Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Tiger Musky at Newton
I fished Newton on Saturday 10/21/23 in my canoe. Tried to stay on the outer weed line and fishing a drop shot rig with a CowboyPirate-inspired pugly bug (?) on top and 2.5” gulp minnow about 8” below that. My drop shot weight was another 16” below the gulp minnow. I caught one largemouth on the pugly bug and three on the gulp minnow. I also caught one bluegill on a worm on a plain white tungsten jig. 

But the thrill of the day was catching my first tiger musky, also on a quivering gulp minnow. Not very big (16-18”) but when it was in the canoe loose with me I had visions of needing emergency care (see photo). Trying to get it balanced on my bump board for a photo, even with one strap around just below the gill plate, it flexed, flipped, and flopped over the side. Kind of like trying to catch a loose high pressure hose (I imagine)! Still a thrill and glad to cross another species off my life list.

[Image: 42092-D96-E268-4-CAB-91-BF-6717-A779-EA9-C.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Congrats. It is where I caught my first musky, too. I love fishing there. I actually have a large version of the pugly bug called a wookie bug (incorporates hair from my german sheperd) that has resulted in some nice catches of larger predators. I dont talk about them as much because they don't hold up as well to the teeth so I am still working on a better design
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
That reminds me of Hugh, my first Tiger which was also at Newton, I was squealing like a little girl and Hugh came over to help me land it. (Through the ice) Well I’d never been around one before, all I knew was you had to watch out for teeth. Hugh had some big heavy duty gloves on and he grabbed it and lipped it like a bass. I took my pictures and Hugh released it and I looked at his arm and he had blood running down it. That fish had punctured his hand in multiple spots and he never even flinched or said ouch. I still feel so bad that he got wounded for me. They are definitely something to be careful with. Congrats on a great day out. Glad to hear there are still a few fish over there. Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!