Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport ice and action Mon. 2-12
With recent very cold nites in our area, I re-thought about another trip to RP..after scouting it Sunday afternoon and finding about 10 people scattered around out there, I was up for another attempt in the morning..first ones there, but edges were solid..still, we wore PFDs, I had another throwable handy, I led out with my ice probe, and we followed sled tracks to my starting spot..very cold, so after 'seeing' fish on the bottom, we set tents..ice still not great, but slightly better than when MWScott and I were here a couple weeks ago and had done well..today, about 2" solid, with 4 cloudy on top, and 1" fairly fresh snow on top..fishing by about 0800, action was good and pretty consistent 'til 1130, then very slow for an hour, then another 15 min. good bite to end our day by 1:00...lots of 'swing and a miss', but plenty iced..most kept ave. 8 to 9", with a couple at 9.5...red spikes worked, 1/2 mealworm worked, and of course the best again was fresh eyeball or small cut pc of pre-soaked perch meat, in crawfish oil...various small jigs, like red/white Demon, 'wonderbread' pattern, and red/chartreus all worked..I don't do or need a limit anymore, but way plenty came home for my manual filleting..takes time, but I don't mind..Labor of Love, just like cleaning ducks.....I think it was TD that suggested it a while back, so while cleaning, I'll cut about 10 small pcs from underbelly, make a tiny container out of plastic grocery bag material, about 6"x6", put the pcs on it, drip/squeeze the liquid scent on them, then twist tie the little baggie...I let it soak for a couple hours, then stick in freezer for next trip, thawing the nite before..works great..tks TD..Don't know if I'll try here once more, but if I/we do, we'll have all that safety gear again, esp. PFDs, rope, etc...
Glad you were able to get out there and have some good success Joe, with only 2" of solid ice I think I'll pass. Any problems getting off the ice? My guess is the water level is rising there and the edges aren't the best but I glad you were able to get up there for another try at it.
No problems on or off this day, as it was still below freezing when we left...we talked to  a guy up by trucks when we left, he was fishing about 100 yds so. of us, and he kept his limit of 50...I did that once at Starvation many years ago, and once at Pineview also years ago...just way too many for me...but they are mighty fine table fare, as many of my recipients would agree...
(02-14-2024, 11:41 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: No problems on or off this day, as it was still below freezing when we left...we talked to  a guy up by trucks when we left, he was fishing about 100 yds so. of us, and he kept his limit of 50...I did that once at Starvation many years ago, and once at Pineview also years ago...just way too many for me...but they are mighty fine table fare, as many of my recipients would agree...

I remember that day when a bunch of us got into those perch at Starvation, it was a great day. I stopped at thirty and when you guys keep keeping them, I was shaking my head, because I knew what was ahead of you, thirty was plenty for me, now days I stop way short of that number.
I fished the afternoon at RP this same day and same area, but didn’t get lines in water until 4:45 due to commitments in SLC. As expected, bite was pretty slow as the sun was going behind the Mtn about the time we got set up. Same avg size but a lot fewer than JMore kept. At 9 between 3 of us, it was probably right up his alley! Wink

My main purpose here was to report on ice condition in the Pm. Edges were still solid and most of the lake ice was still solid, BUT there were several areas when my probe made some headway which made me nervous. There just needs to be more ice! I thought with several days of really cold weather, it would produce more ice, but it was much less than I had hoped. As always, be careful…especially with warmer days now forecast.
(02-14-2024, 11:54 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-14-2024, 11:41 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: No problems on or off this day, as it was still below freezing when we left...we talked to  a guy up by trucks when we left, he was fishing about 100 yds so. of us, and he kept his limit of 50...I did that once at Starvation many years ago, and once at Pineview also years ago...just way too many for me...but they are mighty fine table fare, as many of my recipients would agree...

I remember that day when a bunch of us got into those perch at Starvation, it was a great day. I stopped at thirty and when you guys keep keeping them, I was shaking my head, because I knew what was ahead of you, thirty was plenty for me, now days I stop way short of that number.

That was a way fun day..too bad Starvy couldn't keep the perch going ...amazing perch action at Hyrum, Starvation, Echo, and good average size, but they seem to not be producing, at least the past several years ....recently (at least on ice) it's just been RP for reliable perch action, in my general fishing areas...Sadly, ice about done..