Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Evolution of Sportsman's Ethics
The Evolution of Sportsman's Ethics
By the Cowboy-Pirate

Sounds like a pretty heavy subject - right? And, it is for me. I have been pondering my own personal evolution around sportsman's ethics as of late and specifically about the change over time I have made with consumption vs. catch and release.

Left me ruminate, and pontificate a bit on my journey, where I am now and where I think I am headed and why, that fits this forum for a open, frank conversation.

I will start off with - this is my own journey. Not an opinion or judgment about where any of you are or should be. I respect that opinions will vary considerably and they should - that is okay. I am not trying to start an argument. Just a conversation about where I am and maybe where you are on this subject.

I grew up, like many of you in a large family that raised animals and a garden. Beef, Chicken, pork and vegies were on the plate and mostly home grown. We fished and hunted and mostly ate what we caught or killed. We certainly loved hunting and fishing (the sport - the thrill - the family adventures)  but the animals were harvested used as part of our family food budget.

I was also a big time trapper, also (at least in my mind). At one point I ran a trapline in Wyoming for cats that was over 40 miles long.

As I got married and started to raise a family, my job and income improved steadily. I was very fortunate and had a great career in the "workforce". but as my income and lifestyle changed so did my outlook on consumption. I slowly evolved from harvesting animals to catch and release. It was the big thing in the fishing world. Even if was not spoken out loud. How dare you harvest that brown trout. You could almost feel them eyes looking down on you from anglers if you walked out with a stringer fresh off the fly rod. In many minds harvesting fish would wreck the balance and limit opportunities for other fisherman. That mind set was pushed in popular outdoor magazines and books and perhaps even by "trophy" focused fishers. Of course catch and release is a bit harder with a deer tag, but I found myself moving slowly away from hunting and quitting trapping altogether. Never as a open revolt on the harvesting world but as a steady but persistent trend away that I only really realize today as I look back on how drastically different I approach the outdoor sporting world. 

Recently I have been reevaluating my approach. I like to eat fish and I believe it is fine to harvest within the state guidelines without impacting the future fishery. I like Venison and miss Elk steaks. I love ruffed grouse and pheasant. And frankly I miss the simple pleasure of harvesting my food with my Dad and brothers. There is something real that the world that orders a steak from the Texas Roadhouse misses and that is that consumption means harvesting an animal - no let get more real - It means fishing/hunting (or raising), killing, butchering, preparing and eating an animal. You have to either be okay with that or not. There really is no middle option if you consume meat.

I feel my personal pendulum is swinging back.  I will harvest more of my fish. And eat them. I plan to do more hunting and add it back into our menu. I eat meat. I am a omnivore who likes to harvest, who enjoys the sport and the adventure but wants to more fully complete the cycle of life and death.. I accept that and am not ashamed of where I have been or where I am going.

So my question is simple: have you seen a similar journey in your life or have you always been.......

and ya this is the sort of stuff I ponder early in the morning but dont often write Smile
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Lance I thought I replied to this yesterday and either I didn't hit send, or I got censored and my response removed...

When I was in hunters safety eons ago, they told me that hunters go through 3 phases... I think the first was limit out phase, then move into the trophy phase and then they come into the enjoy the experience and go to just enjoy the whole event and don't really care whether they get anything or not... Then they said folks would move back and forth between those and they may not come in any specific order... Now whether I heard that when I was in hunters safety or when I attended it with my daughter I can't remember, but I've found that to be pretty true with me and I have somewhat followed a similar path to you, except mine has been influenced by my family not wanting to eat fish or game. So since I'm the only one eating things I have tended to move towards catch and release and I'm not hunting nearly as much... However, I do love a deer steak and I'll probably go see if I can find one next week just in case, however, I'm not expecting much after last winters die off of deer... I'm sure if I would have had a bunch of boys I'd be a lot more into the hunts now, but with a single daughter that had a bad experience with her first deer at a young age, (it wouldn't die after shooting it several times with a muzzleloader, so she seen it suffering.) Anyway she lost interest in hunting after that... So that I think put my hunting down a few clicks, but I also found that fall fishing was really good, so I've usually been fishing a lot more in the fall, except for this year when I've had too many other things that keep me away from it... But I hope to fix that problem soon...

Anyway your contemplating must be somewhat contagious... I've been politically very conservative and assumed the state was mostly that way, but after reading the comments on the KSL Jordon post I'm starting to think I'm a rare breed in the state anymore... I had no idea the state was turning so liberal... Guess all the growth since the Olympics hasn't helped that much... Well maybe when the old guard dies off the traditions will as well.... Hate to see that happen it's definitely not for the better... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
What I have found with this aging business is that it is more about the getting out than it is in the harvest.  I can be out on the lake or on the mountain and be content just to sit and enjoy.

That being said I am finding it harder and harder to get out.  I'm a comfort loving creature.  I find that both mornings and winters are a lot colder than they used to be.  With my winters being colder ice fishing has lost much of it's appeal whereas prior I all but loved being on the ice.

Perhaps a lot of this decline has to do with it seems to be a lot more work to be out enjoying my obsessions of fishing and hunting than it used to be.

If it were not for the hunting mentor program I don't think I would be out hunting at all.  We have a grand daughter that enjoys hunting and that is where the yearly deer tag goes.  If it were not for her and my cheap nature of (I paid for the Lifetime license so I need to be out) it would be only fish for me I think.

Aw the woes of not being young forever.  That being said I'll end my Oh Poor Me's.
(10-19-2023, 01:05 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: When I was in hunters safety eons ago, they told me that hunters go through 3 phases... 
Jeff, it is 5 stages as shown in this link:  5 stages of a hunter

Most - but not all - of us aged members on BFT are in stage 5.

Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(10-19-2023, 09:46 PM)dubob Wrote:
(10-19-2023, 01:05 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: When I was in hunters safety eons ago, they told me that hunters go through 3 phases... 
Jeff, it is 5 stages as shown in this link:  5 stages of a hunter

Most - but not all - of us aged members on BFT are in stage 5.

Big Grin
Told you it was long time ago, they added two more categories to it since I was there... or else my memory forgot a few... I find that I have gone through those categories as well... Been a fun ride.... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!