Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for you Willard regulars
A friend I know that fishes Willard on a regular bases was out there this week and noticed the water clarity had changed a bunch from one day to the next, it was great catching on the first day but the next day he noticed the water was much murkier. Usually the wind can cause this but it had not been windy, he was thinking that maybe the lake had turned over Undecided
I wasn't sure if Willard was deep enough to have a turn over but since the lake is deeper this year I really wasn't sure, what do you think?
I guess the other option was that some muddy water had entered the lake during the night but it seemed unlikely to me that it could have spread around the lake that fast. He did say the East side of the lake was worse than the West side.
Anybody care to share their thoughts?
No turnover in shallow low altitude lakes like Willard.  Turbidity is the result of either a lot of muddy inflow or a lot of wind...which agitates shoreline muddy areas.  There have been some fronts moving through which produce periods of high wind and waves...and that will do it.

But everybody is entitled to my opinion.
They shut the canal down last week maybe that might have something to do with it??
This guy was out there on Fri and Sat
I was there today and the water was murky. Trolled all over the place and didn’t get a single bite.
(10-08-2023, 09:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: A friend I know that fishes Willard on a regular bases was out there this week and noticed the water clarity had changed a bunch from one day to the next, it was great catching on the first day but the next day he noticed the water was much murkier. Usually the wind can cause this but it had not been windy, he was thinking that maybe the lake had turned over Undecided
I wasn't sure if Willard was deep enough to have a turn over but since the lake is deeper this year I really wasn't sure, what do you think?
I guess the other option was that some muddy water had entered the lake during the night but it seemed unlikely to me that it could have spread around the lake that fast. He did say the East side of the lake was worse than the West side.
Anybody care to share their thoughts?

I agree with Pat, I been out there quite a few days and the water has for some reason gotten very turbid and caused the bite to really slow over the last bit.
These storms have had some of the strongest winds I have seen at Willard this year I was out there twice when the waves were breaking up onto the jedy between the north marina and Pelican bay I watched a few of the huge concrete barriers tip over into the lake that day, also got my truck washed by waves splashing up on it.
I was out yesterday and noticed more had tipped in some must have had some more big wind with last storm that caused all the lake to change clarity so suddenly.
Was at Willard yesterday.. the water did have a green tint to it and visibility was less than a foot.. Thought it was just Alge.water temp was 62°.
So it won't last long.. should clear up when the temp drops a bit more.
One possible cause of the turbidity might be the high water spring we had.,..with lots of mud in the water.  Some of that mud settled out into the flooded rocks and is now being stirred up again by the winds.  The heaviest winds usually come in from the northwest, west or southwest.  The waves scour out the silted rocky shoreline along the east side.
(10-09-2023, 08:42 PM)TubeDude Wrote: One possible cause of the turbidity might be the high water spring we had.,..with lots of mud in the water.  Some of that mud settled out into the flooded rocks and is now being stirred up again by the winds.  The heaviest winds usually come in from the northwest, west or southwest.  The waves scour out the silted rocky shoreline along the east side.

I'd say that is a good theory.