Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standings - 2023/2024 Ice Fishing Challenge
Happy New Year - It's been a very slow start to the ice season. Hopefully we'll get more participants to the Ice Challenge now more lakes have ice. Attached are the current standings and log of fish posted. As expected, joatmon (Brett) is doing well and getting out on a variety of lakes and adding to his species list. Happy fishing, Ron

Question to Ron, et all, we have been allowing fishing from a dock to count as ice fishing. I was fishing from a boat the other day that was ice bound, would that count as ice fish? I was using my ice rods, but I was in a boat, but fishing through a hole in the ice? Just curious, I didn't take any photos of fish with the label, but I was curious if they would have been acceptable? Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
If you accessed the location in a boat and fished from the boat through the ice, I lean toward no. If the boat was frozen in the ice and not movable, then I would say yes. Just my thoughts. What are your thoughts, Jeff?
I kind of think that you should need to be standing on the ice myself, but that cuts out the docks... I agree, it shouldn't count in the boat, it just didn't seem much different than fishing from the docks ... but on an ice deprived year like this one, we may need to allow some flexibility... rumor has it we may be able to get on Willard sometime soon, so won't need to use the boat... Thanks for addressing it... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
It's been allowed for the last two or three years.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(01-04-2024, 10:23 PM)catchinon Wrote: It's been allowed for the last two or three years.

Fishing off the docks through the ice has been allowed for as long as there has been a BFT Utah Ice Fishing Challenge. This goes back at least 16 years to 2007. Crazy we have been doing this challenge this long...
Here is our January 15th update... I need to get out and get after it.

Attached Files Image(s)

January 23, 2024 Update...

Feb. 6 update

Attached Files Image(s)

March 15, 2024 Final standings of the Ice Challenge. Congratulations Brett! I expect we'll see more involvement and action with the Summer Challenge.

Attached Files Image(s)