Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macs from the Shore
Our second target in the Grand Slam quest to catch every game fish west of the Rocky Mts was...Lake trout

I was fully planning to check this box on the ice at the Gorge this winter but at the last minute we changed our Fall Vacation to the Wind Rivers to target the prespawn lakers that move closer to shore and in range of our bank casting ability.

It was so cold. A front moved in with us and kept the temps in low 35-45 range until Sunday on our drive out when it jumped to balmy 48 Smile. That put the bite off and made catching tough.

We pulled our RV into the campground at Fremont lake. Great central location to wander out and explore from. We went south the first day towards Boulder and Meadow lake. We got a few bows at Boulder but no Macs and we got skunked at Meadow for Grayling - that was a tough kick to the old ego.

After that we wandered towards the Green River lakes. That road has got worse since I last traveled it and that is saying a lot 'cause the last time I pulled an RV over it and it broke up my cupboards. It was snowing and cold so we only made a couple casts, took photos and headed back.

We finished up at Newfork and Willow. The bite was starting to improve as the weather pattern stabilized. We picked up Macs and Rainbows on bait on the bottom, Silver Bling, and Pats Fligs tipped with a worm. They loved the Flig that was white with red dots. And the bows liked Pats jig with a spin blade under it - not sure what you call that one Pat. Also a few on fly and a bubble. I did not get to try out the streams and Rivers on this go - but I marked a lot of likely spots for my next trip.

Pinedale is a great town with wonderful Cafe's and they are pretty accepting of tourist. The Wind Rivers are just flat 'mazing. Cookie has designated this as our new late fall trip. She loved it even though she was sick with the croup the whole time. I sure burnt up the propane keeping the RV warm

I showed her the trail heads I hiked out of with dad but she was not up to a 15 mile hike for a Golden Trout.

here is a link to the video - unfortunately  I lost some good footage when my gopro acted up in the cold

https://youtu.be/8_T2E1zT5vY

And a few photos for those who like that...

[Image: 20231013-113629.jpg]

[Image: 20231013-143958.jpg]

[Image: 20231014-173502.jpg]
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Sure do love those big mountain peaks across the lake. It's been a long time since I hiked the wind rivers. Lots of bears up there. Thanks for the pictures. ?
(10-16-2023, 02:25 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: We finished up at Newfork and Willow. The bite was starting to improve as the weather pattern stabilized. We picked up Macs and Rainbows on bait on the bottom, Silver Bling, and Pats Fligs tipped with a worm. They loved the Flig that was white with red dots. And the bows liked Pats jig with a spin blade under it - not sure what you call that one Pat. Also a few on fly and a bubble. I did not get to try out the streams and Rivers on this go - but I marked a lot of likely spots for my next trip.
Great report.  Great tenacity.

Sounds like you might have been flinging one of my "pony jigs" (Roadrunners).  Is this it?
[Image: PONY-JIG-PBJ-s.jpg]

(10-16-2023, 12:13 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 02:25 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: We finished up at Newfork and Willow. The bite was starting to improve as the weather pattern stabilized. We picked up Macs and Rainbows on bait on the bottom, Silver Bling, and Pats Fligs tipped with a worm. They loved the Flig that was white with red dots. And the bows liked Pats jig with a spin blade under it - not sure what you call that one Pat. Also a few on fly and a bubble. I did not get to try out the streams and Rivers on this go - but I marked a lot of likely spots for my next trip.

Sounds like you might have been flinging one of my "pony jigs" (Roadrunners).  Is this it?

Yup. That there be the ones. Bows were sitting in the 1st 15 ft of water and would smash them as I let them free fall through the school.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(10-16-2023, 02:44 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 12:13 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Yup. That there be the ones. Bows were sitting in the 1st 15 ft of water and would smash them as I let them free fall through the school.
I have been a big Roadrunner fan for MANY years...and have caught many species of fish on them.  Here in Utah I have caught just about every species of trout on them...including some good sized macks in Bear Lake when fishing for the whitefish.
[Image: ORANGE-SPOTTED-GOLD.jpg] [Image: BIG-FISH-SMALL-JIG.jpg] [Image: PALE-PERCH-ROADRUNNER.jpg] [Image: NICE-MAKEUP.jpg]
Wind Rivers is on my to-do list here sometime soon...this may just expedite that happening! WTG!
(10-18-2023, 10:34 PM)richyd4u Wrote: Wind Rivers is on my to-do list here sometime soon...this may just expedite that happening! WTG!

You have got to go there. Spectacular
That's awesome catching the macs from shore. Back in the day, people use to camp on the East shore of Bear lake and catch macs for shore but you don't hear of many people doing that now days. On outdoors with adam eakle they were talking about catching macs from shore at the Gorge.