Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay 09/23/23
Went out with some family to Willard Bay on Saturday morning. We started the day at around 7:45 a.m. at the North Marina fishing docks but moved to the South Marina at around 10 a.m. after only getting nibbled on worms and hot dogs. upon moving to the South Marina my brother-in-law caught his PB channel catfish at 24 inches and 4.5 lbs. We were fishing in the channel next to the boat ramp. Besides the one catfish we caught two tiny bluegills (I was still excited because I had never caught one), and two small perch. We wouldn't have kept the perch if they hadn't completely swallowed our hooks. The area we were fishing had tons of snags and I think we lost a combined 4 or 5 hooks. We had a couple of fish we lost because they got themselves wrapped in the snags. It was a hectic day overall but we got the one good catfish. I soaked the fillets in milk overnight since I heard that removes some of the muddy flavor. I then used the fillets to make catfish po boys on freshly baked hoagie rolls for Sunday dinner, which were delicious (second picture below). 

Now onto some questions. I tried to bleed the catfish immediately and get it on ice as soon as it was out of the water. The top quarter of each of the fillets still had an orangish tint to it. I was told that comes from not bleeding it well enough. When fishing for kokanee and other smaller fish I have learned to just cut the gills and they bleed out on their own. Is there more than that I need to do for catfish?

[Image: 20230923-150337.jpg]
[Image: 20230924-175009-1.jpg]
(09-25-2023, 11:18 PM)holycrepes Wrote: Went out with some family to Willard Bay on Saturday morning. We started the day at around 7:45 a.m. at the North Marina fishing docks but moved to the South Marina at around 10 a.m. after only getting nibbled on worms and hot dogs. upon moving to the South Marina my brother-in-law caught his PB channel catfish at 24 inches and 4.5 lbs. We were fishing in the channel next to the boat ramp. Besides the one catfish we caught two tiny bluegills (I was still excited because I had never caught one), and two small perch. We wouldn't have kept the perch if they hadn't completely swallowed our hooks. The area we were fishing had tons of snags and I think we lost a combined 4 or 5 hooks. We had a couple of fish we lost because they got themselves wrapped in the snags. It was a hectic day overall but we got the one good catfish. I soaked the fillets in milk overnight since I heard that removes some of the muddy flavor. I then used the fillets to make catfish po boys on freshly baked hoagie rolls for Sunday dinner, which were delicious (second picture below). 

Now onto some questions. I tried to bleed the catfish immediately and get it on ice as soon as it was out of the water. The top quarter of each of the fillets still had an orangish tint to it. I was told that comes from not bleeding it well enough. When fishing for kokanee and other smaller fish I have learned to just cut the gills and they bleed out on their own. Is there more than that I need to do for catfish?

[Image: 20230923-150337.jpg]
[Image: 20230924-175009-1.jpg]

No need to bleed the catfish or any other species at Willard, just put them in the cooler on ice, no muddy flavor. Fillet and enjoy.
I cut the gills on all the fish I catch and get them on ice, in a cooler as fast as I can. When I clean the fish, I also use a nozzle You can adjust the spray and rinse the fillet really good. Rinse your fish good before you start to clean them.
(09-25-2023, 11:18 PM)holycrepes Wrote: Went out with some family to Willard Bay on Saturday morning. We started the day at around 7:45 a.m. at the North Marina fishing docks but moved to the South Marina at around 10 a.m. after only getting nibbled on worms and hot dogs. upon moving to the South Marina my brother-in-law caught his PB channel catfish at 24 inches and 4.5 lbs. We were fishing in the channel next to the boat ramp. Besides the one catfish we caught two tiny bluegills (I was still excited because I had never caught one), and two small perch. We wouldn't have kept the perch if they hadn't completely swallowed our hooks. The area we were fishing had tons of snags and I think we lost a combined 4 or 5 hooks. We had a couple of fish we lost because they got themselves wrapped in the snags. It was a hectic day overall but we got the one good catfish. I soaked the fillets in milk overnight since I heard that removes some of the muddy flavor. I then used the fillets to make catfish po boys on freshly baked hoagie rolls for Sunday dinner, which were delicious (second picture below). 

I have soaked my catfish fillets in water or even milk before but the best thing I do is cut off that yellow meat, you get that yellow meat even if you bleed them well. Pat might have other thoughts about it but I think all cats have that yellow meat
I have caught and eaten catfish from all over the USA.  And I have caught and eaten a whole lot of catfish from Willard Bay...since the late 1970s.  I might be qualified to render an opinion.  And I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions...as long as they don't try to force them on others.

My opinion is that Willard Bay catfish are some of the cleanest and best eating catfish in the country.  Unlike the cats from dirty, stagnant, algae-filled waters elsewhere Willard Bay cats require very little extra care to make them palatable.  You can bleed them, soak them in milk, salt water or other solutions if you want.  But most of that is largely unnecessary.

