Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sturgeon Questions
Hello guys, I figured I'd ask a question here since I know there are at least a few sturgeon enthusiasts around. I am planning to do a little bank fishing for sturgeon with a friend in October in Idaho. We are both big fans of catfishing and it seems to be pretty similar in practice. I am thinking of fishing the stretch below American Falls Dam but would listen to any advice about possibly fishing other sections (not looking for a honey hole, just general stretches of the Snake River or its reservoirs). I am aware there is a closure on part of the Snake, too. I have the rod and reel and line to handle a sturgeon and am familiar with Idaho's regulations on handling these awesome animals as well as the rigging and barbless hooks. 

My main questions are:

1. How much weight do you normally use? Bank sinker or pyramid? Or different?
  2. What size of hooks? I was gonna use Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks in sizes 6/0 and 8/0 with the barb pinched. Thoughts?
  3. Any bait recommendations?
  4. I am planning to use a very heavy duty (~130 lb) sturgeon leader. Good idea?
Thanks for any pointers. Big Grin
(09-29-2023, 12:37 AM)Envenomation09 Wrote: Hello guys, I figured I'd ask a question here since I know there are at least a few sturgeon enthusiasts around. I am planning to do a little bank fishing for sturgeon with a friend in October in Idaho. We are both big fans of catfishing and it seems to be pretty similar in practice. I am thinking of fishing the stretch below American Falls Dam but would listen to any advice about possibly fishing other sections (not looking for a honey hole, just general stretches of the Snake River or its reservoirs). I am aware there is a closure on part of the Snake, too. I have the rod and reel and line to handle a sturgeon and am familiar with Idaho's regulations on handling these awesome animals as well as the rigging and barbless hooks. 

My main questions are:

2. What size of hooks? I was gonna use Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks in sizes 6/0 and 8/0 with the barb pinched. Thoughts?
Just be warned that sturgeon fishing is pretty addicting! I started a couple years ago and now it one of my favorite fish to catch.

1. I use 6-12oz cannon ball style weights depending on the current. less is easier to cast around but you gotta keep bottom 
              contact with your rig.
          2. I like 7/0 Gamakatsu octopus hooks the best. Dont just pinch the barb but also file or grind them down with a dremel. I have had 
              fish and game rub the hook on their shirt to see if the barb snags at all.
          3. Crappie is king on the snake. but if you can't get your hands on any, shrimp, pickled herring, and salmon all work.
          4. Follow the fish and games rigging requirements. Use a minimum of 50lb main line and 30lb test mono for the line from your sinker
              slider to your sinker.

Hope this helps!
(09-29-2023, 12:37 AM)Envenomation09 Wrote: Hello guys, I figured I'd ask a question here since I know there are at least a few sturgeon enthusiasts around. I am planning to do a little bank fishing for sturgeon with a friend in October in Idaho. We are both big fans of catfishing and it seems to be pretty similar in practice. I am thinking of fishing the stretch below American Falls Dam but would listen to any advice about possibly fishing other sections (not looking for a honey hole, just general stretches of the Snake River or its reservoirs). I am aware there is a closure on part of the Snake, too. I have the rod and reel and line to handle a sturgeon and am familiar with Idaho's regulations on handling these awesome animals as well as the rigging and barbless hooks. 

My main questions are:

I like pyramid weights, typically in 8 or 10 ounce. I pour my own using a modified mold with the eye attached to the point.  Less snags that way. Anywhere from 5/0 to 8/0 hooks will work. The hooks you listed are good hooks. For bait salmon, trout, pickled herring, whitefish, perch, Cisco, nightcrawlers and a few other baits will work. I use 100 pound braided line and 80 pound soft Dacron for leader. I use 20 pound Dacron for tying on my weights. Below American Falls dam is a good place for shore fishing if you can make a long cast. Either fish from the sturgeon dock or from the fenced landing area just above the sturgeon dock.