Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo this past Wednesday
I got a chance to launch the float tube this past Wednesday evening. I marked fish 15 to 28 feet of water. The surface temp was 64 degrees and it was a bit windy. I had plans to sharp shoot, or vertical ice fish, to fish I marked with a tikka minnow. I caught a 6-inch perch near the bottom. I also scored two crappies in the suspended marks. One was 8 inches but the other was a 13 incher. I think if I had maybe brought smaller presentations, I could have scored more crappie. I was focused on finding and catching walleye. I gave it almost 2 hours fighting the wind. Kinda hard to vertical fish with the wind. Kinda wishing I had brought those smaller presentations, as I think I only got the aggressive fish to bite.
Gabe
I was trying to decide whether to fish Echo or Rockport this last Thursday and decided on Rockport because I did pretty well the week before. Although I did pretty good after reading your report I kind of wished I'd had gone to Echo. I'm dying to catch some Crappie. What size would you have gone to with a smaller presentation.
(09-30-2023, 10:45 PM)lovetofish Wrote: I was trying to decide whether to fish Echo or Rockport this last Thursday and decided on Rockport because I did pretty well the week before. Although I did pretty good after reading your report I kind of wished I'd had gone to Echo. I'm dying to catch some Crappie. What size would you have gone to with a smaller presentation.

The tikka minnow I was using was probably 2 inches long maybe a bit less, so maybe a small plastic on a small jig, or a small spoon. I would think a minnow-shaped small plastic would do well, or a small hair jig. Probably a 1/16 ounce up to 1/8 ounce jig. Good luck if you go, I heard this past early summer from someone who caught slab crappie through the ice last winter.
Gabe