Keep your fish alive in a live well or basket and then kill and fillet them as soon as possible when you get in.  And then cook them thoroughly when cooking.  They are a dense and oily fleshed fish and it takes more cooking than it does for thinner white fleshed fillets from perch, walleyes or similar.   And if you coat them, don't use a batter.  It will be overcooked before the fish inside is completely done.  A dry coating is better.

Also, the fillets will cook faster and more thoroughly if you don't cook them whole.  Cutting into "finger strips" or trimming them to get more or less even sized pieces will help insure that all pieces are cooked completely.  See the attached pic for the way I like to trim Willard sized cats for frying, simmering or baking.  Also attaching a writeup I did a long time ago on basic cat filleting. 
[Image: TRIMMING.jpg]

There are two things I routinely do in the trimming.  One is to slice out the red flesh along the sides.  Some folks call this the "blood line".  In truth, it is sensory tissue along the lateral line that enables the fish to feel and interpret vibrations in the water.  The second thing I MAY do...depending on the fish...is slice out the yellow oily tissue on the top and bottom of the fillets.  This is not present on all cats.  Just the ones that have been eating well and storing extra oil in their tissues.

Lastly here is a link to a video I put together on CATFISH..HOOK TO PAN.   LINK TO VIDEO
It shows actual video of filleting and cooking that might help make things a bit easier for newbies.

Attached Files
.pdf   CATFISH FILLETING.pdf (Size: 424.86 KB / Downloads: 11)
I don't know if it's a hundred percent necessary, but I've seen catfish filleting videos where they cut the tail off completely to bleed their fish. I've experimented with cutting the gills and just making a cut at the base of the tail on both sides and I also cut the gills. My fillets are almost pure white and delicious to eat. No milk or salt water bath and they are awesome!
(09-27-2023, 02:14 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I have caught and eaten catfish from all over the USA.  And I have caught and eaten a whole lot of catfish from Willard Bay...since the late 1970s.  I might be qualified to render an opinion.  And I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions...as long as they don't try to force them on others.

My opinion is that Willard Bay catfish are some of the cleanest and best eating catfish in the country.  Unlike the cats from dirty, stagnant, algae-filled waters elsewhere Willard Bay cats require very little extra care to make them palatable.  You can bleed them, soak them in milk, salt water or other solutions if you want.  But most of that is largely unnecessary.

Keep your fish alive in a live well or basket and then kill and fillet them as soon as possible when you get in.  And then cook them thoroughly when cooking.  They are a dense and oily fleshed fish and it takes more cooking than it does for thinner white fleshed fillets from perch, walleyes or similar.   And if you coat them, don't use a batter.  It will be overcooked before the fish inside is completely done.  A dry coating is better.

Also, the fillets will cook faster and more thoroughly if you don't cook them whole.  Cutting into "finger strips" or trimming them to get more or less even sized pieces will help insure that all pieces are cooked completely.  See the attached pic for the way I like to trim Willard sized cats for frying, simmering or baking.  Also attaching a writeup I did a long time ago on basic cat filleting. 

There are two things I routinely do in the trimming.  One is to slice out the red flesh along the sides.  Some folks call this the "blood line".  In truth, it is sensory tissue along the lateral line that enables the fish to feel and interpret vibrations in the water.  The second thing I MAY do...depending on the fish...is slice out the yellow oily tissue on the top and bottom of the fillets.  This is not present on all cats.  Just the ones that have been eating well and storing extra oil in their tissues.

Lastly here is a link to a video I put together on CATFISH..HOOK TO PAN.   LINK TO VIDEO
It shows actual video of filleting and cooking that might help make things a bit easier for newbies.

Thank you so much for the information! Having grown up on the coast in the Pacific Northwest I am in completely new territory with things like catfish. There seems to be a lot of hearsay like with any type of fishing. I have always gone fishing because I like eating and I love to experiment with different ways of cooking.
(09-29-2023, 10:36 PM)holycrepes Wrote:
(09-27-2023, 02:14 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I have caught and eaten catfish from all over the USA.  And I have caught and eaten a whole lot of catfish from Willard Bay...since the late 1970s.  I might be qualified to render an opinion.  And I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions...as long as they don't try to force them on others.

Thank you so much for the information! Having grown up on the coast in the Pacific Northwest I am in completely new territory with things like catfish. There seems to be a lot of hearsay like with any type of fishing. I have always gone fishing because I like eating and I love to experiment with different ways of cooking.

