Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Friday weather window
Decided with the good weather window on Friday, to make a run south near Salina. Started at a lake (Farnsworth) off the Salina Creek road that has been decent for rainbows in the past. Since I took the car instead of the truck, it was a short hike to the lake - the last 500 yards needs high clearance - accessed from the Harves Lake turn out. Unfortunately the lake was capped with about a half inch of ice. That one needs about another week or two for safe ice. Decided, rather than drive on up over the mountain to Fish Lake, to drive back down the road toward Salina, to access another lake - this one has to remain nameless. It's about a half mile hike through the aspens on a good trail. This lake was still open and usually holds nice sized cutthroat and brook trout. I could see nice brook trout cruising the shore line but went through my entire fly box. Only got one strike and a few follows. Time of day probably accounted for the lack of success. By the time I got there it was almost noon. Fished till about 3 before heading home. 

Some would be disappointed in my lack of catching, but I had a great time. It was absolutely beautiful. I only encountered 1 other fisherman, several deer and a great solo hike. The brook trout are spawning so they are fun to see all colored as well.
Nice report, sounded like a great day... Wont be able to do that much longer with the snow conditions coming in... Thanks for sharing the trip... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I used to fish Farnesworth and Hamilton while scouting for archery season. It's such a beautiful area. I hear that Gooseberry road is paved all the way to Fishlake now. Is that true?
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Yeah it’s paved all the way over to Fishlake. I really considered heading over to see if there were still kokanee in Twin Creek. That will have to wait for another day.