Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Community Pond Opportunities
As part of my work I have been auditing state fish hatcheries, and have a couple tips for folks. They planted brood stock 3-6# trout into Meadow Creek pond in Roy last week, which are fun for the kids or anyone else. They also planted a bunch of 12" Tiger Trout last week at a number of community ponds that include Bountiful Pond and Smith Family Park next to Smith and Edwards in Ogden, those are just the ones I remember but there was more check the stocking records. Get the kids out and put them on some cool fish.
Thanks for posting the information.

The urban pond thing is very costly for the DWR but it's the best way to recruit young anglers.  A lot of them are located so kids can ride their bike and enjoy the fishing. Smile

The community ponds are a great place for us old geezers to try new fly patterns or just satisfy the urge. Tongue
(10-17-2023, 07:39 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: As part of my work I have been auditing state fish hatcheries, and have a couple tips for folks. They planted brood stock 3-6# trout into Meadow Creek pond in Roy last week, which are fun for the kids or anyone else. They also planted a bunch of 12" Tiger Trout last week at a number of community ponds that include Bountiful Pond and Smith Family Park next to Smith and Edwards in Ogden, those are just the ones I remember but there was more check the stocking records. Get the kids out and put them on some cool fish.

Thank you for that information. I actually just went to Farmington Pond this afternoon. I counted close to 20 rods in the water at the peak. Unfortunately, I didn't see anyone catch a fish (me included). I tried a little bit of everything including but not limited to bobber with power eggs, no bobber with power eggs fishing off the bottom (tried a few different colors), rooster tails, and some swim bait. The guy I was talking about said that Tiger Trout can be more finicky.  I saw smaller fish jumping like crazy. It felt like they were mocking me haha.  does anyone have any advice?
We were up North visiting home for fall break and we really got into those tigers at Farmington Pond one evening on our fly rods...they were chunks and colored up! My daughter loved it! We really appreciate the community fisheries down here in the southern part of the state...helps get us through the winters until the lakes unthaw! 

[Image: IMG-20231014-215222-808.jpg]
(10-18-2023, 08:58 PM)richyd4u Wrote: We were up North visiting home for fall break and we really got into those tigers at Farmington Pond one evening on our fly rods...they were chunks and colored up! My daughter loved it! We really appreciate the community fisheries down here in the southern part of the state...helps get us through the winters until the lakes unthaw! 

Thats awesome.  Im going to be taking my son over there this week after work.
Can I ask what fly(s) seemed to be producing?
(10-18-2023, 04:01 AM)holycrepes Wrote:
(10-17-2023, 07:39 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: As part of my work I have been auditing state fish hatcheries, and have a couple tips for folks. They planted brood stock 3-6# trout into Meadow Creek pond in Roy last week, which are fun for the kids or anyone else. They also planted a bunch of 12" Tiger Trout last week at a number of community ponds that include Bountiful Pond and Smith Family Park next to Smith and Edwards in Ogden, those are just the ones I remember but there was more check the stocking records. Get the kids out and put them on some cool fish.

Thank you for that information. I actually just went to Farmington Pond this afternoon. I counted close to 20 rods in the water at the peak. Unfortunately, I didn't see anyone catch a fish (me included). I tried a little bit of everything including but not limited to bobber with power eggs, no bobber with power eggs fishing off the bottom (tried a few different colors), rooster tails, and some swim bait. The guy I was talking about said that Tiger Trout can be more finicky.  I saw smaller fish jumping like crazy. It felt like they were mocking me haha.  does anyone have any advice?

Talked to a young teenager two days ago walking our dog ,he said he got several rainbows ,and  tigers there at Farmington Pond . He was fly fishing ,didn't ask him what he was using . There were several fishing there .
I occasionally go to 21st St Pond in Ogden, or Glassman Pond by McKay Dee hospital, just for casting practice and fresh air. Because I never catch anything at either one.
(10-24-2023, 10:07 PM)rgreenland Wrote:
(10-18-2023, 08:58 PM)richyd4u Wrote: We were up North visiting home for fall break and we really got into those tigers at Farmington Pond one evening on our fly rods...they were chunks and colored up! My daughter loved it! We really appreciate the community fisheries down here in the southern part of the state...helps get us through the winters until the lakes unthaw! 

Thats awesome.  Im going to be taking my son over there this week after work.
Can I ask what fly(s) seemed to be producing?

Sorry, this is probably too late...but they did just dump quite a few bows in there, so that should help with numbers. We were catching the tigers on our standard micro-balanced leeche w/bh hares ears droppers.

I'm waiting for the lakes to unthaw right now!  Ha ha.