Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sled modifications
It's almost time to hit the ice again! I was trying to think of a few sled modifications for more storage. Seems like I'm always taking more gear out. What are some key sled modifications you'd recommend? I was thinking of maybe doing a hinged deck/lid so my tent could go on top and my other gear underneath. I also don't have a machine to pull my sled so it's all dragging for me.
A smitty sled. Put the sled up on skis. It makes 100lbs of gear feel like 20lbs. Best thing I've spent time on outside of actually ice fishing.
(12-09-2023, 05:13 PM)IceGuy97 Wrote: It's almost time to hit the ice again! I was trying to think of a few sled modifications for more storage. Seems like I'm always taking more gear out. What are some key sled modifications you'd recommend? I was thinking of maybe doing a hinged deck/lid so my tent could go on top and my other gear underneath. I also don't have a machine to pull my sled so it's all dragging for me.
I would suggest that your first mod should be a set of raised skies or a 'Smitty' sled to carry it and all the extra weight.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(12-09-2023, 05:13 PM)IceGuy97 Wrote: It's almost time to hit the ice again! I was trying to think of a few sled modifications for more storage. Seems like I'm always taking more gear out. What are some key sled modifications you'd recommend? I was thinking of maybe doing a hinged deck/lid so my tent could go on top and my other gear underneath. I also don't have a machine to pull my sled so it's all dragging for me.

Smitty setup for sure but adding weight to one sled may cause more drag than pulling two sleds. Skis on second sled as well.
Good fishing to all.   Hue