Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decent Morning on the Last Day of Summer at Willard
I was pleasantly surprised when I woke up this morning and checked the weather to find that the rain had already passed and the forecast showed overcast with 5-7mph wind at Willard. I got a bit of a late start and a short window to fish but managed 10 cats from 8-11am. I dropped my fligs tipped with chub in 19’ of water off the feed lot and worked into the SW wind at .5mph It was not fast action, but it was steady. Water temp stayed around 66 degrees all morning.
[Image: IMG-1554.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1555.jpg]
You did good Shawn, what color flig worked the best for you?
(09-23-2023, 01:14 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: You did good Shawn, what color flig worked the best for you?
I ran a fire tiger and a pink perch Whirley.
(09-23-2023, 02:40 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(09-23-2023, 01:14 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: You did good Shawn, what color flig worked the best for you?

Did one color do better than the other? We try firetiger on every trip but have not done good at all with them our last four trips out there. When you say Pink perch, is that pink with black stripes on them?
(09-23-2023, 01:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-23-2023, 02:40 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

Did one color do better than the other? We try firetiger on every trip but have not done good at all with them our last four trips out there. When you say Pink perch, is that pink with black stripes on them?

Probably pink tiger there was no black stripes and probably 6 on pink 4 on fire tiger.
We hit the bay this morning for a few hours and not a bite, fished last weekend and did really well on the cats. But that's just Willard being Willard I guess

Curt I havent been on here for a few months , just curious are catfish the only fish biting on Willard, I havent had my boat on the water since mid June, I need to get it out at least once or twice before i put it away for the season.
(09-24-2023, 09:21 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:

Curt I havent been on here for a few months , just curious are catfish the only fish biting on Willard, I havent had my boat on the water since mid June, I need to get it out at least once or twice before i put it away for the season.
Some perch have been showing up...and the odd wiper.  But no serious walleyes yet.  However, water temps are now dropping below the 65 degree mark so a good wallie whacker like yourself should be able to score a few. 

Shad schools are still abundant and thick.  Lots of food with little competition for the predators.  Fishing slow with smaller lures will catch more fish than mach 3 with big cranks.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
(09-24-2023, 09:21 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:

I sent you an email Pete but never got a reply but I ran into one of your hunting buddies last week at Willard, I think his name was Terry. I agree with Pat about the fishing at Willard, cats are your best bet this time of the year but you never know what you could catch.