Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Tent
Well a couple months ago, I got an incredible deal on a Sportsmen's Warehouse 4 person Ice Fishing Tent. The only catch, it had been a display model and they had lost the box, all the anchors, and the carrying bag. I curious if anyone has any good ideas for what to get as a replacement carrying bag so that it's not partially open and loose in the sled when going out. I was thinking of getting a canopy storage bag but thought I'd see what people on here said. I imagine there have been a few members that have needed to replace ice fishing tent bags and thought they might be able to give me some advice.
I don't have any advice, other than if you want to go to the expense the canvas shops will make a bag for you. With every ice-fishing tent that I have owned, I have complained that they didn't make the carrying bag a few inches larger. It is a pain to try to force a tent into a bag, that the tent barely fits in, with numb fingers.
I was going to suggest what Kent said. Have Kirkhams or other similar canvas shop make you a bag. I had Kirkhams attached some heavier duty straps to the base skirt of my shelter when I noticed the original straps were starting to rip though. The did a great job. I also have the frustration of trying to shove a half-frozen ice shelter into a bag that needs to be a couple inches larger. I've thought of getting just a piece of canvas large enough to roll my shelter up in like a burrito and use bungee cords to hold it together. I'm also considering buying a sled cover and use that as a shelter storage bag. It's like a fitted sheet with the elastic edge and should make it easy to get things wrapped up fast. This would be especially handy on those days fishing after sunset when things get really cold.
You're just looking for a bag right? Anyone that owns a sewing machine can make that with material from Jo-Anns or Wal-mart. Cut to length, fold over lengthwise, sew the seam, twice, and fold inside out.
(12-09-2023, 04:27 PM)RollWithiT Wrote: Well a couple months ago, I got an incredible deal on a Sportsmen's Warehouse 4 person Ice Fishing Tent. The only catch, it had been a display model and they had lost the box, all the anchors, and the carrying bag. I curious if anyone has any good ideas for what to get as a replacement carrying bag so that it's not partially open and loose in the sled when going out. I was thinking of getting a canopy storage bag but thought I'd see what people on here said. I imagine there have been a few members that have needed to replace ice fishing tent bags and thought they might be able to give me some advice.
You might want to check out Amazon.  They have several that might work for well under $40.  You won't find a custom shop that will do it for that kind of money.  Also, if you ask SW who makes their shelters, you could contact that company about getting a bag.  Eskimo lists there carry bag at about $44 plus shipping.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I used canvas from a cooler cover and just used my Brother home sewing machine to make a tube . Looped at opening with rope pull close. Use upholstery thread from Warm rt and double up on the stitching.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I like Ron's "burrito" idea - maybe use a tarp and bungee cords? I used to do that with my longer ice rods that wouldn't fit in my shorter bag.

If you do order one on line, as others have suggested, get it a bit bigger than it measures dry. Also, velcro straps are useful in compressing the tent down to slip in the bag. Get the kind with a D-ring so you can cinch it down before securing the velcro. Need at least three.

Good luck with it!

jack of all tackle, master of none
(12-10-2023, 11:19 PM)joatmon Wrote: I like Ron's "burrito" idea - maybe use a tarp and bungee cords? I used to do that with my longer ice rods that wouldn't fit in my shorter bag.

If you do order one on line, as others have suggested, get it a bit bigger than it measures dry. Also, velcro straps are useful in compressing the tent down to slip in the bag. Get the kind with a D-ring so you can cinch it down before securing the velcro. Need at least three.

Good luck with it!

You could use a big heavy duty duffle bag. If you have extra room add some coats ect.
If it's an Eskimo, I'd spend the $44 for a name brand bag. It fits perfectly and the backpack straps are very helpful for packing it even for short distances.
Hey thanks everyone for the suggestions and ideas! It is very much appreciated! I'll let you guys know what I end up doing and how it works out.