Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Need A New Float Tube.....Which One?
I have a older float tube (horse-shoe shaped) that has done well for 20 years.  However its getting to the point that I don't know if I would trust it much longer so I'm looking to update.
Initially I was looking at the Pontoon style...but then got real and had to face the fact that I'll only use it a few times a year and I don't need something that big taking up room etc.  Plus who knows....I may end up taking it on a 4 wheeler ride to more remote locations. etc.
Then I went to the Outcast/FishCat/FatCat style....and also came to the conclusion that while oars may be nice....I just realisticly won't use them.
It's come down to trying to figure out the best options between the "Super Fat Cat LCS"....the "Fat Cat LCS"....or the FishCat 4 LCS.

For those with experience with any of these...can you offer up some pros/cons of them?

One of my biggest questions is the difference between the inflatable seat/back-rest compared to the foam.  I get one will pack down better....but what about comfort?  I'm guessing the foam gives more support?

I guess my list of needs would be ....Sturdy, butt up out of the water, light and easy to add back-pack straps to or load on wheeler.

Thank you for your input!!
RG
Since I have been making that decision every few years for about 60 years I know exactly what you are going through.  The difference is that you have a lot more good options these days than I did in the olden days.

The Outcast Fat Cats were my ride of choice for quite a few years.  Lots of weight capacity, good pockets and lots of D rings for attachments.  Plus a big enough space behind the seat for storage...or a battery for an electric motor.  I'm a pretty big guy and the regular Fat Cat worked well for me.  The Fish Cat is smaller, with a shorter front end, but a bit less money and less floatation.

I'd be happy to have you visit my tubeatorium sometime and show you my current ride...the North Fork Outdoors Escape.  It is a "pontube"...somewhere between a pontoon and a float tube.  It comes with oars but I don't use mine.  I make routine moves and fish while using fins, but have an electric motor for longer runs and for slow trolling and bottom bouncing.

I am attaching a writeup from the CD book I put together on Tubing and Tooning.  Also, if you wanna view the tube history of my experience, I have a YouTube video at LINK TO FLOAT TUBE VIDEO

Attached Files
.pdf   CHOOSING A CRAFT.pdf (Size: 66.01 KB / Downloads: 19)
Your size will determine the model you would need.  I wouldn't get any bigger one than you need to support your weight if you plan to take it packing or on a four wheeler.  I have had both a Fish Cat and a Fish Cat Deluxe over the years.  They are the same tube but like you said foam or inflatable seat and back rest.  I use a little of each model.  I use the inflatable seat and the foam back rest.  I also inserted a thin piece of foam under the inflatable seat which sits me up a little higher.  I have the pack straps and have carried mine a number of places and it is pretty comfortable, you just look a little foolish. Big Grin   

The one I'm using now has almost ten years on it and I have averaged 420 hours/year so I know that Outcast makes a good product. 

I'm sure you will be happy with any one of your choices.

Happy tubing Cool
I have fished out of Fat Cats for almost 20 years and I don't think you can go wrong with any of the "cats". You already have received advice from two of the most knowledgeable float anglers anywhere, so there isn't a ton to add, but i might mention a couple of "preference items" you may consider.

Super Fat Cat vs Fat Cat: I am an insufferable spazz with hooks, pens, knives and heaven knows what around inflatable items. Therefore, it would be almost inevitable that I would poke a hole and flatten the inflatable seat. I have heard some SFC users grumble about flats and others don't. I just know my luck and went with the foam. You may have better luck. It seems the air filled seats are a little more comfy.

I am about 200 lbs and fit in a Fat Cat about perfectly. I am a bit cramped in a Fish Cat. A fishing buddy is a fit 180 ish and the Fish Cat works great for him. If you are well over 2 bills, you definitely should go with the SFC or Fat Cat.

My only grumble with the entire line is back support. I have tried all manner of supports and modifications to help this, with varying success. If you have a lot of back problems, I would consider getting a pontoon or other ride.
Believe me, in the (many) decades I have been float tubing I have experienced just about any kind of seat and comfort situation you can imagine.  The manufacturers have a tough time pleasing everbody because every body is different in size, shape and comfort requirements.  So whatever you end up buying you are likely to need to make some adjustments or modifications to be able to spend a long time afloat without suffering muscle spasms, dislocations or worse.

On the subject of foam vs inflatable...I vote for foam.  All inflatable seats are subject to punctures or valve problems.  And the wrong time to find you have a problem is while you are afloat and fishing.  My worst inflatable seat situation was with a Dave Scadden H3 Freestyle tube.  The inflatable seat was made in China and on about my third use the stitching in the corrugations started  popping and the seat turned into a big round balloon instead of a nice comfy ridged seat. (See attached pic)

And since I am tall...and heavy...I also require a tall rigid back support.  Ain't no float tubes I have tried that provide either.  So I have gone through a lot of modifications and add ons...like office seats, patio chairs, etc.  (See attachment PDF file)
[Image: H3-CUSHION.jpg]

Attached Files
.pdf   TUBE SEATS & BACKRESTS.pdf (Size: 462.3 KB / Downloads: 21)
Not that you asked, but I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in...bag the float tube. I haven't used my float tube or my pontoon boat in years now. Ever since I switched to an inflatable raft, I have wondered why I ever did anything different. I love it...no need for waders, I can take it the same places I would take my tube (including the high mountain lakes that I hike into), and I can fish with another adult if I choose to. It has been a game changer! After the past 7 years with the raft, and the previous 30 with a tube...I won't look back!
(02-20-2024, 10:10 PM)wormandbobber Wrote: Not that you asked, but I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in...bag the float tube. I haven't used my float tube or my pontoon boat in years now. Ever since I switched to an inflatable raft, I have wondered why I ever did anything different. I love it...no need for waders, I can take it the same places I would take my tube (including the high mountain lakes that I hike into), and I can fish with another adult if I choose to. It has been a game changer! After the past 7 years with the raft, and the previous 30 with a tube...I won't look back!

I'll bet I know where you got the idea for the raft. Big Grin
Yeah, it's funny...when I was little, my dad and uncle would pack inflatable rafts into the Boulder and we used them exclusively. Then, float tubes became the thing, and I switched for quite a few years. Now, I can't imagine worrying about leaky waders or cold feet any more.
Thank you for all the info!  It was quite a lot to digest, but a fun watch & read.  
After watching the video and reading the files, I think I have a better idea of what I am going to look for and maybe a small modification I'll want.
This was great feeback and info - thank you, thank you, thank you!
RG