Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crappie and sturgeon
got back from Id yesterday
wanted to catch some crappie for bait so took my vac sealer to put them in.
stopped fishing  for sturgeon and went after Crappie,  at 11:30, most crappie I have ever got in a short time not sure how many I got did not count.    was trolling lucked out with my set ups. had two downriggers on the boat.   so had 4 lines out two long lines the crappie were down 20 to 40 feet in 45 feet deep water
what I did was put a  1 1/2 in. rapala  on the bottom of the line then came up 18 in./ and put a mini tube jig on so had two hooks on each line 
it took me about 20 min to come up with the right colors.   on the long lines would let out 20 feet then add a clip weight which I was hoping it would get me down 25 to 30 feet,   then let out more line about 55 feet in all.     the crappie  would hit the tube jig first then the rapala,  so was reeling in two at a time did not have time to touch the poles on the downriggers.

the bad thin about this was my boat gas cost 
$130  for the trip.

had my wife with me it is hard for me to take pictures of sturgeon. my wife does not do much but watch
got some big ones but could not put a tape on them and they are bigger than what the pictures show.  so here is some we got  one looked like he was close to 8 feet he made 3 big runs, to much work for a old man.

[Image: DSCN3300.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3310.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3319.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3324.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3332.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3336.jpg]
Looks like you had a good trip. I love a good sturgeon trip.
Wow. Great day with crappie and sturgeon. Did ya shore fry a few of them crappie for a snack? Sure would have been tempting
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-29-2023, 06:26 PM)liketrolling Wrote: Great job of the sturgeon Robert. Was there any size to the crappies at all?
Sunrise on the water
(10-02-2023, 06:36 PM)WET1 Wrote:
(09-29-2023, 06:26 PM)liketrolling Wrote: Great job of the sturgeon Robert. Was there any size to the crappies at all?

their not to big, there are so many of them in there looks like they would run out of food.
I had a camera on my line when fishing for sturgeon the perch would go nuts over the crappie bait   
a lot of perch in there that still your bait
don't know how to post a video here out of my camera.
[Image: Image2.jpg]

[Image: Image3.jpg]

[Image: Image4.jpg]
Congratulations Robert on a fine trip. I have never known anyone to troll for crappie. You definitely live up to your username.