Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview and/or Rockport updates
Anyone been to Pineview or Rockport recently?  Any reports on ice safety?  Edges?  Catching?  Hoping to get out this weekend, would prefer to go closer than Strawberry.  I sure would appreciate any recent reports!

Thanks
(02-09-2024, 06:15 AM)icerman Wrote: Anyone been to Pineview or Rockport recently?  Any reports on ice safety?  Edges?  Catching?  Hoping to get out this weekend, would prefer to go closer than Strawberry.  I sure would appreciate any recent reports!

Thanks

I wouldn’t trust any ice right now besides the ice at upper elevation. Even then it’s questionable cause people have fallen through at Strawberry. I fell through at rockport a few weeks ago, and that ice was 4 inches thick. Warm temperatures are making ice layers very weak. We did not get the arctic air we were hoping for. If you go wear a floating pair of bibs and a pair of spikes around your neck. 
Gabe
(02-09-2024, 02:31 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(02-09-2024, 06:15 AM)icerman Wrote: Anyone been to Pineview or Rockport recently?  Any reports on ice safety?  Edges?  Catching?  Hoping to get out this weekend, would prefer to go closer than Strawberry.  I sure would appreciate any recent reports!

Thanks

I wouldn’t trust any ice right now besides the ice at upper elevation. Even then it’s questionable cause people have fallen through at Strawberry. I fell through at rockport a few weeks ago, and that ice was 4 inches thick. Warm temperatures are making ice layers very weak. We did not get the arctic air we were hoping for. If you go wear a floating pair of bibs and a pair of spikes around your neck. 
Gabe

Thank you Gabe!  Because of your experience at falling through at Rockport and introducing me to floating bibs, I just got my pair of Striker predator lite bibs in yesterday!!!  I generally do not wear bibs, BUT, because of your experience and the strange ice this year, I figured they are worth it!  Thank you so much for alerting me to something that I never knew existed!

I went to Pineview last Sat. and the ice in the Narrows was good, much better that Rockport the week prior!  Not sure how the warmth and rain affected the Pineview ice for this weekend though!
I got up early today with hopes of fishing Rockport. Those hopes are now dashed. At the last bathroom pullout, you’ll either need waders or a 10’ plank. Edges were very soft and I went through in my waders out to about 8’ from shore. Once past the edges, there was 3-4” of cloudy ice and only about 1-1.5” of clear. The cloudy ice doesn’t seem to be quite as strong as before the warm spell. I went out about 30 yds with no changes and my internal compass said to turn around.

Went over to the dam. Three people are at about the midpoint of the dam and out 60 yds. None have fallen through yet. I went down and checked the ice…and it is better, but still only about 2-2.5” of clear over the same 3-4” of cloudy. Still a bit too iffy for me.

Wish I’d brought my binos to see if they were catching anything. Lacking that, guess I’ll head home and take a nap…
Thanks for the Rockport update MWSCOTT.  Looks like I won't be heading out to Echo nor Rockport tomorrow.  Any reports on ice safety at Pineview?
Went to Pineview this morning (2/10).  Finder lighted up with fish that would not bite.  Caught 2 small crappie.  Moved to 24 FOW and caught several perch, not a stellar bite, but enough for fish taco's.  Ice seemed really good, edges were great.  Not that many people out on the ice.  Spoke with one group that caught 40 crappie, most were small.  Another caught several crappie but only a few moderate sized ones.  Nice, cold morning!  Great to be out.  Tried my new flotation bibs bit did not need them to keep me afloat (thank goodness!)
(02-10-2024, 06:45 PM)icerman Wrote: Went to Pineview this morning (2/10).  Finder lighted up with fish that would not bite.  Caught 2 small crappie.  Moved to 24 FOW and caught several perch, not a stellar bite, but enough for fish taco's.  Ice seemed really good, edges were great.  Not that many people out on the ice.  Spoke with one group that caught 40 crappie, most were small.  Another caught several crappie but only a few moderate sized ones.  Nice, cold morning!  Great to be out.  Tried my new flotation bibs bit did not need them to keep me afloat (thank goodness!)

Thanks for the report, pretty amazing that PV continues to have good ice while RP and Echo have gone down hill. How early did you get there this morning? How big on average were the perch?
Got there at 7 a.m. (a little late for the crappie), left at 10:30 a.m..  Crappie were about 6".  Perch were 7"-8", a few 9"ers.  Several dinks this trip.  Last week, no dinks!
(02-10-2024, 06:45 PM)icerman Wrote: Tried my new flotation bibs bit did not need them to keep me afloat (thank goodness!)

When you said you tried your new bibs, did that mean you got a little wet getting off the ice?