Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Pineview, Rockport, Strawberry Ice
Can anyone give reports on the current ice conditions at either Pineview, Rockport or Strawberry?  I know that they were safe last weekend and that Strawberry had crust and slush.  I am hopping for one last local outing (Pineview or Rockport) with my 3 yr old grandson, before I start heading to Strawberry.  I am not too worried about the catching, more about ice safety and edges.  
Thanks!
(02-23-2024, 07:39 PM)icerman Wrote: Can anyone give reports on the current ice conditions at either Pineview, Rockport or Strawberry?  I know that they were safe last weekend and that Strawberry had crust and slush.  I am hopping for one last local outing (Pineview or Rockport) with my 3 yr old grandson, before I start heading to Strawberry.  I am not too worried about the catching, more about ice safety and edges.  
Thanks!

I hope this isn't too late, but I fished Rockport yesterday.  The ice was 7 inches thick and solid but the edges were very poor.  The storms early in the week might have raised the water level some and the warm temps were wreaking havoc on the edges also.  Got a little wet coming back in midday.  Today hasn't helped the edges, I'm sure.  The entire west side looked similar to where I fished.  Maybe with a plank, you might be able to do it but I would skip Rockport personally.
Thank you so much for your report on Rockport.  I read it just before leaving to fish, I think I will give Pineview a try for some perch!  I'll give a report on the edges and conditions when I return!
Fished Pineview this morning.  Fished the Narrows.  18 degrees upon arrival.  Edges were good as was the ice.   Difficult to tell how thick the clear ice was.  Plenty of evidence of prior melting at surface, but the edges were solid when we left at 10 a.m.  Focus was on Perch.  Not necessarily fast catching, but went home with about 23.  Fished in 24 FOW.  Did not talk to anyone else to see how they did.