Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homemade Jaw Jacker
For you hard deckers, I just saw a clever homemade Jacker on another website. Hope this uploads... 

[Image: Jacker.webp]

The trigger is the clever bit. Coat hanger wire or something similar.
I made a half dozen a few years ago out of pvc and used the wire coat hangers for the triggers. It works very well. It just takes a little fiddling with the right angle of the bit that goes in the pole eye before taking it out and fishing with it.

Mike
Thanks Rocky that's a slick idea, appreciate you passing it on...
Mike, what did your PVC version look like? I don't really need more jackers since I don't use them that much anymore, but I like to build things myself and tune them into working mode... It looks like you build these to match your rod instead of needing a rod that matches your jacker... That would be cool so you could build one for your longer rods... Thanks guys... Later jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
We've made several homemade PVC ones ourselves. They do work well. Ours are adjustable for different rod lengths. Hopefully these pics explain the how-to OK. they're footprint is wide enough to not fall down the ice hole very easily, They can also come apart for bucket storing/transporting them with the ice ire rods. 

[Image: 20181125-135708.jpg]

[Image: 20181125-135742.jpg]

[Image: 20181125-135929.jpg]

[Image: 20181125-140039.jpg]

[Image: 20181125-140146.jpg]

[Image: 20181125-140220.jpg]

[Image: 20181125-141420.jpg]

[Image: 20181125-141518.jpg]

[Image: 20181125-141612.jpg]
I made and tried some JJs one winter.  I use rods longer than most so mine were two part...the rod part and the trigger part.  See pics.  Easily adaptable to rods of any length...and whatever tension you want on the rod.  I just decided I usually did better holding one rod and working it right. 
[Image: STABILIZER.jpg] [Image: LOW-RIDER.jpg] [Image: LOW-RIDER-TRIGGER-2.jpg] [Image: RISER-TRIGGER-PREFIT.jpg]

Hey Jeff,

The ones I made were for ice rods up to about 3 feet or so.  Very simple, but work well using the fishing poles stored energy.  My ice poles tend to be a little on the stiff side since I use them on Bear Lake and lakes with bigger fish.

Mike
[Image: 20231127-193343.jpg]

[Image: 20231127-193348.jpg]
Thanks Jill, Pat and Mike, lots for me to look at and work with if I get some extra time to putter... Thank you very much... Jeff
[Image: 20231209-111031.jpg]

[Image: 20231209-111108.jpg]

I love it. 

My best design used that style trigger essentially.  It attaches straight to my bucket with an adjustable string.

Imagine that same set up, but instead of a platform and rod holder, the bucket just has a hole drilled under the rim to accept the rod butt.  Then the string holding the wire trigger goes through a small hole in the bottom.
Added pictures
Wow, interesting design, thanks for sharing it with us.
(12-12-2023, 02:43 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, interesting design, thanks for sharing it with us.

My pleasure.  I figure I'm probably always going to have a bucket with me.........
How well do these work compared to the jaw jackers? I bent up some hangers the other day, now I need to put one together and see if I can tune it to work well... Last couple years I've kind of went away from the JJ's, but last year I only caught one fish with my JJ, but it was the biggest bass in the ice challenge last winter... So I'll probably keep one out just in case... Funny how some years they work well and other years not so much... Wonder what the difference is??? Later Jeff
(12-14-2023, 01:55 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: How well do these work compared to the jaw jackers? I bent up some hangers the other day, now I need to put one together and see if I can tune it to work well... Last couple years I've kind of went away from the JJ's, but last year I only caught one fish with my JJ, but it was the biggest bass in the ice challenge last winter... So I'll probably keep one out just in case... Funny how some years they work well and other years not so much... Wonder what the difference is???  Later Jeff

As far as I am concerned, the real issue with any of them, even commercial models, is getting the depth exactly right, and setting the sensitivity to match the fish, the bite, and various lures.  I made and used a bunch of models similar to what has been posted here, before I thought of the bucket-style, too.  They all work fine. 

One reason I like the bucket model is that the sensitivity of the trigger is easily adjusted by changing the length of the string holding the trigger bit.  Also allows for adjustments to accommodate longer or shorter poles, etc.....

But, honestly, I cant imagine a "real" Jaw-Jacker working BETTER.......although maybe they are a little easier to use?  Less fussy?  Like TD said, I don't always (maybe rarely) find occasion or conditions where I benefit from having one, anyway.  I have had a few times they were incredibly productive to have off to the side doing the dead-stick work, but if the bite is on, no need.
I agree with you on, I only use them as my second pole option... I always like my prime rod in my hand... There are a few times where I'd rate the JJ's as necessary... It used to seem like the trout in Henry's used to be a one peck location. If you were not paying attention and on it, you'd get the one hit and miss it... Especially on slow days where it's a long time between hits and in shallower water, where you don't even see the fish on your graph before they have hit.. Up there I learned that the JJ's are very worth while having at least one out so if I'm off my game and the fish are finicky then the JJ's will hook you a fish so you don't get skunked... I also mostly prefer using them in shallower water, if it gets over 30' deep they don't seem to set the hook very well, that's probably where the home made units for longer rods come into their own... Thanks for your thoughts... Later... J
[Image: 20231216-141553.jpg]

Sorry to hijack, b
[Image: 20231216-140930.jpg]

ut here is one more rod holder I like. Not perfected yet, this was the 2nd prototype.  it needs a very flat surface to rock properly, but it can jig for you in a breeze.
That’s pretty cool. Fits in the post pretty well I think. Later J
I have had limited success with JJs that are just stationary; however, I've done better with Jigging Jaw Jackers.