Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regulation Changes
Hey guys I'm considering trying to get Utah to allow a five rod limit while ice fishing like Idaho and Wyoming allow. I am thinking that it would apply more to our trout lakes such as Causey, Porky, Bear Lake, etc. and not so much our panfish lakes like Newton and Mantua. So for example places like Henrys and the gorge allow multiple rods while ice fishing but they are primarily trout lakes. I can't speak for lakes south of cache valley and how this change would benefit or hurt them. Do you guys think this is something worth chasing and working on or what is your opinion on the matter?
I can't imagine dealing with 5 poles.
First it was two, now five, when will it end? Big Grin

I think two is one too many, but that's just me. Wink
(09-20-2023, 08:56 PM)gofish435 Wrote: First it was two, now five, when will it end? Big Grin

I gotta chortle and guffaw when I try to picture you waving 5 flyrods at a time.
Imo 2 is more than enough. Everyone that fishes either  soft or hard water should be the same. IMO
(09-20-2023, 06:01 PM)DjHill16 Wrote: Hey guys I'm considering trying to get Utah to allow a five rod limit while ice fishing like Idaho and Wyoming allow. I am thinking that it would apply more to our trout lakes such as Causey, Porky, Bear Lake, etc. and not so much our panfish lakes like Newton and Mantua. So for example places like Henrys and the gorge allow multiple rods while ice fishing but they are primarily trout lakes. I can't speak for lakes south of cache valley and how this change would benefit or hurt them. Do you guys think this is something worth chasing and working on or what is your opinion on the matter?

5 rods are for catching, not fishing.  Maybe they can initiate a catching license?
I imagine a dozen anglers watching 60 jaw jackers spread out over a football field of ice, and I shake my head in disapproval.
Two is more than enough, I can't imagine trying to fish with 5 poles. No thanks.
(09-20-2023, 09:01 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 08:56 PM)gofish435 Wrote: First it was two, now five, when will it end? Big Grin

I gotta chortle and guffaw when I try to picture you waving 5 flyrods at a time.

You know me, I have a hard enough time waving one of them around without hurting someone. Shy
My vote is also a NO to any more than the two rods we now can use...Like mentioned before, 5 sets, or 4, or 3, and you're just on a 'catching' expedition, not 'fishing'...Why not just let us drag a net?
(09-20-2023, 06:01 PM)DjHill16 Wrote: Hey guys I'm considering trying to get Utah to allow a five rod limit while ice fishing like Idaho and Wyoming allow. I am thinking that it would apply more to our trout lakes such as Causey, Porky, Bear Lake, etc. and not so much our panfish lakes like Newton and Mantua. So for example places like Henrys and the gorge allow multiple rods while ice fishing but they are primarily trout lakes. I can't speak for lakes south of cache valley and how this change would benefit or hurt them. Do you guys think this is something worth chasing and working on or what is your opinion on the matter?
I ice fish in Idaho frequently and see people fishing 5 rods and I can tell you that they are not catching any more fish than I am using 1 sometimes 2 rods. I regularly double and triple the number of fish caught using 1 pole compared to the guys around me using 5. Henrys Lake gets as much pressure as any lake in Utah and studies of the fish in that lake show that 90% of the fish die of old age. My point is I don’t think it would have any great effect on people’s success if they allowed 5 rods. 1 rod in the hand is a lot more effective than 5 rods in holders including jaw jackers that tend to miss more fish than they catch. The time it takes to tend multiple holes is better spent and more productive watching your graph and actively fishing 1 pole. I think it is unlikely Utah would go to allowing 5 lines but if it did so don’t think it would have much of an impact.

I ice fish in Idaho frequently and see people fishing 5 rods and I can tell you that they are not catching any more fish than I am using 1 sometimes 2 rods. I regularly double and triple fish caught using 1 pole of the guys around me using 5. Henrys Lake gets as much pressure as any lake in Utah and studies of the fish in that lake show that 90% of the fish die of old age. My point is I don’t think it would have any great effect on people’s success if they allowed 5 rods. 1 rod in the hand is a lot more effective than 5 rods in holders including jaw jackers that tend to miss more fish than they catch. The time it takes to tend multiple holes is better spent and more productive watching your graph and actively fishing 1 pole. I think it is unlikely Utah would go to allowing 5 lines but if it did so don’t think it would have much of an impact.
the only time I ever need more than two rods is when I'm catfishing and want to spread my bait out and cover more water. Gives you a good excuse to bring a buddy along to get another rod limit to use. Smile
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
I talked to Chris Penne about this a few months back, I thought it would be a good idea on Cutler... But after talking with Chris I agree with his thoughts. Let me try and summarize what I understood from that discussion... Basically with all the new tech that is available these days from live scope to 360 and etc, there is really no need for anglers to need more than the two rods currently allowed since the new tech is really evening the odds. It used to be that the multi rods could help you find where the fish were hiding, but now since you know where the fish are, you are simply left with figuring out what the fish will take... I've fished with multiple rods on the gorge and Henry's and the only time I have found it to be an advantage is at Henry's when the fish are into the one bite hit and run mode.. When you get one hit and they're gone if you aren't ready to set the hook you miss them and sometimes the jaw jackers will be able to set the hook for you so you can catch a fish... To me I liked the idea of multiple rods until I got set up with a full spread, now I never use more than two rods anymore... It's an idea that sounded good, but has proved to not really be that useful. We do use it on the gorge when we are trying to find what depth the burbot are going to bite at, but that was before we had the live scope in the group, so not sure if I'll even do that anymore... Anyway long story to say I used to think I wanted it, but now I've been converted to believe it's not necessary... I do hope we keep the two pole option though, I like to have a dead stick and a live action rod just to help figure out the bite for the day... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(09-21-2023, 04:30 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
I ice fish in Idaho frequently and see people fishing 5 rods and I can tell you that they are not catching any more fish than I am using 1 sometimes 2 rods. I regularly double and triple the number of fish caught using 1 pole compared to the guys around me using 5. Henrys Lake gets as much pressure as any lake in Utah and studies of the fish in that lake show that 90% of the fish die of old age. My point is I don’t think it would have any great effect on people’s success if they allowed 5 rods. 1 rod in the hand is a lot more effective than 5 rods in holders including jaw jackers that tend to miss more fish than they catch. The time it takes to tend multiple holes is better spent and more productive watching your graph and actively fishing 1 pole. I think it is unlikely Utah would go to allowing 5 lines but if it did so don’t think it would have much of an impact.

