Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Trailer Axel Advice
So I had my wheel bearing go out on my boat trailer and by the time I got to a safe spot it had really jacked up the bearing seats... So it appears the outer bearing won't be securely tight to the axel shaft if I was to replace just the bearing... So from my engineering back ground I know what I need to do, but the farmer in me keeps looking for a work around... 

Anyway I have found axel assemblies from $270 to $350 on line that include bearings and hubs, you just connect them at the leaf springs and it doesn't look like too difficult of a job, except for the boat still on the trailer and no way to move it to where I can get it off..  At this price point should I even be considering trying to do anything with the current axel to restore it?  I'm thinking the axel assembly would be a lot easier and more likely to be properly aligned... What are your thoughts?  

I'm looking at getting some wood cribbing to block the trailer up while I work on the axel, any better ideas on how to take care of that issue?  Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I've tried to replace spindles with marginal success. Pretty tricky to get them aligned with just a framing square or whatever. I'm sure it can be done, but not perfectly with my tools and knowledge. I've had best luck just replacing the complete axle. I just jacked it up and used 16 inch logs (sitting stumps) for cribbing, one at each rear corner and one at the hitch and it was rock solid. You might want to check with advantage trailer parts in Orem. They have hundreds of axle assemblies in stock and last time I bought from them it was less expensive than the online ones shipped.
(10-17-2023, 01:47 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: I've tried to replace spindles with marginal success. Pretty tricky to get them aligned with just a framing square or whatever. I'm sure it can be done, but not perfectly with my tools and knowledge. I've had best luck just replacing the complete axle. I just jacked it up and used 16 inch logs (sitting stumps) for cribbing, one at each rear corner and one at the hitch and it was rock solid. You might want to check with advantage trailer parts in Orem. They have hundreds of axle assemblies in stock and last time I bought from them it was less expensive than the online ones shipped.

Thanks for this advice, it is what I figured, I just need some help pushing me over dead center to move on a new axel...  I was thinking the same thing of using stumps so good to hear that configuration will be safe and solid to do the work...  Appreciate the tip of Advanced, we have a trailer supply here in Logan that I was going to check before I order something, so good to know there are other sources around... Thank you... Jeff
(10-17-2023, 02:13 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(10-17-2023, 01:47 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: I've tried to replace spindles with marginal success. Pretty tricky to get them aligned with just a framing square or whatever. I'm sure it can be done, but not perfectly with my tools and knowledge. I've had best luck just replacing the complete axle. I just jacked it up and used 16 inch logs (sitting stumps) for cribbing, one at each rear corner and one at the hitch and it was rock solid. You might want to check with advantage trailer parts in Orem. They have hundreds of axle assemblies in stock and last time I bought from them it was less expensive than the online ones shipped.

Thanks for this advice, it is what I figured, I just need some help pushing me over dead center to move on a new axel...  I was thinking the same thing of using stumps so good to hear that configuration will be safe and solid to do the work...  Appreciate the tip of Advanced, we have a trailer supply here in Logan that I was going to check before I order something, so good to know there are other sources around... Thank you... Jeff

Just replace the entire axle and get an extra spindle and hub with bearings. Weld the spindle to the trailer (mine is to the spare tire mount) and mount the spare hub for use as a complete spare when on the road and something begins to fail.   Change out take less than 15 minutes on the side of the road.
That's a great idea if I was smart and had the extra cash... I'll try to work that direction so I don't get caught unprepared on the road... Nice suggestion... Thank you.. Jeff
I don't weld the spindle on but I do keep a spare complete hub assembly (pre greased) onboard for that situation. Just pop the cap off and pull the pin and nut, put the new assembly on and you're back on the road. Even if the spindle is toast the new assembly is good for a few hundred miles and will usually get you home. The complete hub assembly was only about $50 on Amazon and is as essential as a spare tire in my opinion if your trailer is single axle. On my bigger boat with tandem axles I have had to limp in on 3 wheels more than once so I should probably keep one on board for that trailer as well. Most of my problems have occurred on longer trips mostly heading to or from Lake Powell.
I would probably do like you say and keep the new assembly out of the weather so it stays new... I always assumed the bad bearing issues will show up on long trips... However, that wasn't the case for my current issue, it happened on a 2 mile tow, it squawked on the way to launch and then went to pieces on the ride home... I took it easy and crawled home so I didn't have to fix it on the road without a shoulder, but ended up causing a lot of damage, so I should have figured out how to fix it sooner... But probably would have had bigger issues anyway... I really didn't expect issues with this trailer, it had the bearing buddies and the ability to grease it, so I'd kept it greased, but it was a used boat, and I don't know how it was treated before I got it, and it was in storage for several years before I got it, so likely had old grease and maybe water corrode it while it was just sitting there. Anyway it will be nice to know it has good bearings and all after I get it fixed this time... Later J
(10-17-2023, 07:32 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I would probably do like you say and keep the new assembly out of the weather so it stays new...  I always assumed the bad bearing issues will show up on long trips... However, that wasn't the case for my current issue, it happened on a 2 mile tow, it squawked on the way to launch and then went to pieces on the ride home... I took it easy and crawled home so I didn't have to fix it on the road without a shoulder, but ended up causing a lot of damage, so I should have figured out how to fix it sooner... But probably would have had bigger issues anyway... I really didn't expect issues with this trailer, it had the bearing buddies and the ability to grease it, so I'd kept it greased, but it was a used boat, and I don't know how it was treated before I got it, and it was in storage for several years before I got it, so likely had old grease and maybe water corrode it while it was just sitting there.  Anyway it will be nice to know it has good bearings and all after I get it fixed this time...  Later J

