Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's
I got up there today, finally. I'm usually the first one on the ice up there. But I'm 70 now and just don't like to go by myself anymore. 5 or 6 inches ice and kind of slow, but I hooked into two different monsters. I did get a couple 3 1/2 pound cuts up through the ice. But the first big one ( 10 lbs or so) I got on a regular pole with spinning reel. I could almost control it. I had it near the hole for around five minutes, it seemed much longer. I just couldn't get his head starting up the hole.  Lol. But it finally broke off at the not. But the second big one was on a green noodle rod. I got a good look at it at first. The tail fin was 6 inches wide. it looked to be 3 feet long. But that noodle i just couldn't control it. Then it took off and went over and snagged another pole 8 feet away. My friend Dan barely grabbed it in time as it was going through the ice. Then it snagged another pole and again Dan saved it right before it went under. So Dan thought he still had a different fish on that other rod. And he reeling in what he thought was another fish, broke my line and his lure popped right up not even touched by a bite. I've fished it for many years, and those were the biggest fish I have ever had on a line at Henry's.
(12-06-2023, 04:29 AM)fast_randy Wrote: I got up there today, finally. I'm usually the first one on the ice up there. But I'm 70 now and just don't like to go by myself anymore. 5 or 6 inches ice and kind of slow, but I hooked into two different monsters. I did get a couple 3 1/2 pound cuts up through the ice. But the first big one ( 10 lbs or so) I got on a regular pole with spinning reel. I could almost control it. I had it near the hole for around five minutes, it seemed much longer. I just couldn't get his head starting up the hole.  Lol. But it finally broke off at the not. But the second big one was on a green noodle rod. I got a good look at it at first. The tail fin was 6 inches wide. it looked to be 3 feet long. But that noodle i just couldn't control it. Then it took off and went over and snagged another pole 8 feet away. My friend Dan barely grabbed it in time as it was going through the ice. Then it snagged another pole and again Dan saved it right before it went under. So Dan thought he still had a different fish on that other rod. And he reeling in what he thought was another fish, broke my line and his lure popped right up not even touched by a bite. I've fished it for many years, and those were the biggest fish I have ever had on a line at Henry's.

Congrats Randy, even though you didn't get those big fish threw the holes, it must have been way exciting to even hook them, sometimes the fight is just as exciting as having the fish in hard. Glad you were able to get up there and enjoy a day on the ice.
(12-06-2023, 04:29 AM)fast_randy Wrote: I got up there today, finally. I'm usually the first one on the ice up there. But I'm 70 now and just don't like to go by myself anymore. 5 or 6 inches ice and kind of slow, but I hooked into two different monsters. I did get a couple 3 1/2 pound cuts up through the ice. But the first big one ( 10 lbs or so) I got on a regular pole with spinning reel. I could almost control it. I had it near the hole for around five minutes, it seemed much longer. I just couldn't get his head starting up the hole.  Lol. But it finally broke off at the not. But the second big one was on a green noodle rod. I got a good look at it at first. The tail fin was 6 inches wide. it looked to be 3 feet long. But that noodle i just couldn't control it. Then it took off and went over and snagged another pole 8 feet away. My friend Dan barely grabbed it in time as it was going through the ice. Then it snagged another pole and again Dan saved it right before it went under. So Dan thought he still had a different fish on that other rod. And he reeling in what he thought was another fish, broke my line and his lure popped right up not even touched by a bite. I've fished it for many years, and those were the biggest fish I have ever had on a line at Henry's.

Nice report! Always fun to be on the ice at Henrys!
Me and Dan and Obifishkenobi fished it Thursday. Staley Springs area. We all got fish. Shawn got several, his biggest A 5 1/2 pound cutthroat. I got three, my biggest, A four pound cut. I did get a small brookie, and Dan got a three pound cut.
(12-23-2023, 02:06 AM)fast_randy Wrote: Me and Dan and Obifishkenobi fished it Thursday. Staley Springs area. We all got fish. Shawn got several, his biggest A 5 1/2 pound cutthroat. I got three, my biggest, A four pound cut. I did get a small brookie, and Dan got a three pound cut.

Nice to hear you are still out and after them!