I ice fish in Idaho frequently and see people fishing 5 rods and I can tell you that they are not catching any more fish than I am using 1 sometimes 2 rods. I regularly double and triple fish caught using 1 pole of the guys around me using 5. Henrys Lake gets as much pressure as any lake in Utah and studies of the fish in that lake show that 90% of the fish die of old age. My point is I don’t think it would have any great effect on people’s success if they allowed 5 rods. 1 rod in the hand is a lot more effective than 5 rods in holders including jaw jackers that tend to miss more fish than they catch. The time it takes to tend multiple holes is better spent and more productive watching your graph and actively fishing 1 pole. I think it is unlikely Utah would go to allowing 5 lines but if it did so don’t think it would have much of an impact.
a 10% catching-harvesting/mortality/preditation rate seems unbelievably low on such a hard fished lake my google skills are lacking
A link to real factual data supporting this "claim" would be appreciated otherwise i call bs
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
I have to agree with the majority here , I think 2 rods are more than enough . 

Sorry , I have to agree with the majority here, 2 poles is plenty to keep up with . JMHO.
(09-21-2023, 05:25 PM)fishskibum Wrote:
(09-21-2023, 04:30 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

a 10% catching-harvesting/mortality/preditation rate seems unbelievably low on such a hard fished lake my google skills are lacking
A link to real factual data supporting this "claim" would be appreciated otherwise i call bs
I found this with a quick Google search, but I recall reading a study from Idaho Fish and game siting the less than 10% angler mortality rate from when they opened the lake to ice fishing past January 1st for catch and release fishing.
[font=NonBreakingSpaceOverride, "Hoefler Text", "Noto Serif", Garamond, "Times New Roman", serif]“The cutthroat generally live to be 4 years old but a few live to be around 6 years old. Mortality rates have been estimated at over 50 percent per year among catchable fish. However, most of the mortality is due to natural causes and not a result of fishing or angler harvest. Exploitation or the percentage of the fish population that is lost annually due to angling has been estimated at less than 5 percent.” https://www.henryslakefoundation.com/yel...oat-trout/[/font]
if a fish that has a 4 year life span is described as catchable at 1 and 1/2 years old and has a plus 50% mortality rate
how would 90% of them live to be generally 4 years old?
#fuzzy math
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
(09-25-2023, 01:28 PM)fishskibum Wrote: if a fish that has a 4 year life span is described as catchable at 1 and 1/2 years old and has a plus 50% mortality rate
#fuzzy math
I misspoke using "old age" should have said natural causes, the point is that anglers at a very popular high pressure fishery with a lot of catch and release have a minimal effect on fish mortality.
(09-25-2023, 03:20 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(09-25-2023, 01:28 PM)fishskibum Wrote: if a fish that has a 4 year life span is described as catchable at 1 and 1/2 years old and has a plus 50% mortality rate
#fuzzy math
I misspoke using "old age" should have said natural causes, the point is that anglers at a very popular high pressure fishery with a lot of catch and release have a minimal effect on fish mortality.
A lot of that depends on whether the anglers are using bait or not.
(09-25-2023, 06:00 PM)gofish435 Wrote:
(09-25-2023, 03:20 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
#fuzzy math
A lot of that depends on whether the anglers are using bait or not.
https://idfg.idaho.gov/article/henrys-la...r-20222023
Check out this link, there is an article about a study at Henrys Lake conducted recently about catch and release where they used bait as one of their methods of capture, It doesn't say but I suspect that they cut the line on deep hooked fish and didn't yank out any hooks, but they only had one mortality out of over 150 fish and it was a fish hooked in the mouth. Interesting article that I have sighted in the past when arguing with people on face book that claim I am destroying their fishery by catching and releasing dozens of fish in a day at Henrys.