Berry or Jordy will be the plan instead.
To be fair we started the day on Friday trying for walleye, bottom bouncers, jigs, etc before finally switching to trout stuff, kokanee gear, spinners, etc. VerDean did get 1 rainbow on a spinner rig he had tied. Monday l was alone. Fished a little bit for walleye but went to trout early. Again fished kokanee gear, cranks, jigs etc. I am not one to sit and bait fish so that might be more productive. Also I didn’t troll any flies, like woolly buggers.
I am camped on Mud Creek right now - went on the mountain this morning and found a grouse and went spotting deer for a friend this morning. He is trying to get me to meet him on Deer Creek in the morning against my advice. I’m trying to get him to come meet me here on strawberry. We’ll see what happens tomorrow.
It was cold here in camp last night 36* so things are cooling down. Hopefully the fishing will pick up soon.
I think if you want to catch fish you need to wait till it cools down.

but fishing is better than staying home   you never know when they will bit
(09-19-2023, 03:31 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Sources say the bite at the Gorge is picking up for bows

We fished the Gorge a month ago and we caught rainbows almost at will.  It just took a little time to find them.  Away from the Kokanee grounds.
Went back to Deer Creek this morning. Friend Dave wanted to try again. Did a little better. Two walleye and 2 rainbow. Walleye came on brown or black woolly buggers tipped with worm, trolled at about 20’. That was not what I expected. The rainbow came came on dark green spinner harness tipped with worm, trolled at 15 - 20’.
I still think we could get more rainbow at Jordanelle. I’m back in camp on Mud Creek and will fish Strawberry tomorrow morning and probably early next week.
(09-20-2023, 07:33 PM)brookie Wrote: Went back to Deer Creek this morning. Friend Dave wanted to try again. Did a little better. Two walleye and 2 rainbow. Walleye came on brown or black woolly buggers tipped with worm, trolled at about 20’. That was not what I expected. The rainbow came came on dark green spinner harness tipped with worm, trolled at 15 - 20’.
I still think we could get more rainbow at Jordanelle. I’m back in camp on Mud Creek and will fish Strawberry tomorrow morning and probably early next week.

Can you tell me the current temperature at deer creek.
I think it was 63* but not sure. Strawberry was 59* this morning.