My $.02 on bearing buddies:

In theory it sounds good to hit a zerk with a grease gun and go fishing, but it actually is not that simple. The bearing buddy only has the ability to grease the outer bearing so the inner bearing never gets any new grease. Furthermore, the inner bearing is also the one that gets water coming in through the seal. No matter how good the seals, double lip, triple lip etc. my experience tells me that a little water always intrudes. There is just no way to keep water out of the hub when you plunge a warm hub into cold water repeatedly. So not only is no new grease getting to the bearing, water is washing out the old grease that you packed in there. All my bearing failures have been the inner one. The only remedy I have found is to pull the hub apart and repack the bearings - especially the inner one. Depending on how many times you launch this could be an annual or even more frequent operation. I know, it sucks but I don't know of any other way. If you want to check your bearings, just jack up that side of the trailer and spin the wheel and listen. It will let you know if it needs attention. If is sounds like a kid roller skating down the sidewalk you better pull it apart. Wiggling the wheel is also a good indicator as there should be very little play. I did this the day before a recent Lake Powell trip and one wheel was so noisy that I had to pull an all nighter getting new bearings and repacking before we left. I didn't dare to use my spare hub at the start of a long trip. Fortunately we didn't need it but on longer trips I hate not having a spare hub for my single axle trailer. The bearing buddies do make a nice shiny chrome dust cap however! Anyway, that's my opinion and you're entitled to it! At a minimum, I would suggest every boat owner jack up the trailer and spin the wheels and listen at least annually.
Oil bath hubs eliminate the worry of repacking your hubs. I bought my boat in late 2005, the only reason I've worked on them was to replace the cups, from the factory plastic ones to the aluminum with a sight glass. So long as your oil is clear you're good to go. Milky looking is bad, but I've never seen that on my trailer.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
What Jon says is correct, oil bath is the way to go Jeff.
Check it and as long as oil in hub (not grease) is oil colored you are good to go.
If you don’t want to go oil bath, another option is your new axle is equipped with EZ-Lube spindles.
You can tell an EZ-Lube spindle because the dust cap has a quarter sized rubber plug and zerk fitting is drilled/tapped directly in to end of spindle. The spindle has a drilled channel through center that permits the new grease being pumped in to flow through center of spindle, out of spindle on inboard side of inner bearing, forcing the grease from behind inner bearing through inner bearing outward through outer bearing and out the quarter sized hole in the bearing cap.
You catch this old grease in a paper towel for disposal as you pump new grease in.
If you go this route, and bearings/temps are cold, don’t force grease fast as it could hydraulically push out the axle seal and mess up your set up.
I also agree Bearing Buddies are worthless and provide a false sense of security.
(10-17-2023, 07:32 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I would probably do like you say and keep the new assembly out of the weather so it stays new...  I always assumed the bad bearing issues will show up on long trips... However, that wasn't the case for my current issue, it happened on a 2 mile tow, it squawked on the way to launch and then went to pieces on the ride home... I took it easy and crawled home so I didn't have to fix it on the road without a shoulder, but ended up causing a lot of damage, so I should have figured out how to fix it sooner... But probably would have had bigger issues anyway... I really didn't expect issues with this trailer, it had the bearing buddies and the ability to grease it, so I'd kept it greased, but it was a used boat, and I don't know how it was treated before I got it, and it was in storage for several years before I got it, so likely had old grease and maybe water corrode it while it was just sitting there.  Anyway it will be nice to know it has good bearings and all after I get it fixed this time...  Later J
If your new axle has the same spindle as your old axle you have at least one good spindle you can cut
 off the old axle. It doesn't need to be road worth it is just to hold a fresh hub with bearings and grease, this also provide you with a few lug nuts should that be an issue.
I've been down that road before with throwing bearings. [i]Its not in my interest to abandon my boat on the side of the road where it can be ez pickings for a thief. I have been waved off going down interstate of a literal smoking bearing putting me on the side of the road. I was a mile from the exit I was heading which I made it to driving slow on the shoulder. Being miles away from any facilities it took a tow truck 2 1/2hrs to reach me and approximately 65mi to get my boat home. My spindle was toast, so I ended up purchasing another axle. I bought the axle at TJ Trailer supply on Pennsylvania Ave in Ogden. The axle I bought eliminated the use of a bearing buddy with grease fitting on the end known as the ez lube which I converted to oil bath. [/i]
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(10-17-2023, 09:26 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote:

