Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinedale
So, I have about 4 days off in mid oct. Was planning to go south for pike but my darling bride informed me she wanted one more trip to the moutians. And if Cookie says we are going high and seeing the mts then that is what we are doing.  Rather than the Uintas we are looking at a trip over to Pinedale. I have been over that way a few times but always early / mid summer. Never late fall. 

Suggestions on camping that late, in that area,  considering the hunts and all. Will be pulling our RV

Will be trying for some shallow lake trout that have spawning on the mind. Anyone have advice on that idea. Maybe check out meadow to see how the grayling are doing.

Will be doing a bit of just wandering and looking at the amazing Wind Rivers maybe with a grouse gun in tow. Any road or locations that you enjoy - especially if they lead to a creek with hungry hippos waiting for an old country boy with his whipy stick.

And as always if you show up at camp have a plate handy and dip into the Dutch oven while I toss another stick on the fire.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-29-2023, 01:23 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: So, I have about 4 days off in mid oct. Was planning to go south for pike but my darling bride informed me she wanted one more trip to the moutians. And if Cookie says we are going high and seeing the mts then that is what we are doing.  Rather than the Uintas we are looking at a trip over to Pinedale. I have been over that way a few times but always early / mid summer. Never late fall. 

Suggestions on camping that late, in that area,  considering the hunts and all. Will be pulling our RV

Will be trying for some shallow lake trout that have spawning on the mind. Anyone have advice on that idea. Maybe check out meadow to see how the grayling are doing.

Will be doing a bit of just wandering and looking at the amazing Wind Rivers maybe with a grouse gun in tow. Any road or locations that you enjoy - especially if they lead to a creek with hungry hippos waiting for an old country boy with his whipy stick.

And as always if you show up at camp have a plate handy and dip into the Dutch oven while I toss another stick on the fire.

Too bad no one had any suggestions for your Pinedale trip, hope you are able to figure something out Lance.  I do have an unrelated non fishing question, have you and Carrie ever tried to find and gather pine nuts when you go on any of these mountain trips?
(10-01-2023, 01:24 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-29-2023, 01:23 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: So, I have about 4 days off in mid oct. Was planning to go south for pike but my darling bride informed me she wanted one more trip to the moutians. And if Cookie says we are going high and seeing the mts then that is what we are doing.  Rather than the Uintas we are looking at a trip over to Pinedale. I have been over that way a few times but always early / mid summer. Never late fall. 

Too bad no one had any suggestions for your Pinedale trip, hope you are able to figure something out Lance.  I do have an unrelated non fishing question, have you and Carrie ever tried to find and gather pine nuts when you go on any of these mountain trips?

Not to worried about the response. I expect not as many members on our site wander that direction and those that do prefer to keep their spots a bit tight to their chest. I respect that...

I have backpacked that area a number of times, but always from lower than Pinedale -  around the Little Sandy Opening trailhead. And, we have camped on Fremont and up on the Green River lake outlet a couple times so I have a basic idea of the area. 

Cookie's  family is from all all over Wyoming so a couple calls and some sit down with a map with my father-in-law and we have a pretty good plan. Word is the gates may still be open on the forest service campgrounds and since we will be headed their a bit later in the day, I think we will try to just stay in one of them to keep it simple vs. wandering to find a dispersed camp spot. Doing that will put us right in the middle of a bunch of lakes and streams and we can just wander north and south to explore and enjoy. I do think we will drive to Meadow Lake to check out the grayling and my wife really likes the newfork / willow lake areas, so they will get some time on the agenda. From there I have never fished boulder, and want to check it out and we marked a half dozed creeks out that should be fun to explore. Should be a good time

As for pine nuts - my wife's family loves to hunt for them and mushrooms but when it is just us with Buckwheat and his wheelchair we dont do it so much. Although we rarely pass of a berry that is still clinging on.

We did drive over to Rockport last evening with Careys young nephews. But with the storm front whipping up a froth we just tossed in the minnow traps for a few minutes. One of them loaded up with 3 inch smallmouth (no good bait fish). The kids had fun.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew