Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 mussel aware test
For those that are boaters here is the test for this year, sure took them long enough:
https://dwrapps.utah.gov/wex/dbconnectio...nbr=513659
All done here

HAPPY NEW YEAR
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Yeah, I found it this morning too. All done.
Did it say anything about being able to or not being able to use your boat before getting the boat sticker?
(01-01-2024, 05:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Did it say anything about being able to or not being able to use your boat before getting the boat sticker?

Well the 2nd document that you get after paying for the sticker says you should “retain as proof of payment and fulfillment of self certification requirements allowing you to legally boat in Utah”. It also says on it that is required to be displayed on the dash of the launch vehicle. So we have 2 documents that need to be displayed as I understand it.

(01-01-2024, 05:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Did it say anything about being able to or not being able to use your boat before getting the boat sticker?

Well the 2nd document that you get after paying for the sticker says you should “retain as proof of payment and fulfillment of self certification requirements allowing you to legally boat in Utah”. It also says on it that is required to be displayed on the dash of the launch vehicle. So we have 2 documents that need to be displayed as I understand it.
(01-01-2024, 06:17 PM)2knots Wrote:

That is what I was thinking but can you wait until your boat license is due before displaying the sticker? From what I understood, you have to have the test certificate number to even license your boat this year. If that is the case maybe we are not required to have the sticker until the boat license is due Undecided If that isn't the case, hopefully they will allow us to just show that we paid for the sticker, if going out before the sticker comes in the mail.
This is getting a little ridiculous. Gotta display this paper and that paper with the sticker, and the license to fish with 3 Hail Marys and 4 Our Fathers before lines the water. Oh, and don't forget your required indulgences.
My boat reg expired the end of November. I decided not to renew it until after 1/1 because it wasn't clear if I'd have to pay twice just for December. Might wait until my birthday in Feb, just to make it easy to remember. I won't be boating before then anyway.
Got mine all done today.
(01-01-2024, 06:32 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-01-2024, 06:17 PM)2knots Wrote:

That is what I was thinking but can you wait until your boat license is due before displaying the sticker? From what I understood, you have to have the test certificate number to even license your boat this year. If that is the case maybe we are not required to have the sticker until the boat license is due Undecided  If that isn't the case, hopefully they will allow us to just show that we paid for the sticker, if going out before the sticker comes in the mail.

I’m not sure that it’s tied to the vehicle registration at all, if that was the case why wouldn’t my AIS sticker that I had to get in August be good until my registration comes due again.
Curt,

I'm not a lawyer and have been wrong before, so take this with a grain of salt.  The decal is issued for the Calander year (01/01/2024 - 12/31/2024).  You will need to take and pass the AIS course, purchase the decal, print the coarse completion certificate, buy the decal, register the decal to your boat, and print the AIS Vessel Registration certificate to use your boat in 2024.  The AIS Vessel Registration certificate AND the Decontamination Certificate must BOTH be displayed on the dash of the launch vehicle before and after you get the decal for your boat.  It was explained to me by the Parks & Rec HQ that this requirement allows an LEO to determine from the launch parking lot that all launched vessels have completed the course and purchased the decal without ever having to see the actual decal on your boat if it is out on the lake somewhere.

You can't print the AIS Vessel Registration certificate unless or until you pass the course and buy the decal.  You have to complete the course and buy the AIS decal for 2024 before you can launch your vessel in 2024.  But hey - feel free to call the Parks & Rec and ask them yourself.

Are we having fun yet?  Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Dumb question: are you required to buy the sticker if you just use a float tube or non-powered kayak? I understand the part about "if it floats it's a boat" with regard to the course/certificate but was unsure about needing to buy the sticker for a non-registered "boat." Thanks
(01-01-2024, 08:01 PM)dubob Wrote: Curt,

I'm not a lawyer and have been wrong before, so take this with a grain of salt.  The decal is issued for the Calander year (01/01/2024 - 12/31/2024).  You will need to take and pass the AIS course, purchase the decal, print the coarse completion certificate, buy the decal, register the decal to your boat, and print the AIS Vessel Registration certificate to use your boat in 2024.  The AIS Vessel Registration certificate AND the Decontamination Certificate must BOTH be displayed on the dash of the launch vehicle before and after you get the decal for your boat.  It was explained to me by the Parks & Rec HQ that this requirement allows an LEO to determine from the launch parking lot that all launched vessels have completed the course and purchased the decal without ever having to see the actual decal on your boat if it is out on the lake somewhere.

You can't print the AIS Vessel Registration certificate unless or until you pass the course and buy the decal.  You have to complete the course and buy the AIS decal for 2024 before you can launch your vessel in 2024.  But hey - feel free to call the Parks & Rec and ask them yourself.

Are we having fun yet?  Big Grin

As far as I know the Parks and Rec is not open on Jan 1 but I didn't try to contact them as I assumed they were closed today.  I can easily print the AIS Cert and the receipt for the sticker, my question is that good enough, if I go out tomorrow or will I need to wait until I receive the sticker? IMO it should be good enough because there are never any Parks folks out on the water this time of the year to check the sticker on your boat.
So I took the course paid for the registration of the boat no ow do I have to pay for a sticker or was that what the 20 bucks was for ?
(01-01-2024, 08:11 PM)DanzTuna Wrote: Dumb question: are you required to buy the sticker if you just use a float tube or non-powered kayak?  I understand the part about "if it floats it's a boat" with regard to the course/certificate but was unsure about needing to buy the sticker for a non-registered "boat." Thanks

As far as the link shows, no, it says you don't on non-motorized vessels but just do a self-certify and make copy's to have and put on your dash just to be safe. You still have to do all the steps so those hitch hiking bums don't catch a ride. This site seems to answer question.

Is your boat registered in Utah? | Aquatic Invasive Species in Utah

https://stdofthesea.utah.gov/ais/resident-boater/
(01-01-2024, 10:09 PM)Bubman1 Wrote: So I took the course paid for the registration of the boat no ow do I have to pay for a sticker or was that what the 20 bucks was for ?

Yes, that is what the $20 was for and now you don't have to pay the $10 they were charging when you license your boat.
The site link explains this and if you click on the Red high lights quotes on the site, take you over to the other stuff-form's etc. Not sure if this has changed as of Jan. 1-2024

Site states.
I registered my boat with the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles prior to June 30, 2023. Do I still need to take the course and pay an additional AIS enrollment fee in order to launch my vessel after July 1?
No, you will not have to pay an additional $20 fee if you have already paid for AIS vessel enrollment through the DMV prior to June 30.

However, you are required to take the mandatory mussel-aware boater course and show the following proof of completion:

Complete the mussel-aware boater course and print out your certification for the year (without enrolling your boat in the AIS vessel enrollment program). A printed copy of the mussel-aware boater course completion certificate must be displayed on your vehicle windshield or dash when launching a boat at Utah’s reservoirs.
On your vessel, keep another copy of your mussel-aware boater course certificate — or save an image of the course completion certificate on your mobile device.
Note: You will not receive a 2023 AIS decal; you are legal to launch without one as long as you have proof that your boat registration was completed prior to June 30, 2023.
(01-02-2024, 05:33 AM)AJBwheat1222 Wrote: The site link explains this and if you click on the Red high lights quotes on the site, take you over to the other stuff-form's etc. Not sure if this has changed as of Jan. 1-2024

Site states.
I registered my boat with the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles prior to June 30, 2023. Do I still need to take the course and pay an additional AIS enrollment fee in order to launch my vessel after July 1?
No, you will not have to pay an additional $20 fee if you have already paid for AIS vessel enrollment through the DMV prior to June 30.

However, you are required to take the mandatory mussel-aware boater course and show the following proof of completion:

Complete the mussel-aware boater course and print out your certification for the year (without enrolling your boat in the AIS vessel enrollment program). A printed copy of the mussel-aware boater course completion certificate must be displayed on your vehicle windshield or dash when launching a boat at Utah’s reservoirs.
On your vessel, keep another copy of your mussel-aware boater course certificate — or save an image of the course completion certificate on your mobile device.
Note: You will not receive a 2023 AIS decal; you are legal to launch without one as long as you have proof that your boat registration was completed prior to June 30, 2023.
That was all true last year but has changed as of Jan 1, 24. After taking the AIS test yesterday, in addition to the test, you now have to register your boats bow numbers and pay the $20 fee. It use to be a $10 fee added onto your boat being licensed, that has now gone away but you now pay $20. You also need to print a copy of the decal receipt, in addition to the AIS certificate and display both on your dash of your tow vehicle. The last part is you will receive the decal in the mail that will go on your boat.
I have to agree with a prior sentiment that this is getting ridiculous.

You are now required to display TWO AIS documents on your dash, as well as an additional document, depending on where you are, in the form of an entry fee slip. Not to mention another ugly sticker on your boat.

Anything else they'd like us to do? Send out smoke signals? Release white doves?
As to the start of Jan 1, 2024 do I need to get the AIS sticker now or when I have to Re-register my Boat?
So if I registered my boat with the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles prior to June 30, 2023 already paid the $20 fee and have a copy of the 2024 mussel-aware boater course certification on my dash and on my boat I should not need to do a redo just to get a sticker sooner, until I need to re-reregister my boat again. That is how it states and if not so, they need to update the site.

I have not try to do a 2024 mussel-aware boater course certification yet, so I'm not sure if they are making you get the sticker now or if you Re-register a Boat, also what about a non-motorized vessels? can you certification for that without having to pay the $20 or can you just do the old way like it states? I will try and do the a 2024 mussel-aware certification soon and see if they let me print a copy without having to pay until I Re-register my Boat. If not, I should be able to use the 2023 certification until I have to Re-register my Boat and then pay the fees and get another sticker for my boat. Why do I feel like I have to slide a credit card through my b--t crack and pay extra $ all the time.