My $.02 on bearing buddies:

In theory it sounds good to hit a zerk with a grease gun and go fishing, but it actually is not that simple. The bearing buddy only has the ability to grease the outer bearing so the inner bearing never gets any new grease. Furthermore, the inner bearing is also the one that gets water coming in through the seal. No matter how good the seals, double lip, triple lip etc. my experience tells me that a little water always intrudes. There is just no way to keep water out of the hub when you plunge a warm hub into cold water repeatedly. So not only is no new grease getting to the bearing, water is washing out the old grease that you packed in there. All my bearing failures have been the inner one. The only remedy I have found is to pull the hub apart and repack the bearings - especially the inner one. Depending on how many times you launch this could be an annual or even more frequent operation. I know, it sucks but I don't know of any other way. If you want to check your bearings, just jack up that side of the trailer and spin the wheel and listen. It will let you know if it needs attention. If is sounds like a kid roller skating down the sidewalk you better pull it apart. Wiggling the wheel is also a good indicator as there should be very little play. I did this the day before a recent Lake Powell trip and one wheel was so noisy that I had to pull an all nighter getting new bearings and repacking before we left. I didn't dare to use my spare hub at the start of a long trip. Fortunately we didn't need it but on longer trips I hate not having a spare hub for my single axle trailer. The bearing buddies do make a nice shiny chrome dust cap however! Anyway, that's my opinion and you're entitled to it! At a minimum, I would suggest every boat owner jack up the trailer and spin the wheels and listen at least annually.

Good tip on checking the bearings... I too often only do this on big trips, but neglect the short ones, so the annual check would be a good minimum to keep from having the fun on the road... Thanks J

I'll have to check into the oil bath before I buy new and see if it's an option for me... Sounds like it could be a good deal... Thanks for the suggestion I didn't know it was an option on boat trailers... J
There is no such thing as a maintenance free boat trailer hub. Not EZ Lube, not oil bath, not conventional. If you put a warm hub in cold water repeatedly, it will eventually get water in it. My friend has a brand new boat with the oil bath hubs and was told by the salesman that they were maintenance free. He burned up a bearing within 18 months on a brand new factory trailer with oil hubs. You may be able to lengthen your interval on repacking if you cool the hubs before launching but I am too antsy to get fishing to wait on the ramp for the hubs to cool or spray them with a spray bottle of water for a while to cool them. If you want to have a visible option without pulling the hub, then oil bath might be an option. If you only launch a few times a year, then you might make it years without a problem. However I launch basically weekly so 40-50 times a year requires pretty frequent repack - at least annually.
Hi Jeff , hey another note to consider if you get another axle. I had been using the Buddy bearings for a little while  at first I thought it was the way to go . I always check my hubs for heat and slung grease on the wheels , and I would find that the Buddy Bearing Caps were missing . After that happened twice , I had enough of that nonsense of cleaning everything up and replacing the bearings because the Backside of the bearings were not getting the grease. So I decided to replace my axle with one that has the EZ - Lube Spindles with the Grease fitting in the end of the Spindle, The way this works is that when you grease your bearings on this axle , the grease goes through the spindle to the backside of the bearing and then works forward. This way the backside of the bearing gets the grease first , if you look up the EZ-Lube Axles online there is a video of just how this system works. I was convinced. 
Hey Dan, I think that may be the option I've seen on the axels I was looking at... Do you still pack the bearings each year with this system? Depending on usage I'm sure that makes a difference... After doing some reading on line, I'm not sure the oil bearings will work for me, so I'll probably look at the EZ-lube option a little more seriously.. Thanks for the mention of this, it was the direction I'm leaning... Jeff
The best advice I ever got for boat (or water submersion) trailers came from TJ Trailers.  Whenever that trailer's season ends (soft deck fishing, duck hunting, etc.), repack the bearings immediately before storing the trailer for the off season.  DO NOT wait to do this until just before the next season as the water in the bearing WILL destroy the spindle/bearings over time.

I have wet hubs on my fishing boat trailer, and they definitely are the way to go.  However, they may not be available for smaller hub sizes such as those found on smaller fishing or duck hunting boats.  That was the case when I replaced the axle on my duck hunting boat 6 years ago.  This may have changed since then.

Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."