I remember, way back, when we used to have BFT get togethers of you cooking your catfish for the party.  It was the best I had ever had, cooked to perfection and the perfect coatings cooked just right.  That has been the hard part for me. Getting the fish cooked enough without burning the coating.  It was there that I learned to cut them into small pieces to help make them finish cooking together.
As far as taste, In Utah, Willard is way up on the list but I think the Lake Powell fish are a little cleaner tasting, it could have been time of year or recent weather making Willards water murky that made the difference.
(10-01-2023, 12:25 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: I remember, way back, when we used to have BFT get togethers of you cooking your catfish for the party.  It was the best I had ever had, cooked to perfection and the perfect coatings cooked just right.  That has been the hard part for me. Getting the fish cooked enough without burning the coating.  It was there that I learned to cut them into small pieces to help make them finish cooking together.
As far as taste, In Utah, Willard is way up on the list but I think the Lake Powell fish are a little cleaner tasting, it could have been time of year or recent weather making Willards water murky that made the difference.

Oh yeah, the good ol' days.  See pic below. 
[Image: CHOW-HOUNDS.jpg]

Glad you liked my "Kitty Krispies".  As I tried to demonstrate, they cook better with a dry coating...after being cut into equal sized pieces to cook more evenly...and then cooked until they are completely done.  (See attached writeup on the recipe). 

As far as making comparisons on catfish caught from different waters, a true kitty connoisseur will take into account such variables as water quality, water temperatures, primary diet, size and age of the fish, etc.  All of those things can make a detectable difference in the same fish from the same waters under varying conditions.

Attached Files
.pdf   KITTY KRISPIES.pdf (Size: 561.89 KB / Downloads: 13)
(10-01-2023, 02:54 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(10-01-2023, 12:25 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: I remember, way back, when we used to have BFT get togethers of you cooking your catfish for the party.  It was the best I had ever had, cooked to perfection and the perfect coatings cooked just right.  That has been the hard part for me. Getting the fish cooked enough without burning the coating.  It was there that I learned to cut them into small pieces to help make them finish cooking together.

Glad you liked my "Kitty Krispies".  As I tried to demonstrate, they cook better with a dry coating...after being cut into equal sized pieces to cook more evenly...and then cooked until they are completely done.  (See attached writeup on the recipe). 

As far as making comparisons on catfish caught from different waters, a true kitty connoisseur will take into account such variables as water quality, water temperatures, primary diet, size and age of the fish, etc.  All of those things can make a detectable difference in the same fish from the same waters under varying conditions.

Ah yes, those were the days.... love the Kitty Krispies. We used a lower net carb version of Bisquick called Carbquick and only 1/4 cup of cornmenal to keep it closer to legal for our diet and they were awesome.
(10-01-2023, 02:54 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Yes, all of those things will make a difference in taste.  Caught one once in the St Lawrence Seaway, super clear river water but the main diet was snails and they tasted like it.  Awful.
(10-04-2023, 02:37 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: [quote pid="1149219" dateline="1696172061"]

Yes, all of those things will make a difference in taste.  Caught one once in the St Lawrence Seaway, super clear river water but the main diet was snails and they tasted like it.  Awful.
[/quote]

A lot of folks have the ingrained opinion that all catfish feed only on dead stinky stuff.  Actually, they maintain a good clean diet of live stuff...like minnows, crawdads and such wherever the water is clear enough for them to become sight feeders.  I have caught cats in Willard on topwater stuff...casting into wiper boils.  I have also caught them only five or six feet down on minnows below a bobber in 20 feet of water.  And anybody who has trolled cranks at mach 3 in the summer has tales of catfish hitting the same lures they are dragging for wipers or walleyes.

Some who dine on Willard kitties claim they can taste an off flavor resulting from the fish eating a lot of gizzard shad.  True, the shad are stinky creatures.  But that is mostly in their skin and slime.  The flesh of shad is edible and some species are prized as game fish and food fish.

Even in lakes more typically murky...like Utah Lake...the cats live largely on a diet of live prey...like the young of white bass and other species...and crawdads.  But for quality eats you will do better to keep the smaller cats and release the bigger ones.  The bigger and older they get the more likely you will be to encounter some stronger flavors.  Still good and edible, but not as mild.  Also, the older a catfish gets the more it accumulate a buildup of objectionable or dangerous water chemistry...like PCBs in Utah Lake.  But anything under about 22 inches is usually prime.
First time I ever fished Willard was at a Utah BASS Federation event. Mike Casey ( some of you may know Mike from Smith & Edwards) was President of the Fed and was trying to get some publicity for the pond and better management. We fished crankbaits along the rip rap, what an experience. Those cats hit those cranks like a ton of bricks !! First one that I caught almost took the rod out of my hands. Mike and some of the NUBA guys put on the fish fry and it was exceptional !! That was 43 years ago !!
The best catfish I've ever eaten were commercially-raised "pounders" in Mississippi (the catfish raising capital of the universe).

Restaurants there bread them in cornmeal and deep fry them whole. Then serve them piled high in "AYCE" baskets with fries and hush puppies. In those days I could eat three or maybe three and a half of them if I went easy on the fries. Those cats would run about six to eight ounces cleaned, headless, and cooked. Just about a foot long and as sweet as bluegill. The baskets, with five or six fish in them, were golden mounds of deliciousness.