Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell 9/20-9/24
Been a little while since I last posted. I have been so busy that I haven't been out fishing much. Hoping to change that for the fall and winter fishing! Got to spend a few days at Lake Powell last week with my dad and brother for our annual trip. We usually go in the spring but we had to go later this year. Anyway the fishing was probably the worst I have ever had at Lake Powell. We caught some but it was very very slow. Caught mostly smallmouth bass and Sunfish with the occasional Largemouth and Catfish. No crappie or walleye unfortunately. Only 1 striper. Did see a bonus of 2 coyotes so that was cool! All these years of going there, I haven't seen any at Powell. We're hoping to continue back to the spring next year! Fishing is so much better then. I get every species in the lake that time of year and catch way more in quantity too. Overall it was still a fun trip!
Thanks for the report, too bad the catching was so slow, were you seeing any boils?
(09-28-2023, 01:50 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report, too bad the catching was so slow, were you seeing any boils?

I did see some small shad with some bigger splashes by them which I'm guessing were stripers. Never even got a strike throwing lures in those.
Personally, I feel like the best time of year is late October and early November when the water temps drop below 65. The spring can be fun, but no boils...sorry you had a tough trip, but I think you were there too soon.
(10-04-2023, 08:47 PM)wormandbobber Wrote: Personally, I feel like the best time of year is late October and early November when the water temps drop below 65. The spring can be fun, but no boils...sorry you had a tough trip, but I think you were there too soon.
I was actually wondering that too. It was still pretty hot so I was wondering if I was too early. Unfortunately it was the only time I could go this year.
The thing about Powell is that you go when you can...the lake always makes for good times.
There is a very narrow window where the water is between 65 and 71. So you can both swim and catch big fish on the surface. Last year it lasted two days! I was there. The window between temps 72 and 75 seems to last much longer but the big stipers are still deep. Bass don’t seem to mind these higher temps. Walleye and Stripers do.
[Image: IMG-3692.png]
Wayne says best water temp is 67 degrees. Not coincidentally that is when I plan my fall trip.