Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
High Uintas Ice
Finally got out on Saturday 11/18 for my first ice fishing trip of the season. I initially drove up the Mirror Lake highway to the Hayden Peak trailhead. All lakes I observed were capped with ice. I noted a few ice fishers on Lost Lake, Pass Lake, and Butterfly Lake. I didn’t drive up to Trial Lake. There was snow on the sides of the road and on the ice, maybe 6-8 inches at the highest point. 

I ended up at Pass Lake. There was a group in a tent and another group outside further out on the lake. I talked to the outside guys maybe 150’ out from shore and ended up fishing by them. The ice was 3-5”, with hard cloudy snow-free ice in some spots and snow-covered ice in others. Anywhere with snow developed slushy conditions and seemed on the thinner side. 

Water was 5.5-6 feet where we were. The dad and two sons I fished by reported good success on what they called green weighted hooks, tipped with nightcrawler. I had limited success on a green tungsten jig tipped with nightcrawler and butter worm. Things really took off for me when I switched to a small ratfinkee in glow brite lime (see photo) tipped with butter worm. I ended up with 29 total fish iced, including 16 rainbow trout (largest 14.5”), 8 tiger trout (largest 13”), and 4 brook trout (largest 10.5”). After the dad and his sons left I was joined by another father and his adult son. They had gone up looking for open water and only had their long poles. I hooked them up with some ratfinkees and butter worms. They also caught a mixed bag, including a few larger rainbows. 

We were checked by USFS for licenses about the time I was leaving. It had started snowing and the road had 1-2” of snow by the time I was loaded and underway. Great day to be out in the mountains and get the season kicked off.

[Image: 64934-EED-5-DB2-4364-83-A5-B78-CC9-BE0-C9-B.jpg]

[Image: 75151-EB0-FB8-A-4-BC6-9-CDF-456922-B6-B8-DD.jpg]

[Image: DCB03-D2-B-D3-D0-402-A-8310-554-B43227-E98.jpg]

[Image: EAD09-A03-01-EF-40-C4-874-B-3-B4523-D94528.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Great report. And so it begins....
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Thanks for the report. Glad you were able to get out and get your ice season started.
Thanks for the report. I'm planning on heading up this weekend. (If the road stays open). Do they still make you pay an access/parking fee this time of year?
(11-21-2023, 08:20 PM)percheye Wrote: Thanks for the report.  I'm planning on heading up this weekend. (If the road stays open). Do they still make you pay an access/parking fee this time of year?

No, no fees required. The upper pay boxes (Provo River Falls, etc) have been covered for the winter. Friday’s snow might make it tough to access. Check the bald mountain traffic camera and UDOT’s seasonal road closure list before you go.

jack of all tackle, master of none