Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friday Grind at Willard
Beautiful conditions at Willard warm no wind Friday, but I can still complain, a little chop would have helped. We only put 7 cats in the box had several lost near the boat and a number of pop and drops. The pink Whirly flig was our best in 19’ of water, tipped with chub. Water was around 63 all day.
[Image: IMG-1572.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1575.jpg]
(10-08-2023, 01:19 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote: Beautiful conditions at Willard with Randy and Scott, warm no wind Friday, but I can still complain, a little chop would have helped. We only put 7 cats in the box had several lost near the boat and a number of pop and drops. The pink Whirly flig was our best in 19’ of water, tipped with chub. Water was around 63 all day.

Those cats do put on a great battle.  Lots of fun, looks like you got no perch or eyes. We have had great weather to be on the water. 
Were you doing a slow troll on the bottom with bait?
(10-08-2023, 04:09 AM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:19 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote: Beautiful conditions at Willard with Randy and Scott, warm no wind Friday, but I can still complain, a little chop would have helped. We only put 7 cats in the box had several lost near the boat and a number of pop and drops. The pink Whirly flig was our best in 19’ of water, tipped with chub. Water was around 63 all day.

Those cats do put on a great battle.  Lots of fun, looks like you got no perch or eyes. We have had great weather to be on the water. 
Were you doing a slow troll on the bottom with bait?
We where strolling at .5 mph. Anything other than cats this time of year is just a bonus for me the last few years I only target walleye, and wipers in May and June when they are easy. I think I could catch a few walleye and wipers on bottom bouncers if I worked at it more in the fall, but why bang my head on the wall when the catfish are a lot more cooperative and they pull pretty good.
Don't know if you read my report or not, but I was out Thursday and found most of my fish in shallower water than you were fishing...14 - 16 feet.

I might be going back up next Friday.  Weather looks a bit hinky midweek.
(10-08-2023, 01:32 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Don't know if you read my report or not, but I was out Thursday and found most of my fish in shallower water than you were fishing...14 - 16 feet.

I’m taking my daughter and a couple neighborhood kids fishing next Friday either Willard or Strawberry. I should have responded to you when you mentioned lowering your standards and possibly joining me on Friday the 13th. When I report 19’ that really means 17-20 as I work back and forth crossing “The Road” that parallels the bank. I find that I get bit more when I have predator marks without bait balls above them I’m hoping the fishing will get even better once the shad have their annual die off.
(10-08-2023, 03:09 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:32 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Don't know if you read my report or not, but I was out Thursday and found most of my fish in shallower water than you were fishing...14 - 16 feet.

I’m taking my daughter and a couple neighborhood kids fishing next Friday either Willard or Strawberry. I should have responded to you when you mentioned lowering your standards and possibly joining me on Friday the 13th. When I report 19’ that really means 17-20 as I work back and forth crossing “The Road” that parallels the bank. I find that I get bit more when I have predator marks without bait balls above them I’m hoping the fishing will get even better once the shad have their annual die off.
I also caught "stray" fish in 17 and 19 FOW.  But I both saw more "predator marks" and caught more fish in the aforementioned shallower zones.  I am sure it varies at different spots around the lake.  A good argument for having mobility and good electronics to search them out.  

Let me know if you will be heading to Willard and I can bring along my trinket boxes.  By the way, have you tried the orange tiger?  I seem to sometimes get more love on that than even the pink tiger.  Also, the chartreuse with three red spots has been good since summer.  However, I believe that being in the right zone...with the right bait at the right speed...is more important sometimes than color alone.